1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris Chambers puzzled by our WR situation.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Sep 30, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

2. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    My thoughts? Painful.

PSG likes this.
  3. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    So am I Chris, so am I.

Aquafin and PSG like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Tannehill the rookie playing without a legitimate 3,4,5.

That's a pretty bad plan.

PSG likes this.
  5. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    fify

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He's got a legitimate 3, 4, 5. He doesn't have a legitimate 1, 2.

7. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Hey Ireland Lovers, chew on this: :lol:

:crapstrom:

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The one among those that makes the least sense to me was Jacoby Jones. When the Texans got rid of him I talked about him a lot. He would have been a good return man as well as a decent receiver, and he was cheap. I mean if you didn't think Vincent Jackson was worth a $26 million gamble because of his past, I could understand that. And if you thought Reggie Wayne was too old for a rebuilding offense, I'm not sure I agree with that, but whatever. Brandon Lloyd wasn't going anywhere other than NE. But it doesn't just end with those guys. Considering Miami's only speed guy was Clyde Gates, and Joe Philbin seemed pretty reticent about that guy from Day 1, why aren't you considering Devin Aromashodu, Donnie Avery or Brandon Tate? Any of those three would be contributing here and you had the chance to sign them in time to participate in training camp, unlike Anthony Armstrong whom you had to wait until an hour before the season started. You can't tell me guys like Steve Smith (the lesser), Jerome Simpson or Mario Manningham wouldn't be welcome here right about now, as well.

Any of these guys are one Tony McDaniel excision away from being fully paid-for.

MrClean and PSG like this.
  9. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree with CK. The Dolphins have great 3 and 4 receivers in Hartline and Bess. The Dolphins just don't have any legitimate 1 and 2 receivers. To me this has been Ireland's biggest weakness as the teams GM. He has been unable to upgrade the receiving positions on the offense and the secondary on defense.

The WR's, TE, and secondary positions are the three major weaknesses on this team. While Ireland has done a decent job in building the offensive and defensive lines. Millions of dollars were spent, along with high picks to upgrade these position. The Dolphins now have quality defensive and offensive lines. What they don't have is anyone on offense, except Bush, who is a player the opposing team has to worry about.

Hartline, Bess, and Fasano, have been with the Dolphins since Parcells was running the Dolphins. Ireland has yet to select a single receiver who is better than any of these three players. In fact Gates, Egnew, Clay, Cunningham, and Matthews are the receivers selected by Ireland over the past two years. Gates and Cunningham were cut by the Dolphins. Egnew and Matthews have been on the inactive list all regular season. Clay has been a major disappointment and appears to be taking steps backward, instead of forward.

The receivers Ireland has signed as free agents have so far been non-productive. The fact Naanee was signed to come in and be the replacement for Marshall is a joke, While I was no big fan of the Marshall's antics. At least he was a quality receiver most of the time and a player other teams were concerned with. Naanee on the other hand has a grand total of zero catches in three regular season games. This just is not acceptable.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I see what you did there..and you are correct sir.

I just find it offputting that we don't have youngsters battling for position 3 thru 6.

Mexphin likes this.
  11. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Hartline could make a case for the number two this year. All he really needs is consistency.

12. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Unfortunately that has been Hartline's problem since he came to the Dolphins. So far this season, he has had 13 catches and 9 of those were in one game. I think Hartline would be an excellent third option on a team with two quality receivers. Right now though, Hartline has trouble getting separation from the better CB's in the NFL. The Raiders didn't have quality CB's and therefore Hartline was able to have a great game. The Jets and Texans have quality DB's and Hartline was only able to catch four balls total on these two games.

As a third receiver, Hartline would be going up against a backup DB and not one of the starting CB's. I think he could be very effective each week in this scenario. I just don't see him being a consistent threat with the present situation he finds himself in with the Dolphins. This isn't his fault. He just isn't a true # 1 or 2 WR, IMO.

13. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    He dropped a TD and got open against the Jests multiple times. As I recall he was open to seal the game late and Tannehill just missed him. You can say that if he was faster it's a completion, but you can say that about any WR on an overthrow. He can get open and has great hands, just needs to show both more consistantly. I don't see him beating double teams, or world class corners, but that isn't a #2 job IMO.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    We brought in four youngsters in Jeff Fuller, Rishard Matthews, B.J. Cunningham and Derek Moye, and had them compete with other returning youngsters like Marlon Moore, Roberto Wallace and Clyde Gates. It just so happens that of them, only perhaps one (Matthews) is truly worth a damn.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's a sub-optimal #2 and an optimal #3 on a team whose #1 or #2 is a guy that regularly works the slot.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The problem with this line of thinking is that Brian Hartline is probably legitimately the only Z receiver in the league that has 4.52 speed. He's a little bit of a contradiction as a player and that's why he's not optimal. He's good, don't get me wrong I have always liked him (well not always, I didn't like him as a draft pick but was quickly impressed with him as a rookie), but to say he's a good #2 in this league, I'm not sure I would go there.

17. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think the idea is to develop Ryan Tannehill this year, and I suspect Joe Philbin wants two guys out there who are smart enough, focused enough, and run routes well enough to be exactly where they're supposed to be on passing plays.

Jabar Gaffney and Plaxico Burress may offer things Bess and Hartline don't, but if they fall far enough short of them on what I've mentioned above, which is what in fact may be most important to Joe Philbin in Ryan Tannehill's developmental season, Philbin may not believe it's worth the trade-off.

Philbin is too smart not to have fully analyzed this. Chris Chambers is talking about personnel decisions made with the goal of winning, whereas Joe Philbin may be making personnel decisions with the goal of developing Ryan Tannehill in the most effective way possible.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Chris Chambers is just a little more focused on what Jabbar Gaffney and Plaxico Burress have to offer than LEGEDU NAANEE and ANTHONY ARMSTRONG don't...not Davone Bess and Brian Hartline. I mean, that was stated pretty explicitly in the article.

SICK likes this.
  19. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    You think Jabar Gaffney and Plaxico Burress are going to sit on the bench behind Davone Bess and Brian Hartline without causing a stir?

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Of course.

21. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Why wouldn't they?
    It's either sit on the bench (which is debatable anyway) and collect a paycheck or sit on their lazyboys and collect nothing.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    They're freaking unemployed right now. I'm pretty sure they'd welcome the chance to come onto a team and be the #3 and/or #4 guy.

Besides, Gaffney's played just about his whole career as a #3 or #4. He could hardly object to it now. Plaxico has played second fiddle before. If he wants a job he has to be OK with being a #3 or #4. Simple as that.

23. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You see him as a 2 and I see him as a very good three. The fact is that I could live with him as a 2, if the Dolphins actually had a very solid # 1. I just think that he would be that much more effective as a 3. He wouldn't have to constantly be going up against the best two CB's on the opposing team. Last week he was going against the Jets second best CB for the majority of the game and he had a tough time getting open.

The reality is that neither Hartline or Bess can be expected to be consistent until Tannehill develops more, and the Dolphins actually add a true number one receiver to this roster.

24. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Well I would take Chambers ,Plax ,and a 45 year old Lamar Thomas over this group of invisable wideouts.

we could have traded up just one spot and taken Blackmon and then next season take qb what his name now , damn it al what the heck, :pity:

25. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    You're assuming we are even in position to take whats his name.(BTW it's Barkley)

26. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I am puzzled why Jabbar Gaffney is sitting out there and Naanee is gainfully employed.

jsizzle and Nappy Roots like this.
  27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think you are in the majority on this forum. Why Naanee is even still on an NFL roster, much less the Dolphins is a major mystery to me.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007

Special teams is my guess

29. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I am sure that Gaffney and Burress would gladly come in as backups. Seeing our receiver situation they would probably both feel confident that they could step in and contribute and let the results speak for themselves.