1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Ponder Running Behing Joe Webb

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by schmolioot, Aug 25, 2011.

1. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
  2. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Once McNabb was signed he was the starter and now they can take their time and develope him while he learns the offence.His time will come but sometimes you throw a young QB out there to early and they don't recover,get a little gun shy and lose their mojo.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Andy Dalton is doing poorly in Cinci as well./

4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Well, with the number of QBs taken in the first half of round 1, several are bound to disappoint.

Cincy is in trouble though. Dalton looked very poor.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I wasn't one of those that was particularly high on Ponder. I thought he would eventually develop into anther Trent Edwards. But we have to let these guys develop. Too many people are pronouncing verdicts on these young QBs after 1 or 2 years or in this case 1 month.

texanphinatic likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What bothers me about this Rafi, is the legion of people, who went ballistic after we passed on taking a Qb with the #15, or failing to trade up to draft a Qb.

"If" these guys flame out, the same chorus will disappear, when it is a good opportunity to learn a bit as a fan.

Mainly: A need does not justify a pick, the prospect could be a poor one and the more you pay, the more you cost the Franchise for the mistake.

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    That's true, but I think that the Ponder pick would have been justified. Just my opinion.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree. People always say that 1st round QBs fail 50% of the time, but that's only b/c teams so often reach out of need. I looked back at my QB picks once and I was at approximately 80% and even among those I feel a few would have made it if they were given time to develop.

9. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Since I'm probably one of the people you're referring to I'll simply respond this way:

I am aware that young QB's take time to develop and some struggle early. I did not advocate just taking any QB prospect at 15. I thought Mallett was a reasonable selection there and he was certainly a reasonable selection at the spot we traded up to so we could take Daniel Thomas.

Since we also know that the dolphins had Locker and Ponder rated very highly, I question why we didn't trade up for them, if we thought they were franchise QB's.

And lastly, nobody, espescially me, is saying that Ponder sucks or is a bust because he is 3rd string right now. However, you would think, and I think it's reasonable, that Ponder should be able to ebat out Joe Webb fairly easily.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    We actually don't "know" what the Dolphin's ratings were for Locker or Ponder. All we have are rumors.

11. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Dave Hyde and Boomer both reprted that Lokcer was #1 on their board and that Ponder was ranked ahead of Pouncey. That's good enough for me.