1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chimpanzee demonstrates premeditated thought

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Trowa, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article5877764.ece

NaboCane, unluckyluciano and Fin D like this.
  2. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I can't edit the title? I made an typo.

3. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Do they use the underarm method when they fling their poo?

GISH likes this.
  4. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i think if you click edit post on your first post and go into advanced options it lets you change it

as for the thread, i saw stewart/colbert (i honestly forget which one) mention this tonight... pretty awesome if you ask me. i think they should provide the ape with comical things to huck at the guests.

5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

:hi5: gotcha covered brother.

Trowa likes this.
  6. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    On a serious note, the ramifications from this discovery are astounding. This adds further evidence to proving the theory of evolution, for one. Posing new ethical quandaries in reference to testing on Primates, or animals in general. It also adds a completely different dimension to animal biology/zoology already and even further if it can be found that other animals are capable of processing conscious, deliberate, premeditated thought.

Also, this makes monkey butlers a real possibility now. :lol:

Seriously, why is no one interested in this?

Fin D likes this.
  7. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Uh oh. That also makes Planet of The Apes more realistic.

NaboCane and opfinistic like this.
  8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The Chimpanzee, although very intelligent, can only develop a mental capacity equal to that of a 5 Year Old child.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I've always felt this was a deceiving statement.

Think about it for a second, what can't a 5 year old learn?

10. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Your point?

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If you don't already, I highly, highly recommend watching Orangutan Island. There is no greater evidence of evolution that you can see with your own two eyes while its happening.

I haven't commented on this much, because I've become the site's unofficial animal person, but this "discovery" is really nothing new. I'm glad its been a huge news story, but how is this really different than a squirrel collecting food for the winter? That's just a squirrel. We are going to find that our concepts of what defines intelligence are going to change in the near future.

Trowa and NaboCane like this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Opie = Chimp?

HardKoreXXX and opfinistic like this.
  13. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Oh no you didn't!

Seriously though this is fascinating.

Fin D likes this.
  14. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, Im not saying 5 year olds aren't, or can't be very smart. But they are clearly limited in mental capacity. Their brain(s) have only begun to develop.

15. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    I'm reporting all of you.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is why i said its misleading.

I believe you could teach a five year old any ONE or COUPLE of things. Can they know as many things as an adult? No. But they can know one thing as good as any adult?

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Shut up, take this candy, and get in the van.

opfinistic likes this.
  18. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    how long before the monkey carves a knife and grabs a baby to hold hostage? then he escapes and shows all the other monkies how to make weapons. Then we are gonna have to fight Gorillas, Chimps, and Monkeys on a daily basis as they take over the world.

opfinistic likes this.
  19. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    damned dirty apes

opfinistic likes this.
  20. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Shoulda used Caps Locks. Heston would be ashamed. :pity:

Fin D likes this.
  21. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i hardly think this proves premeditated thought, as pre-meditated would mean (at least to me) that the chimp is realizing something unexpected is going to happen and he's preparing for it. from the sounds of it, the chimp gets harassed each and every day, and from an evolutionary standpoint, if this harassment is affecting him eating, sleeping or doing anything else that he feels hurts his chances for survival/attracting a mate, he's going to learn a trait to help prevent it. in this case, he has learned that flinging rocks at people will make them go away, so it is logical that he would gather rocks to use later in the day.

i'm not trying to down the observational study, because I do believe chimps are highly intelligent, but I think all this specific experiment proves is that chimps operate at a higher level of intelligence, which we already knew.

i was going to make the squirrel argument earlier in this thread, but on further thought I don't quite think its the same. i understand the basis behind it, but the gathering of nuts isn't necessarily a 'learned' trait. the squirrels are wired to do it, though I'm sure they are 'taught' how to do it by their parents when they are young. regardless, since that is something every squirrel does, I see it as a bit different.

Trowa likes this.
  22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Premeditated in no way has anything to do with "unexpected".

–adjective
    done deliberately; planned in advance: a premeditated murder.

–verb (used with object), -tat⋅ed, -tat⋅ing.
    to meditate, consider, or plan beforehand: to premeditate a murder.

v. tr.
    To plan, arrange, or plot (a crime, for example) in advance.
    v. intr.
    To reflect, ponder, or deliberate beforehand.

adj. Characterized by deliberate purpose, previous consideration, and some degree of planning: a premeditated crime.

adjective
    characterized by deliberate purpose and some degree of planning; "a premeditated crime" [ant: unpremeditated]

One of man's traditional prerequisites for higher intelligence, is the capacity for premeditation.

Not every squirrel does do it though. Some squirrels that have a steady supply of food, do not horde. I've seen it with my own eyes, in many of the countless squirrels I've rescued. Regardless, it is formulating and carrying out a plan. Also consider that squirrels will find alternate places to store food, besides where they live. Some dogs bury bones, some don't. Elephants will incorporate places where other elephants died into their yearly rounds. A cow at the farm i work at, will wait for a person to be alone driving the Mule (Kawasaki kind) through the gate, to try and make a break for it. I encourage you to read up on Alex the African Grey Parrot, if you haven't already.

The point is, man's qualifications for intelligence will evolve. Truth be told, we so little about our own, I'm not sure we're even qualified to make decisions of any other's intelligence level.

Trowa and pennphinfan like this.
  23. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I realize that unexpected doesn't exactly mean premeditated, but all I'm trying to say I suppose is that many animals do many things that could be considered "premeditated", if the only criteria is that they do something to prepare for an event that happens later. Building shelters, storing food, spinning webs, Killing babies to influence mates, etc.

You're right in that it is impossible to fully determine the level of conscious thought of other species, but it's something that we are always going to attempt.

I think it is very possible, and indeed probable, that many animals are capable of premeditated thought. What this means as far as 'intelligence' though, is impossible to say confidently

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Exactly. Most creatures plan ahead, which either means most creatures are intelligent or we have to start rethinking what actual intelligence is based on.

The real problem, is all we really do is compare intelligence to our own, whether it be on a macro scale or even a micro one (Jack is so stupid, he can't spell, even though Jack is a math genius.) I think a time will come when we recognize different types of intelligence, and realize our own intelligence is nothing more than an ability not unlike a bird's ability to fly. (After all, I'm sure the frog would say, Human's are stupid, they can't live in water and land, even though they can do math.)

pennphinfan likes this.
  25. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Are we really arguing over this?

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Um, no. It doesn't appear that anyone is arguing.

pennphinfan likes this.
  27. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    well, we're debating it, and if you don't want to add then don't worry your little self aboot it.

Fin D likes this.
  28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Good, anyone care to ask what the chimp that ripped that woman's face off was thinking?

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Probably the same thing any human thinks when they commit violence.

30. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007

he had Lyme desease, made him crazy

31. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    OK...(take this with a grain of salt guys :lol:)

So we have a chimp showing some skills which further proves evolution...

I guess the fact that one of my African Grey's can speak better than the other means that proves it too and that soon the will start talking like us, plot and then they'll develop legs and leathery/scaly skin and become Ghidorah's! :wink2:

Nevermind how this just 'happens'. Just know it does and its complicated as hell! Yet, it just 'happens'...or call it survival of the fittest...sounds better! We are still awaiting men who live in arctic conditions to develop fur like bears but its all good! That's what the MAN-BEAR-PIG is! Never seen one? Dont worry, you won't, as it happens over a gazillion years and while we are at it, add on a few more million since what the hell it sounds cooler the older you make it sound!

I am sure someone will come up with a likewise sarcastic post in response...to that I say in advance touche!:up::knucks:

[​IMG][​IMG]