1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris Johnson: How does Miami stop him?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Dec 15, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

their best bet of stopping him is to make tackles. that sounds like a joke but we've whiffed on one too many this season. got a bad feeling if we whiff on him he's gone.

first guy to him has to get him or slow him down enough to the point where others can come in and help.

preferably behind the LOS

2. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Same way they stopped Jones-Drew. I have a lot of faith in Miami's front seven now. Starks is a beast. Everyone is stepping up!

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Reggie Torbor has been playin some good ball, him being on the field more gives us a better chance of slowing johnson down.

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Are you sure about that? I saw the game. Save for a few long runs and a long TD catch on a play he should have been blocking inside instead of sliding outside, more than half of his carries were for 2 yards or less:

- St. Louis is ranked 27th in the league against the rush, giving up 147.2 yds/gm on the ground. Johnson had 117 yards.

- Of Chris Johnson's 28 carries, 16 went for 2 yards or less, with 10 going for no gain or less: 8 carries for negative yards (28% of his carries) and 2 for no gain at all. Over a quarter of his carries went for negative yardage. In his game prior, he only had 5 plays of 2 yards or less.

- In 16 carries, Johnson rushed for a WHOPPING -3 yards! That's a -0.1875 average per carry.

- So 57% of his carries against a 27th ranked defense against the run went for -0.1875 yds per carry. Doesn't sound like he's being the old Chris Johnson to me.

Granted, the guy in the open field is as dangerous as they come, and he did score 3 TDs. But this game against a very bad defense might be indicative of him slowing down a bit if one looks at each individual play. I am only pointing out that, even though he got his numbers, his entire body work was not that great.

Again, the guy will probably no doubt get 100+ yards and a TD or two. But he was not that explosive against a paltry defense. Was it his ankle? Is he slowing down? And if one takes away the 66 yd pass play, he had two catches for 3 yards total. Looking at his overall stats, one would think he was just running all over St. Louis. And for a handful of plays, he did. But the majority of his carries were just terrible. I find it hard to believe the Rams all of a sudden came up with a spectacular gameplan in one week against the best runningback in football when they've been poor against the run all year.

IMO, it was, for the most part, a poor performance by Chris Johnson. I am only asking why that is......

djphinfan likes this.