1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clay Matthews III

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Witheringplant, Oct 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Witheringplant

Witheringplant Junior Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I'd be interested to hear what some of the draft buffs think of Clay Matthews as a mid to late round sleeper. Rey Rey and Cushing get all the attention, but I love watching this guy every week. Seems to make mistakes a bit too often, but he goes non-stop and has experience in the elephant position (which i guess we don't have anymore, but still isn't that far off).

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    He's playing very well at the moment and eliminating mistakes from his game. If he continues his rise, he could go in the late 3rd/4th round area.

3. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have seen two of USC's games this year and Matthews looked good. Man that family can produce some football players. I would like to take Cushing as I think Rey will probably be gone if we drafted him. You can't go wrong with most of USC's defenders.

4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Certainly comes from a notable background. His dad was a longtime NFL LB. I believe he was also related to former OL Bruce Matthews. Good pass rusher and good at making open field tackles. Too bad he goes to $C. I just think Cushing is overrated and certainly not worth a 1st or high 2nd.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Clay could end up being a pretty good ILB in a 3-4, and definitely a very good STs player. Definitely on that last.

Cushing...hard for me not to love the guy. You don't see guys that big with that kind of strength able to nimbly side-step the way he does. He's a good rusher, but his strength is as a cover man. Part of me wants to say he should go to a Dungy defense because that's the kind of role he's use to...and so part of me doesn't like the idea of putting him at OLB in our defense.

I tell you one thing, forget Rey Mauluga I would take Brandon Spikes. That kid is half-beast, half-tornado, and ALL man. The screwed up thing about him is you could play him at OLB in a 3-4 and he could be a Joey Porter-like player. Not kidding. Watch him put his hand to the ground as part of a 3-man pass rush on obvious passing downs and backed up defenses sometimes. He's an excellent pass rusher, and yet he's got the instincts and awareness to be a tackle-accumulating MLB.

I could only hope Miami gets a crack at him. We very likely will not.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I want Aaron Maybin if he comes out.

7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i like matthews alot and from what i've read he's definitely a second day pick but starting to move up. if he stays in the 4th round or thereabouts i would love to pull the trigger on him. he is fast fast fast

8. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    i want spikes too..i've seen mocks where he goes in the second round..i hope we can get him with one of seconds!!!

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think he's got incredible potential. He just needs some better coaching on getting leverage and getting his hands and helmet in the right spot to prevent head-on collisions with guys that weight 20 pounds more than you pushing you backward.