1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CK's Mock Draft 3/27/09

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Conuficus, Mar 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Here you go guys. This will be available to the masses tomorrow as it should appear on Walterfootball.com amongst other places.

But here's a first crack at it an hour early of it officially debuting - date wise.

http://universaldraft.com/CK_s_2009_Mock_Draft.html

phineas64, The Rev, GoPhins! and 10 others like this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Love the mock bro, Beanie to the Bengals is not as unlikely as some think and Johnson may be a little to physically gifted to pass on at 25.

texanphinatic and Conuficus like this.
  3. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Personally, I don't like Michael Johnson at all. He's a waste of gifted athletic talent. No heart, no desire, plays soft and plays like he's afraid of contact. I don't think it's because of inexperience or because "of a body that he had not grown into yet" (whatever that means). He just lacks dedication. I hope we pass. Just my take.

Bpk likes this.
  4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    We're going to draft the 6'6" man with a 6" neck....

Conuficus and BuckeyeKing like this.
  5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Do not like our pick at all.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Great stuff CK, well done. Love the Bengals taking Beanie, and nice to see someone not hating on him for once and acknowledging what he can bring to the table.
    About the only thing I can find a fault with is Knowshon passing out of the first round. I think there are a decent number of teams that could take a hard look at him. The Saints, Texans, Pats, Eagles and ofc the Cards all could use some RB help in one way or another.

And dont be shocked if the Bills reach for someone, its not something they are shy about and have done in the past several times. Perria Jerry I would say is a possibility.

Thanks for the read!

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Bengals might roll the dice on Andre Smith.

Don't see Johnson for us, and would be genuinely surprised by the pick. That said, CK studies draft tendencies more than I do, so he may be onto something. I hope not though. lol.

Interesting to see how much consensus there is on the following guys:

Stafford to DET
    Maybin to BUF
    Jackson to DEN
    One of the USC LBs to HOU
    An OL to PHI
    A WR to NYG

Across the league and the media, those seem to be generally agreed upon things, so Chris is in-step there. A lot of interesting departures, however.

Ziggy Hood at 19 to Tampa? Interesting. I had them figured for another QB. Freeman if he isn't off the board.

Britton at 20. I know his stock has been rising, but that's interesting. I like him, I think he isn't a bad pick at that spot, and give Chris props for placing him that high when most outlets have him 25-45.

Maclin that low, huh? Even with his return ability added in?

Giants are reaching to take Britt in the first.

Just my opinions.

I love the draft.

8. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i like it , i also think that Larry English is not a 1st rounder anymore, also don´t you think that the eagles have their deep threat in deshean jackson ?

9. Clumpy

Clumpy Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 10, 2007
    Can see The Ralph!!
    If that's what available at #11, I would hope the Bills could trade down a few spots

If Miami gets a chance at Macklin, I would be shocked if y'all passed him over.......oh wait, Ginn over Quinn :tongue2:

10. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i know you were joking partially but...

different regime :up:

to stay on topic..

i liked what I saw. the phins pick was right at the position (i'm torn between CB/OLB) and i agree with the eagles pick as far as position goes as well. i'm glad to see someone also has the raiders not taking a WR for once as well..

Clumpy likes this.
  11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Just remember that like me, Chris will toy with ideas of where people go. Plus, this is his first one. You can't start out with the best one you have; otherwise what else would you be able to write afterwards?

Maybe this Mock will make you check back to see what he's done the next time? :wink2: Hhhhhmmmm, I smell a tactic. :lol:

padre31 and Bpk like this.
  12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Why do you think Britt is a reach at the end of rd 1?

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  13. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    If 1-24 go the way CK predicts, I see us taking Laurinitis or Britt.

14. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would be really disappointed if we drafted Michael Johnson and Darius Butler was still on the board. We'd be getting a boom or bust project instead of a bona fide starter. However I should start preparing myself for the inevitable. Belichick himself was at UConn's pro day watching Butler work out and they're probably going to nab him two spots ahead of us. Man I hate the Pats.

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I absolutely LOVE this kids physicality, don't get me wrong. I want Kenny Britt on this team. lol.

That said, despite making some nice catches, he has had some lack of concentration drops. He lacks short area quickness to create separation, relying on his big frame to catch the ball while covered. While that has worked great at the NCAA level, I fear that the CB's and Safeties in the NFL will challnege for the ball better and tip away more passes from Britt. He could solve that by making his routes crisper. He's an okay route runner, but he doesn't kill anyone with his route running. He sometimes looks like he's halfway between the routes of a WR and the way a good receiving tight-end looks (like an Owen Daniels).

In all, those things leave me 'impressed' with Britt instead of my jaw hanging open over him.

I think he's a high to mid second round talent.

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, don't downplay Johnson's upside, if he can develop into Ware jr for us and we pick him at #25 we will be far far ahead of the curve on returning to prominence.

Butler is a need, but if we can find a top notch pass rusher at #25 we will have pulled the rabbit out of the Draft hat.

Big Red likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You have basically encapsulated the things that make me uncomfortable with Kenny Britt. I think he's a possibility for us, I do. But I see Johnson as more of a possibility.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Laurinaitis as a 3-4 ILB? I just don't see it. The guy is destined for a 4-3 IMO.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    And he better have big strong defensive tackles.:up:

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Keep in mind that when it comes to the cornerback position...first off, we have no proof that Jeff Ireland was on the Terrance Newman bandwagon. What we do know is that Jerry Jones and Larry Lacewell invited Parcells out to dinner and broke it to him that they were going to pick Newman over Tuna's choice, Kevin Williams.

Aside from Newman, who was not Parcells' choice, the highest CB the Cowboys took was a 4th rounder on Bruce Thornton. The highest Parcells took a CB with the Jets was the 5th round. He took Ty Law in 1995 but one must wonder if that was really his call, given the fact that the earliest the Pats ever took another CB was the 4th round.

I dunno...I just don't think the history is there, and since these guys took over a year ago, I have not sensed the priority on the position that would lead me to project a first round corner to them. Last year everyone screamed for them to do something about the corner position and they literally did nothing. This year we lose Goodman and everyone screams about the position and they just let the top corners go down one-by-one until they pick up the all world Eric Green [/sarcasm] to compete with Jason Allen. Maybe they'll take a corner at #25 but until they actually do that, and show some priority on the position, I'm more comfortable projecting a non-corner to the Dolphins at #25 than a corner.

padre31 likes this.
  21. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No Percy Harvin? At this point I think Harvin could go very high. According to a few sources (Mike Mayock being one of them) he looked great at his pro day really showing quickness out of his breaks with good cuts. To me that and his injury history were the greatest concerns, but he seemingly eased the concerns on his route running in his workout. I'm really coming around on him and even though he doesn't have the size we might be looking for, if he's there at 25 I think he has to be considered. I also don't see how they could pass on Maclin, but I don't see him getting close to our pick anyway.

One other thing is your assessment of why the Lions take Stafford. I agree that is who they'll ultimately take, and I agree they may look at the Dolphins model and be tempted to go OT, but Daunte Culpepper is not Chad Pennington and there probably won't be a Chad Henne available to them later. In your mock you still have Freeman on the board at 20, but I'm not sure he will be come draft day. I think there's a much better chance a good OT like Oher, Britton, or Beattie is there so to me they almost have to go Stafford unless they plan to move up from 20.

22. emale2u1

emale2u1 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Maryland
    No way do I see Spielman passing on Macklin if he wants to pick a WR in the first round. On most public draft lists I have seen (as I am not privy to the teams actual rankings), Macklin is rated as the 2nd highest receiver, with a few having him challenge Crabtree for number 1. Micks on the other hand is most commonly rated as the 5th or 6th top receiver (behind Bey, Harkin and sometimes Britt.)

Rick would be putting his job on the line with this pick. If Macklin turns out as many predict and Micks doesn't, he will be foreever questioned on this pick. Rick is not in the position to go out on the limb on this pick (no matter what he really thinks).

Given that, I think unless a few other WRs are off the board, Minnesota will either draft a different WR or not one at all (with their 1st round pick).

23. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    No offense, but I hope you're wrong lol

24. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Your not thinking of the team though. The Vikings dont need a Maclin, they have a guy in Berrian who provides the same type of role. They need a big guy who can make tough catches, be a redzone and short yardage threat, and relieve pressure on the QB. That is something that Nicks (not Micks) or Britt can do. Maclin and Bey both have talent, but both are somewhat raw and fulfill a role already taken by Berrian who they have a lot of money invested in right now. You cant just think "draftniks all say Maclin is the second best WR therefore he will go second" because first of all teams have their own boards, often very different from the popular public ones, and secondly teams have more specific needs.
    And its also Harvin, not Harkin. At least thats who I think your going for there.

25. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    At this point, I'd see the FO trading down for someone who's in the market for the QB from Kansas St if he's there or another player @ that point.

I'm saying that if I had to bet whether or not its Michael Johnson or the field...I'd take the field.

26. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I would not at all be shocked if we traded down, you never know who will slip. Oher, Andre Smith, Eben Britton, Freeman etc.

I think there are very few people we would turn down a trade for to stand pat and take. I think most of our coveted people will be taken in the range between our first two picks and we can slide down anywhere between them and still get a player and be very happy about it.

That said, if we cant get a decent offer, and Johnson is on the board, it is very easy to see his name called for us. I think this kid has top 10 talent and ability, but has been overshadowed and hit with the "doesnt care" tag. Im not entirely sure thats true, but peoples opinions will definately differ. I for one would not be dissapointed to pick this kid up at all, I feel this staff can turn him into a force.

padre31 likes this.
  27. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana

I love Laurinits but getting away from my personal mancrush there is no way we will take him IMO. He really just doesn't fit the role of a 3-4 ILB in most peoples opinion, the trio included probably. I wish he would ,but the reality is, is that he needs to be a MLB in a 4-3.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  28. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The interesting thing about Johnson is you can look at him and easily 20 more pds or more on him to play DE/OLB, maybe 30 pds if he is to be de fulltime

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    My only concern with Johnson from what I saw is how long, if ever, will it take him to develop a passion/fire for the game.
    There's a missing link somewhere as to why his production doesn't match his talent level and that scares me. After all, this kid should be the #1 pick in the draft if he played to potential. IMO it seemed like he showed too many lapses in concentration and a poor attitude at times on the field. He seemed to make some horrible choices at the worst possible times and that leaves me drawing a blank with him.

Does he play football bc he knows he excels at it without having to give 100% effort and it will get him paid? Something doesn't seem to add up in the potential "heart category". LOL

Awesome mock by the way, Con! If it's not how the draft goes, it's how it should go. ;)

30. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks.:lol:

31. emale2u1

emale2u1 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Maryland
    I still disagree with the pick. As bad as Spielman might be, I don't think he will draft a guy that much higher than he should go just because he is a better fit. His best option would be to trade down which he should be able to do at the draft spot. He might not get real value, but that never stopped Rick from making a trade.

If he still really wants to draft a WR and doesn't think Macklin fits (which i disagree with), then he be better off taking Bey. You can make an argument that Bey is the 2nd or 3rd rated WR. I don't think that most would make that argument with Nicks.

32. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Mark Sanchez. :tantrum:

33. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    You'll take him and like it!!!

34. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    If we take Mark Sanchez.... :jump::thumbdown:

35. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana

Could it be worse than than taking fletcher over Brees or Feely for a 2nd? Sanchez has intangibles.....:pointlol:

36. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Sanchez has a nooooooooooooooooodle arm (his arm in New York couldn't survive).

37. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    hmmmm.well thereis an obvious statement I could make but its silly...Would you want Stafford if he is available?

38. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    No thanks.

Another under performer for the talent around him.

I want nothing to do with any of the Quarterbacks in this draft unless we take a Day 2 flyer on Rhett Bomar or Nate Davis. I guess Josh Freeman would be OK if I had to choose one of the "Big 3".

39. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    What about Curtis Painter(to fill my homer sentiment)?

124 likes this.
  40. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    He compared himself to Kyle Orton the other day on Sirius NFL radio, I laughed said to myself "have fun getting drafted later now". :lol: