1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coach Pennington?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jul 6, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Hey guys I was thinking that after the season ends that Pennington might retire and so I was wondering if you guys would consider him for a QB coach or a possibly offensive coordinator for Miami in the future? Just curious. I know I would because he is so smart and would make our QB's that much better. Would do ya'll think about it??

Frumundah Finnatic and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  2. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    He would probably do that with the Jets even though they treated him like trash at the end. I believe he already said it

3. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Yeah that is true. I'm sure he would do fine whatever he decides to do.

4. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    And I doubt he retires after this season? He has a few good years left, here or somewhere else

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Pennington has no ties, no loyalties to the jets now, that ownership showed him the door and his coaches are no longer preciding.

I dont think he'll retire after this year, but odds are pretty good that he becomes one of our staff down the road.

6. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Yeah I would love to see that one day.

7. Hobiesailor

Hobiesailor Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think a better person to come back and be a coach is Zach Thomas. it would be a great injustice if he didn't come back and coach somewhere.

8. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Zach was a great player for us but did his coaching help Crowder become a much better LB?I don't think so...People think just because one was great that they would make a great coach and I just don't see that many GREAT players that make the transition to coaching...and after all these years of being on the road wouldn't be nice if Zach could spend time with his wife and family...since coaching requires a considerable amount of time and I do mean considerable I would be very surprised to see Zach take that route

9. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I hope chad gets a coaching job after he retires, why coach a team that threw you to the curb when you can help the team you are trying to win a championship now and where all the players respect you?

10. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Usually good players make bad coaches and bad players make good coaches, usually. Bill Cowher and Don Shula were terrible players, but made a pretty good career out of coaching. That's just two examples, there are plenty of ex-players coaching now or within the past several years......
    Tony Dungy
    Herm Edwards
    Jack Del Rio
    Jeff Fisher

11. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    here is the thing, Chad is a good player, but at the same time he is once of the smartest minds when it comes to decision making, and is one of the smartest QB's in the game... I think his knowledge will be important in him being a successful coach

12. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    No doubt there he is extremely intelligent and he knows how to teach something to someone in a way that they get it. Plus people can trust Chad. I think that is important -that trust factor.

13. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Should Chad P. coach the Jets if he coaches anyone? That's questionable. I just said what I said based on what I am pretty sure I read. You gotta realize that the NFL is a business and you can get kicked to the curb whenever and you have to be a man about it. Also that Chad spent A LOT of years in NY, and I doubt he throws it to the ground just because of one incident no matter how big it was. It also ended up working out for him, so I doubt he has any hard feelings.

What would I prefer to do if I was a millionaire former player looking to coach and the choice was between Miami and NY?
    I would go to Miami. You are a millionaire. There is no reason to suffer the cold weather and the terrible city overall(I've never been to NY, just basing it on other's comments and the amount of New Yorker's here).

Just my input

14. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Chad Pennington is not going to retire after the 2009 season but when he does retire (in about 5,6 years) he is going to make an awesome Quarterbacks coach and I can only hope he chooses to return to the team he was with for 8 years seeing as the man who forced him out, Eric Mangini, will be long gone.

People can question his arm strength but you cannot question Chad's smarts (for the most part at least) and heart and love for the game.

15. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    And hopefully right now, he can coach Chad Henne

16. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Chad Pennington is 33, not 43. Barring some kind of terrible injury, there's no way Chad Pennington retires after this season. He's a competitor and although he might make a fine coach someday, he's going to play the game as long as he's physically able to.

dolfan32323 and djphinfan like this.
  17. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Exactly. That may not be long. With Pennington, he can suffer a career ending inury anytime. God Forbid, of course.

Back to the topic, I would love to see Pennington become a QB coach for Miami. His smarts would rub off on Henne, and we would have an amazing QB at the helm.

18. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I would love to see Penny end up as our QB coach, after he first helps us win a SB.

19. Hobiesailor

Hobiesailor Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I agree that he is going to want to spend time with his family. But i think he is going to get that itch later to be apart of the game again a few years down the road from his retirement.

but imho Zach is the perfect player to make that kind of transition. Zach isn't good because he is the most physically gifted linebacker. Zach is great because of his preparation for each game. Its his work ethic in the weight room training himself. Its ALL the game tape that he goes over before each game. Zach's ability to analyze game footage and implement it on the playing field is, i think, a skill that he could use to help young linebackers get better at their game, and a skill that he could teach to them. Zach is great because he is a Cerebral Linebacker, which is a trait that lends well to coaching.

20. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I dont think he'll be away from the game long after he retires. He will make for a very good coach.

21. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

If he doesn't coach he should.

But why talk about the future when he's going to help us kick some serious *** now :D

22. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Actually, he's been coaching Henne since the day they met. He goes to the sideline after plays and talks to him about what happened. He makes him watch game film and essentially give a report about what he saw and Penny lets him know what he may have missed... things like that.

I think Chad definitely has a great mindset for coaching as well as a great love for the game itself. I would be completely surprised if he did not pursue a coaching career once he feels his best days as a player are past.

mullingan and Frumundah Finnatic like this.
  23. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    OR he could you know stay down here with the superior team that has the same former coach who drafted him working in the F.O.

Just sayin'

24. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I havent read every post so if someone has said I am sorry for repeating it. But Chad has more ties to us than the Jets. Parcells was the one who drafted him and henning was his OC. I believe he has already said he isnt retiring though. he was talking about not being a backup after thsi year and still believing he is a starter.