1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check out the flashes on these two rookies

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jul 12, 2015.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...ve-Backs/b69e6ca7-b3a1-4d76-8656-7adfe2096bcb

Check out the flashes of two rookies..it starts at 3:33 with Mccain and finishes with all of lippetts INTS.

Bobby Mccain and Lippett..

Mccain at 3:33 is a ridiculous ability to plant and explode after recognition, I mean that is what you call a flash..Lipppett displaying seemingly an understanding and feel for whats going on in space, and obviously hand eye coordination..

if these two corners pan out with where they were drafted, {size, frame and tackling ability will be huge question mark} we may of find a gem in dennis hickey..

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Bobby McCain is a great athlete. Fast, quick, and explosive. He's also got some ball skills based on the little film I've seen of him. He lacks size, but hopefully he's watching Brent Grimes closely. At the very least, I think McCain becomes a very good nickle QB in the long term. I'm praying Lippett turns into Richard Sherman 2.0. He's got the ball skills, that's for sure.

the 23rd and Fin4Ever like this.
  3. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I watched that yesterday and had the same reaction, BUT I've seen great off-seasons lead to getting cut so if he produces anything at all this year I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The guy he made me think of was Troy Brown. Troy was an indispensable player for NE and he had to switch from WR to DB during one season to help the team with depth and he actually made some plays and and team rallied around that and they won that year. To me, that's a great story of how the culture in NE was just top-notch 10 years ago. Guys would fill whatever roles they had to and work together to win and it's how they made it through and how they beat other, equally talented football teams.

If he can make the switch to playing DB full-time in order to add some depth to the Dolphins secondary while simultaneously contributing on special teams this year, he'll have done his job.

Then again, there are boat-loads of guys competing on the back-end of the defense (which is good news!) so he'll have to have prepare really well to out-do some of those other, more experience guys. We should also keep in mind that if he plays, it's probably either a long-term development thing down the road or it'll be after someone goes down with injury so he's not going to be a week-1 impact player. It's going to be slow growth. Maybe he's there to make a big play toward the end of the season the way Michael Thomas did a couple years ago. That would be great.

Until then, it's all about patience.

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I really hope Lippett continues to look good in TC.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    thats cool, whatta you think about the flashes displayed.?

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    preseason games when they get their shots are always exciting for me, to see them flash make them important.

7. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, you can't tell much but it's certainly good to see someone in his position as a young player not afraid to get his hands on the ball. He's doing what you want to see young players do which is stand out against other hopefuls. His job is to make the coach's decision an easy one.

What I saw with Lippett jumping the route was that he read the play really quickly and broke on the ball knowing he could get there. it was a confident play indicating he saw it coming which could be something to do with that day's practice, good instincts or a good read on the WR/QB. Who knows? Everyone has good days though. Guys in his position are judged based on how much they learn and how consistent they appear.

The down-field throw toward the pylon looked like an under-throw. I'd expect any guy in Lippett's position to make the catch on that and record the INT. It shows a little bit of reliability but not much else IMO.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the play your describing where the route was jumped was not lippett it was mccain..

yeah their just flashes but i dug em..

9. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Except everyone in our secondary not named Brent Grimes usually drop those...

10. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Whoops, my mistake. Wasn't watching carefully yesterday. I'll make a note of McCain...he looks like a good candidate. ;)

11. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I wouldn't say that. Reshad Jones and Louis Delmas are pretty reliable veterans who make the catch when they can.

When the Dolphins find a reliable CB to put opposite Grimes, they'll start getting reliable production. So far, injuries and youth have prevented that.

12. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Love that INT Lippet made on the sideline; he went up and after that ball just like a confident receiver.

Fin4Ever and CashInFist like this.
  13. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Not McCain, and definitely not Lippett....He was voted the Big Ten' s best receiver last year.

CashInFist likes this.
  14. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Believe me brother. I know all about Tony Lippett. He was easily my favorite pick of the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fin4Ever likes this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    expand or expound upon that whichever works for you?

16. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    My son and I watched a TON of film on Tony Lippett leading up to the draft. I was intrigued by his size and versatility. I mean, who the hell plays Iron Man football these days?? He was also a special teams demon for MSU. And I have to admit that I had visions of Richard Sherman watching Lippett play. He is a player with extremely high character and seems to be humble and down to earth. His teammates and coaches absolutely adored him.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...lippett-caps-big-week-msu-mvp-award/20087239/

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tony_lippett_716692.html

[video=youtube;SmbWCSuQf4g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmbWCSuQf4g[/video]

[video=youtube;lMyasvk0F7U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMyasvk0F7U[/video]

[video=youtube;lcX6caA1I0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcX6caA1I0c[/video]

[video=youtube;X9Ot68r2_ko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Ot68r2_ko[/video]

There's a crap load more videos and articles out there on him, but this is a pretty good small sample size.

I literally jumped out of my chair when we drafted Lippett in the 5th round. I thought for sure somebody would take him in the 3rd where we didn't have a pick. We are very fortunate to get a player like him in the 5th.

the 23rd, DolphinGreg and djphinfan like this.
  17. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    So he is working out exclusively at CB right? I mean just watching some of those videos, we have to bring this guy in at WR for Red Zone packages.

18. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Yes only CB. But, I thought about possibly bringing him in for a big RZ target too. Not sure if Philbin will do that though. At least probably not in his rookie season unless due to injury. He is raw at CB and needs to focus 100% on that right now, IMO.