1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cliffs's from Kiper Mock:Phins Pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    MrClean likes this.
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Not a big fan of that pick.

There are safeties I'd be more comfortable with than Pryor, and none of them at pick 19.

3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Kiper has apparently seen a couple of my Bitonio posts.

4. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    What could help with that pick is that I see Pryor more of a safety in the box, this can then move Jones deep and use his instincts and get back to his 2012 success

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I generally like Kiper more than a lot of people, but that would be a real downer of a draft, taking guys in the first three rounds who would all be on the bench as rookies, and the second rounder would be a serious project? Yuk, no thanks.

Claymore95 likes this.
  6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Calvin Pryor, Joel Bitonio and Jack Mewhort could convince me I'm in for a rough ride with this new GM. At that point I'd just be hoping his tenure is a short one and that Ross lets his star f-cker nature get the better of him in 2014 and goes hard after Jim Harbaugh or Gus Malzahn (both of which I'm hoping for anyway) and that they insist on bringing in a GM they're more comfortable with.

RoninFin4, UCF FINatic and djphinfan like this.
  7. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    After reading Kipers whole draft, its even more painful, as he has several teams below us taking MUCH more appealing players in rounds one and two. Glad he isnt our GM, lol. He has the Packers taking Mosley in round one, and S Terrance Brooks in round 2, for example.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Calvin Pryor and Joel Bitonio versus Morgan Moses and Terrence Brooks isn't even close. Not even a bit.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    ive seen yours and his now, I don't like this player near the 2nd round King, what are you seeing?

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Bitonio is mobile but physically he's a cream puff.

11. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I saw him do some good drive blocking against UCLA. Guy took his man 10 yards to the end zone IIRC.

His strength could be a function of college training. An NFL program could fix that.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Except all the other guys will be getting that NFL level strength program work too. Why should we assume he'll make better gains from it than the rest of them? Just food for thought.

I find that even when he sticks with a guy down the field he's only attached to him, he's not really moving him. He's more annoyance than anything. And you often see players get tired of it and knock him straight to the ground toward the end of the play.

13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He acquitted himself well enough as a cream puff. Also, he could just be starting at a lower level of strength but max out at a very high ceiling. Bodies are different enough to accommodate that.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Could. But where's the evidence that it should?

You need evidence to say that a best guess is going to head that direction if you're going to take him above guys with fewer unknowns.

If you disagree he looks like the Michelob Ultra of offensive tackles then to each his own, but that's how he looks to me.

15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Dolphins related post moved to draft forum to make room for Wallace, Tanny, and Philbin bashing in mains. Makes sense.

MrClean likes this.
  16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    So we draft 2 RT? Makes sense...

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I see a guy who can't stay with a target, who is completely wild in his technique and it isn't due to lack of discipline..

I would love something like Cooks..Monroe..Borland..Dozier.

Even though I love that hypothetical scenario I think Monroe and Borland deserve to go higher.

18. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

But Vernon Gholston was a physical beast who couldn't play football. I like the chances of getting a football player in good shape over teaching an athlete to be a consistent football player. That's just my take.

19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I just haven't seen that. His worst habit to me is that he reaches too much and tries to block from a stationary position rather than use his feet. That's why I like him more as a guard as there's less space for D tackles and they're less likely to out maneuver him.

That said, I still only see the guy as a third rounder who can become a long time starter.

20. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Random, but I am so worried about this years draft and what Hickey will do that I recently had a nightmare where we took some no-name tackle from Indiana in the first round only to have to listen to Hickey, Philbin, and Ross "sell us" on him ala Ted Ginn Jr. :pity:

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Care to share what Vernon Gholstons I was proposing the Dolphins take? Or were you just erecting straw men?

I prefer the Dolphins not take child molesters in the draft. But hey, that's just me. Huh? Is Bitonio a child molester? What does that have to do with anything?

22. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    The only sack Long gave up in college was to Gholston. Vernon ran right over him. I wish I knew what happened to him in the pros. Kind of like what's his face down (Spellman) down in Dallas. Both incredible physical specimens, both Buckeyes, both flops. :sad:

23. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Gholston was athlete playing football. He didn't love football, he didn't have instincts to play in the pros. There is a reason he disappeared in games and didn't show up against lower quality schools.

He was gifted but his heart wasn't in it.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He has good feet. That is something a lineman generally has or doesn't. You can add strength, you can't transplant good feet onto them. He has good arm length too. Can't coach that into them either.

CaribPhin likes this.
  25. MrClean

Except neither of those guys are a RT only.

26. MrClean

Spellman played mostly in Chicago and was a pretty good player until the off field mental problems got the better of him. Compared to Gholston, Spellman was like a first ballot HoFer, at least on the field.

27. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Considering the emphasis Tampa placed on the safety position with Barron & Goldson, I'd say Pryor would have to be entertained as a real possibility. Gotta be a future beyond Louis Delmas. Not to mention Pryor pretty much fits the same mold as Goldson & Delmas.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  28. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    True. I guess I associate him more w/ Dallas since that's where the meltdown happened. Pretty sad.

29. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You're really defensive even though I didn't accuse you of anything. I don't know if you automatically think that after years of confrontation on here. My point was that a physical specimen doesn't have to turn out good. It's not a rule. I used that to help argue my willingness to take a guy I see as a football player who could use body training.

30. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I agree with you completely.

31. MrClean

It began in Chicago. I think that is why the let him go.