1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chris grier officially named gm

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vinny Fins, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
  2. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Doesn't matter, Tannenbaum is the real GM.

dolphin25 and Tone_E like this.
  3. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    He's a puppet GM for Tannen.

dolphin25 and Tone_E like this.
  4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    They were just looking for a Yes Man that TBaum can completely influence, but I've only heard good things about Grier anyway.

dolphin25 and Finster like this.
  5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Copy and paste the Twitter link as a 'video' link and you get:

[video=twitter;684051736420610049]https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/684051736420610049[/video]

Additionally:

[video=twitter;684054838703869953]https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/684054838703869953[/video]

6. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Sweet, looks like Tannenbaum has a plan in place. Can't wait to see how January and this coaching search unfolds.

7. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Does the GM spot require a Rooney Rule candidate too?

dolphin25 likes this.
  8. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
  9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Good tip. Didn't know about that.

10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    That fact should scare the heck out of Dolphin fans. I have zero confidence in Tannebaum as a GM. All you have to do is look at the mess he left in New York to understand he is way over his head in his present position with the Dolphins.

dolphin25 likes this.
  11. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    He is the Rooney rule candidate. He happens to be African/American, therefore there is no reason to interview anyone else if he is the person they hire for the position.

12. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well this should just go to show you that this whole process will be a PR scheme. No big name head Coach is coming in. Who wan'ts to have their hands tied with someone they don't work well with? I bet they bring back campbell for a 2 year deal and say lets get some players and see what happens. They still feel this team is on the cusp but they are wrong... We need 3 years of talent to get us over the hump... I DONT WANT TO have a learn on the JOB coach / GM we tried that for years and nothing worked...

jw3102 likes this.
  13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Ugh. 2016 and they are still sticking with #strongertogether. I don't know how much longer I can support a team that shoves this cheesy bull**** in my face all day long.

14. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If he has any significant sway on the player acquisition process, it's heartening that he was head of college scouting. If the powers that be respect his opinion when making difficult calls, hopefully his experience scouting college players can lead to some solid decisions.

15. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Naming a GM seems counter to a truly "exhaustive" head coaching search where you consider any and all candidates, power structures, etc.

Meh...

dolphin25 likes this.
  16. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

****. You guys are bitter.

Congrats to Chris Grier. Hopefully he can do what others have not. I am rooting for him.

17. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Exactly. By putting Tannebaum in charge and him hiring a yes man as his GM, no quality head coach who wants real input into how this team is put together is going to want this job. Especially when there are going to be much better opportunities available for the high quality head coaching candidates with other teams.

They are setting it up for Philpin #2. When all is said and done, they will end up hiring someone that none of the other teams with a head coaching position available want to hire.

Tannebaum isn't a good GM and all Grier will be under Tannebaum is a GM in name only.

Once again Ross is showing that he doesn't have a clue when it comes to being an NFL owner. I predict in three years, Tannebaum will be fired, Grier will be gone and the soon to be names HC will be on his way out the door too.

Ross needed to start from scratch with a whole new front office and a new coaching staff. Instead he keeps Tannrbaum, moves a long time personnel guy up in the organization and now limits the number of head coaching candidates who will even be interested in the job.

My guess is they will be turned down by their first five choices and end up with their sixth choice. Who will only take the job because no one else is offering him the opportunity to be an NFL head coach.

dolphin25 likes this.
  18. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Every new Coaching staff should get a clean slate no need to already call it a failure

19. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not bitter. i have just grown tired of the same BS from this clueless owner. I am almost at the point of becoming apathetic in regards to the team I have followed and rooted for the last 50 years.

Once total apathy sets it, it won't matter what this clueless owner does, because by then, I won't care anymore.

mlb1399 likes this.
  20. Samphin

Why do you guys want a head coach that has a GM responsibilities anyway? We did that for a long time here an it didn't work. Typically, you want your GM and upper management in place FIRST, and then hire the employees. This is the first time Miami has gotten this right in a LONG time.

Tannenbaum already stated that the new HC would have input with the roster. Grier's job will be to take his knowledge of the available talent (college and pros), and try to go and get the players that fit the team the best under the new coach. This isn't a bad thing. It is, in fact, a good thing.

The coach's job is to take the talent, and win football games with it. Clear, defined roles. Organization and structure. Something that has been missing from this franchise for a long time.

And Tannenbaum overseas the entire process. I would trust him over Stephen Ross who used to be in that role for a few year as well as owner.

number21 and Dolphin Don like this.
  21. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I think Campbell is the man.

22. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Every fanbase should get a clean slate from time to time too. Now is that time and I just wish Ross would sell the team so we can hopefully get an owner who knows how to hire competent people to run his football team.

I do not trust for one minute that Ross knows anything when it comes to hiring quality football people to build and run this team.

I appreciate you are willing to give the next coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. I just believe it all starts at the top and our top is clueless.

23. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    what 15 years of **** doesn't make you question anything? LOL we have all lost faith.. Depending on the new coach I might as well start looking forward to 2018's next coaching search..

24. Samphin

The fanbase is slightly off the rails, in my opinion.

The Miami Dolphins have been mismanaged and a complete disaster for awhile now. Hiring people out of order, coaching searches that were flawed from the very beginning and an owner who, for everything he has accomplished in the business world, couldn't apply basic functions of business to his football hobby.

The fact that they now have a Vice President with a football background in Mike Tannenbaum, overseeing a process in which he just hired his own General Manager for the first time, who will be involved in hiring his own Head Coach for the first time, who will then have the ability to hire his own staff, is a great thing.

They are finally acting like a business and not a bunch of monkeys ****ing a bowling ball. Finally this team has some structural integrity at the top, and that tends to trickle down throughout an organization.

Now, with that being said, they still have to hire the right PEOPLE to fill those roles. Whether Tannenbaum, Grier and the new HC are in fact, those people, remains to be seen. But honestly, I am a fan of how they have cleaned up this formally convoluted mess of a front office flow chart to a much more linear approach, with defined lines of who reports to whom.

So no, I won't take shots at Chris Grier...yet. He hasn't done anything for me to take shots at. He has been with Miami a long time and seems like a guy who wants to see this team succeed and now has a direct way of doing so.

So yeah, while the last 20 years or so have been brutal, there is no reason to kill the next guy...yet.

dgfred, Pandarilla, number21 and 2 others like this.
  25. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Why don't you wait until we find out who the next HC is. The wait won't be that long. I can understand your view of Tannenbaum and Grier (even though I'm not as negative on them as you), but you can't be down on the next HC until we know who he is.

dolphin25 likes this.
  26. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I want a head coach and a GM who can work together and are on the same page when it comes to building an effective offense and defense.

As far as Tannebaum is concerned. I do not think he is the best man for the job he has with the Dolphins. He ruined the Jets through his drafting and his handling of the cap. I fear he will leave the Dolphins in worse shape than they were when he was hired.

He has been here one year. He vastly overpaid for Suh and added no other players in free agency who upgraded this team this past season. The Dolphins were 8-8 the past two seasons and after the first season with Tannebaum running the show, they are 6-10.

If you are satisfied with Tannebaum as head of football operations. That is great for you. As for me, I just fear we are going to see more of the same with him in charge and we will be back here in three years, if not sooner, going through yet another coaching change and another rebuilding program.

I was hoping for a complete overhaul of the front office and coaching staff . All we got in the front office was a reshuffling of what was already there and I think that makes hiring a quality head coach that much harder.

dolphin25 likes this.
  27. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Do you pronounce it like "gr-eye-er", or "gr-ear"?

28. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It isn't that I am down on the next head coach. My issue is that I don't feel the Dolphins will be able to hire the best available candidates because they have Tannebaum running the team.

Obviously I will root for the team no matter who the coach is. Because I have rooted for them for 50 years. But I am just sick and tired of seeing them settle for head coaches no one else wanted to hire. Maybe this time it will be different, but with Ross as the owner and Tannebaum as the head of football operations, I am wary of who the next head coach will be.

dolphin25 likes this.
  29. Samphin

Well, hiring a GM/HC combo that can work together is what they are trying to do, currently. From an organizational standpoint, it makes sense to hire the GM first and make sure that he is involved in hiring HIS employee (i.e. the HC) to ensure that there is a better chance that everyone is on the same page, philosophy-wise. So your first wish (and I assume your top priority since you led with that) is being fulfilled, as we speak (or type, rather).

Tannenbaum was the General Manager in New York. The the VP of Football Operations The roles are very different. He does not handle the cap, nor does he get down to the granular level for drafting college players. He probably has final say on all decisions and contracts, but he relies on his people to do their jobs and bring him the information needed in order to make an informed decision on such matters.

In other words, the head coach and general manager will be working together to get the players they feel they need in order to compete and essentially going to Mike for final approval. Can he override? Sure. Will he? Who knows.

Did we overpay for Suh? Probably. But he was also (along with Reshad Jones) our best play on defense by a WIDE margin and a vocal leader on a team that seems to suffer from total apathy in that department. Quite frankly, the only two players on defense that are untouchable going into next season are those two guys. Everyone else should be on notice.

I am also not going to hang the 6-10 record on Tannenbaum. At least not completely. It would be foolish to do so considering he has been here for such a short amount of time. It has taken awhile to accurately diagnose some of the troubles in Miami (i.e. coaching, general manger, etc.), for which, in my opinion, Mike should be applauded. He rid the franchise of Philbin, Coyle and Lazor, and just took care of Hickey (who none of us seemed to want from day one) and has wrestled final say away from an owner who can't seem to help himself when it comes to meddling and tinkering with his football toy until he breaks it.

Mike gives us stability and a clear leader at the top. I can appreciate that. He has put a process in place and is trying to cobble together the pieces of a shattered franchise and put them back together. Which means he will have to deal with some hard issues going forward (Grimes, Wake, Miller, Matthews, coaching search, etc.) that might make him unpopular. But issues that he has to meet head on to try and bring, not only stability, but sustainability, which ultimately brings success.

Again, whether he and his crew are the guys to do that, I am not sure. But I do like what he has implemented from an organizational standpoint. Something that has been missing for over a decade.

number21 likes this.
  30. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    in theory good coaches want say over their own people.

31. Samphin

Define "own people'?

Tannenbaum has already gone on record that the new coach will have complete autonomy on hiring their own staff, as well as input on the roster.

I am not sure how much more a coach can ask for without stretching themselves too thin.

Again, I think people are reacting for the sake of reacting, rather than looking at what is actually being done. Tannenbaum is cracking eggs in order to try and make an omelette.

Pandarilla likes this.
  32. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Is there a coach on the market who deserves to be able to hand pick their own personnel guy? I don't see one.

Samphin likes this.
  33. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Looks like he just replaced a possible voice of dissent with a yes man, or next yes man up.

Do you guys think Ross will install a 30 ft. Holographic projection of himself when Tannenbaum takes conference calls from New York? Because Hickey just got Kylo Renned...