1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clemons And Jones Waging Competitive Battle At Free Safety

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Aug 25, 2011.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/c...-competitive-battle-free-safety-injury-update
    Just a read on the Dolphins site. Pouncy's home coming game Sat.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Both Players have flashed to me this preseason, I still got Clemons winning the battle..I like the angles he takes to where the ball is and how fast he arrives, and the aggressive nature for which he arrives with..

Reshad is impressive as well, the man can definitely make plays, and hit like a mother grabber.

3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Jones only played 153 snaps at safety but according to PFF, had no missed tackles. I think any of us can agree Jones seems to have a better nose for the ball in the air. I don't mind Clemons because he is fast and hits hard, but I think the main thing we need at safety is a ball hawk. Also, the QB Rating for passes thrown into Jones coverage was a miserly 26.3, while into Clemons coverage was 118.2.

CashInFist and Boik14 like this.
  4. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Jones seems like a ball hawk and a playmaker and I think the dolphins are lucky to have two good young players at the position but I do think that Clemons wins the battle because he is the safe bet. He rarely makes mistakes, doesn't miss many tackles, and is in the right position most of the time. If he like the rest of the secondary could catch the defense would be even better.

5. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I hope Jones wins the battle. With our CBs we should be able to have a FS with a little more free reign to make some plays. Jones would be perfect for that role.

Boik14 likes this.
  6. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Any shot we move Clemmons to SS in the future and Jones at FS... parting with Bell?

7. MrClean

Clemons had 47 solo tackles, 8 assists and 10 missed tackles in 889 snaps
    Jones had 11 solo tackles, 4 assists and 0 missed tackles in 153 snaps

So 889 is 5.8 times more snaps than 153 approximately. So theoretically if you multiply 153 x 5.8 = 63 so if Jones played as many downs as Clemons, and he maintained the same rate of tackles per snaps he would end up being more productive.

Then there is Jones having a much lower passer rating for passes thrown into his coverage compared to Clemons. 26 compared to 118.
    All I can see that Clemons has over Jones is faster and maybe hits harder.

8. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    MC, I respect you more than most people on this board... but you're taking a mathematicians approach to this which I don't think is the right way of doing it.

MrClean likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I personally don't think this should be a battle at all.

First off I wasn't all that high on Reshad Jones coming out of Georgia. He made big hits and some big plays but he also took wrong angles all over the place and was inconsistent in his reactions.

Last year I loved what he did at the beginning of the year when he seemed to find the ball some, but he was freelancing and playing outside of the defensive scheme. He was also out of position because of it, though it didn't necessarily always get found out by the offense. In the second half of the year the coaches got him to tighten up and play within the defense and sure enough he's not making plays on the ball.

Chris Clemons has not only looked like the far more solid player to me this preseason, but he has an entire season of starting and playing pretty solidly under his belt from last year. He might not be quite as good as he let on last year, I think there were times he could have been victimized but the offenses just didn't find him out, but he's still the most solid option we have. They probably should have signed Dashon Goldson.

10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'm not arguing either side, because I like both kids. However your theory is certainly flawed. You can't just multiply times 5.8 even though that equates to the number of snaps and then multiply the results, it just doesn't work that way. To me, that's just the reason why you can't always use stats compare players. You also have to look at which 153 snaps he was in there for. Was he in there for more third downs, more second down and longs, more first downs? For example, under your scenario, Jones would have played 889 stats and had zero tackles?

As to the differences between the two kids, Jones certainly has more of a nose for the football but Clemens is clearly the better athlete. The problem is that neither one really stands out. I don't look at either one of those guys and see Bob Sanders, Paloamalo, or Reed. That to me, is the biggest problem we have, both good safeties but neither are great safeties.

MrClean likes this.
  11. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i have and still think that Jones is a SS ....

12. MrClean

I did say theory and theories are often flawed ;)

All that aside, I saw enough of Clemons to say that his best traits are speed and hitting ability. He has yet to show good hands or a nose for the ball.
    In his limited time on the field, which could be an anomaly, Jones has flashed good hands and a nose for the ball. Would he keep it up over a full season of being a regular? Only one way to find out for sure.