1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clayton on with Sedano right now....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MAFishFan, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    ....Seems to think Manning either isn't going to play or will be with the Colts. So remove that from the list. Means it's all in on Flynn or the entire draft is traded for RG3. The other option, which everyone will hate, you're drafting Weeden/Tannehill/Wilson/QBX and that rook is competing with Moore and Henne? Losman? Young? Orton? Bleh. I guess it's hoping for Flynn. For the record, the whole Manning thing IS interesting, but it scares the hell out of me.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I don't think Clayton knows. Because I don't think Manning is even sure what's happening yet.

Aquafin, Ozzy, DOLPHAN1 and 15 others like this.
  3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Every "insider" will be giving their opinion, not reporting on the issue, right now.

mbsinmisc and SICK like this.
  4. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    all valid points, was just throwing it out there...no panic here...been how long again sonce there's been a qb in town?

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Once upon a time Clayton was reliable. Now he's espns version of Armando...basically whatever he says the opposite is likely to happen. Guy throws poop against the wall and expects it to stick but it very rarely does.

Manning may happen for us, he may not but I'm not betting on it not happening because John Clayton reported it :no:

dolfan7171, The Rev, dolfan22 and 3 others like this.
  6. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    John Clayton works for BSPN. Enough said.

Aquafin, jsizzle and SICK like this.
  7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Even though Clayton is not a reliable source of informacion I think he has stumbled on the right conclusion.
    Either Manning plays for the Colts or he retires IMO .

Even Dan Marino thinks thats how it will end and as we know he faced a similar decision.He had the opportunity to play for another team for a couple of years but he decided to retire from the team where he made his mark

8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Lost a lot of respect for Clayton over the past year or so. Seems to speculate way too much, as opposed to Schefter and Mort, who have actual sources. Clayton swore up and down Fisher would go to St. Louis because of the "Young QB", and as it turned out that had nothing to do with it as Steve Ross basically turned Fisher down.

padre31 likes this.
  9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't have an issue with what Clayton is saying because he isn't reporting it as fact...he's reporting it as the logical conclusion to all this, especially if Manning isn't healthy. He's saying that IF the physical issues are resolved the Colts would elect to keep him on or he'll agree to retire. I don't think that Manning is thinking about that possibility. In that case, he'd have to feel his career is over, and I just don't think that's the case.

Mark Schlereth on Mike and Mike said something that hit's home with this. As an elite football player and knowing that he hasn't lost his skillset as a QB, he will not be retiring. One thing everyone who has an opinion agrees on, is when the nerves regenerate, he'll be able to play. It's not like we're talking about a guy who's skills had eroded prior to the neck surgery. Not like Favre or even Marino, at the end of their careers, where their skills had definitely eroded. This is a guy that can play a few more years and perhaps the season off will have allowed for some other physical issues to subside as well. And even if he's less than healthy, an 85% Manning is better than 95% of the QBs in the league... Obviously, his issues are a bit different and there is no 85% with the nerve regeneration, only 100% or nothing. I don't see this issue as easily as him riding off into the sunset and retiring as a Colt, if he feels he can still play...

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd be willing to bet money Manning is done or at least retires for further rehab for another year.

texanphinatic likes this.
  11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Tannehill/Weedon is the best option. If Manning's nerve has regenerated then bringing him in would be great, but it seems unlikely that it will happen before the draft. Flynn is not my first choice, but you have to trust Philbin. If the reports of Sherman being the OC here are true then we should have a good read on Tannehill too. And Sherman coaching against Weedon and RG3 should provide some insight on Weedon and RG3 too. I like RG3, but I see a ton of unknowns in his game and wouldn't want to trade up for him.

MAFishFan, Ozzy, Muck and 1 other person like this.
  12. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I just can't see Peyton Manning retiring unless he's told that one more hit and he could be paralyzed. And if that was the case, he wouldn't be making the effort he did during the season to get back on the field or show what he still has.

He isn't going to retire. I just don't see that option on the table.

13. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Agreed. I've heard his triceps has already atrophied due to the nerve damage.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO the most likely outcome is that Manning is released and does not play in 2012.

15. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Completely agree.

Additionally, Tannehill would walk in knowing the offense, which obviously accelerates the developmental process.

16. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    How would Clayton even know what Manning will do??? Please....he'll change his tune quicker than I can snap my fingers and act like he always knew what would happen.

He's taking a shot in the dark and hoping it sticks. Nobody knows anything right now.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    He's not saying he knows what Manning will do. He was asked for and giving an opinion.

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I would love to see Manning in a Dolphins uniform IF he is healthy. Unfortunately I don't believe that he will ever fully recover from the neck surgery he went through prior to last season. My best guess is that Peyton Manning will be sitting in a broadcast booth next season discussing the games to be played by teams in the NFL. It would not surprise me in the least if Manning doesn't announce his retirement from the NFL in the next few months.