1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coke commercial

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by unluckyluciano, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    ??? Not interested.

I'm better looking, have a hotter woman, live in a nicer house than most of the people concerned with message board grammar. So in essence, I'm better at life.

Yay me.

2. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    all i can think about right now after reading this.

[video=youtube;HJjNjXZTwSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjNjXZTwSA[/video]

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Ahhh thee irony.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Holy ****...you're still arguing????!?!??!?!?

Colorado Dolfan and McLovin like this.
  5. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    while banging a model on a pile of money in my mutha f'in mansion.

Colorado Dolfan and Fin D like this.
  6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    That was actually agreeing.

Your old age shows by the day.

McLovin likes this.
  7. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    you bastards crack me up.

Colorado Dolfan and Fin-Omenal like this.
  8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Pats boards ain't got shnit on us.

Colorado Dolfan and McLovin like this.
  9. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Coca-Cola's always been a touchy feely company. Remember this from 1971, probably before many of you were ever born?

[video=youtube;ib-Qiyklq-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-Qiyklq-Q&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes. Stop posting on message boards.

McLovin likes this.
  11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    by pile we mean..... You cashed your sixty dollar settlement from wild bills strip club?

McLovin likes this.
  12. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

13. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

[​IMG]

But with pennies.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm glad that Coke wasn't swayed by the criticism of a few. IMO that criticism was the height of ignorance.

15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    What's ignorant about preferring to not hear one of the country's most esteemed and traditional songs being altered just so Coke can reach a wider demographic? Wouldn't it still be a clear display of America's diversity and acceptance of such diversity if the video were done exactly the same way but sung in English? Even if it were on mute would you fail to recognize the diversity being displayed?

How I feel about it, besides the tradition of it, is- before the Gulf Wars arrived, nearly 40 million Americans had already served this country, with roughly one million, three hundred thousand paying the ultimate price to ensure there is an "America the Beautiful" in the first place. If it weren't for the efforts paved by American ancestors there wouldn't be a place for others around the world to seek a better life, correct? So it's my personal feeling that it's a slight to this country's first 200 years of servicemen to alter a significant historical song that was written by an American woman during the 4th of July and encompassed her feelings about the country's patriotism at the time. To me, that's like going to Mexico and suggesting the country sings a Mexican anthem, that was passionately created about Mexico by a Mexican woman, in English rather than Mexico's native Spanish tongue during the friggin' World Cup. I would find that highly disrespectful to their country and people.

I wouldn't have a problem if every nationality in the world sang America the Beautiful together, however, out of respect for tradition and those who passed before us, I'd prefer the song itself to remain as it was written and sung as it was written. What's racist or wrong about that? It seems like a perfect way to appease both the wider growing diversity of America while still respecting citizens whose ancestry dates back to the nation's inception, no? I understand America's diversity is growing and I've got no problem with it provided the individual isn't hindering society and is at least making an effort to learn English [like Maynard alluded to], but in the same sense the descendants of those who started, freed, and built this country aren't becoming extinct, and IMO, people in this thread who insulted me - insinuating I'm racist [even though I've suggested nothing to support such a notion] - are being a little unsympathetic to those of us who do have ancestry that dates back to early times. For instance, from the 1600's to 1840, the population was strictly white, black, and Native American. In 1900, 87.3% of the population was white, 11.6% black, and less than 1% was other [excluding American Indians of course]. Those numbers remained much the same through the 70's. That's who built this country for the most part and should be respected for such. I know there are some real a$$hole white people out there, but c'mon, if it weren't for the white people who helped build these walls along with our African American brethren, a chunk of this forum, some of whom I'd love to share a great beer with some day like Nabo, might not be here, and it'd be half the place it is b/c of it. [in general, not just b/c of Nabo. lol]

This country is so young that it clearly doesn't have the storied traditions of the East or our Hispanic or Portuguese natives to the south, but it still has some tradition nonetheless. Unlucky is Mexican-American, and his Mexican traditions [in Mexico and here in the U.S.] will carry on, just as Cuban traditions will remain undying, and anyone who is Cuban or Mexican or has Cuban or Mexican friends knows how important tradition is to them. Go to Little Havana or Miami in general and evidence of Cuban tradition is all over; go to Houston and existence of Mexican tradition can be seen everywhere as well. My best friend's Italian family is still through-and-through Italian, heavily into Italian tradition, so much so that they forbid his sister to marry a non-Italian [which sucks b/c she's quite hot and her accent kills me]. When I look around and see all this, I don't view it as racism or them discriminating against Americans whose lineage has been here for hundreds of years; I view it as their desire to maintain tradition and their love for their tradition, and I respect that...... and I would never ask them to change it just b/c they live in the U.S. I point all this out b/c it seems strongly hypocritical that those from a different nationality or ethnicity would either criticize or belittle myself [like what went on in this thread] for supporting my nation's own traditions and not wanting to see them changed, just as I can damn well bet that if I told Unlucky and his family to part ways with some of their Mexican tradition that they would tell me to f*** off. So I would expect the same respect in return when I speak up about not wanting to see American tradition changed. You [I mean people in general] can disagree with it all they want, but they can at least respect it.

It doesn't make myself or anyone else a damn racist, bigot, or whatnot if our feelings behind the America the Beautiful controversy are out of respect to this country's tradition, to those who previously sacrificed for our country, and to those who built it. Even though we're all descendants from around the world [except for Native Americans of course] we didn't build British America; we didn't build Irish America; we didn't build Scottish, Spanish, French, or African America; we didn't build Mexican American, Middle Eastern America, South American or Central American America, Haitian America, Cuban America, or "Any Other" America. Our collective of people built America America.... and America in and of itself has its own history and its own traditions. I don't sh-t on anyone else's traditions, so don't sh-t on me for supporting mine. If anything it's borderline reverse discrimination, if not full blown.

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Nice to see your crappy level of respect to others when nothing was said to warrant it. Now I clearly know the type of "insert 7 asterisks here" you truly are after I explicitly expressed that my feelings pertain to respecting both American tradition and those who sacrificed or died for everything America the Beautiful is meant to represent. It was written and has been sung for over a century in its native American tongue, just as France, Germany, Mexico, Italy, and so on's national songs were written and are sung in their own native tongues. All of the nationalities represented in the Coke commercial have their own anthems as well I'm sure and are most likely sung specifically in their own native tongues too. If those individuals want to be recognized by their separate nationalities, then I'm guessing they still have a fondness for their own national anthems and traditions, so IMO there's no reason America's favored national song needs to be sung in their native tongue too. That's not a prejudicial belief, and it sure as hell has nothing to do with thinking it has to be spoon fed in English. Personally I think if people want to be respected for their own separate nationalities while living in America then they should show the same respect to those whose family lines have been here long enough that they only think of themselves as being American. We might be a young nation but America didn't just come into fruition in the 90's. There are millions of Americans with ancestors who date back hundreds of years, and the last thing they should have to feel is persecution from "insert 8 asterisks here" like yourself just b/c they prefer an American tradition to remain unchanged. If you have a problem with my opinion and feel I shouldn't be entitled to one despite previously speaking respectfully on the matter, then perhaps it's you who should take the hike to Russia.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is 100% *** backwards bigotry.

There's no tradition being broken, that's incredibly stupid to say.

Considering there's no long established pattern of behavior that involves that song being sung in English on that date or during that event, the "tradition" you speak of is completely fabricated bull ****.

Its you who are ****ting on the spirit of America, we do not have an official language and we are supposed to be a melting pot. That means we openly embrace people of all languages, races, religions and creeds as long as they follow our laws and there's nothing....NOTHING about speaking English. That's your construct and none of us are bound by YOUR rules or traditions outside of your property. That's because we're a free country and doing the stupid crap you're demanding takes away freedom. Hell, there are MANY people of regions of our country that speak other languages like Puerto Ricans, Hawaiians, the Inuit, Cajuns, Pennsylvania Dutch, etc.

You are one of those people that holds symbols to a higher reverence then the actual concepts those symbols represent. The symbol of some song that's not even our national anthem is more important to you than the concept of freedom. Let me guess, you'd rather it be against the law to burn a flag then protect the freedom of speech that flag represents? Its stupid. Its bigoted. Its fake patriotism. Its anti-American.

Colorado Dolfan and NaboCane like this.
  18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I googled the controversial term "reverse-racism" and this funny tidbit appeared.

"Reverse racism is a classic example of hypocrisy. When a black-skinned person screams "Black Power!", he/she is standing up for his rights. When a white-skinned person yells "White Power!", he/she is a racist."

Guess it's a valid point.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    What a completely stupid and irrelevant contribution to the thread. Excellent job!

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    It was a term previously used, so I googled it.

Put me on ignore if everything I do bothers you.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Nothing you do bothers me. I just think when you're being ignorant about race it should be pointed out to you, in the hopes that one day the knowledge will sink the hell in and you'll stop ignorant. Putting you on ignore would simply lessen the opportunities to try and get you to be less ignorant.

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I quoted a sample of the definition. You disagree with it, so now STUPID, IGNORANT comes flying out of your mouth. If your co captain in team "they are all racist" quoted something you agreed with, you would've surely clicked the like button.

Issues.

23. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    [video=youtube;k4V3Mo61fJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k4V3Mo61fJM[/video]

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So, according to you and your ignorance, if I "like" something I agree with and "don't like" something I don't agree with, then I have issues? Makes perfect sense. Sounds like you're the one that is butt hurt.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Yep, exactly what I said. It's a Sunday morning....you likely just swallowed your 3rd cup of coffee....I really don't want to jack your heart rate any further. I'll come back around 245 right before you have dinner. :up:

McLovin likes this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its precisely what you said. Its one thing to be ignorant about life as you are, but not even understanding the words that come out of your own mouth is cause for concern.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  27. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    To long, didnt read

28. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    [​IMG]

bigbry likes this.
  29. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://entertainment.time.com/2014/..._campaign=Feed:+time/tunedin+(TIME:+Tuned+In)

30. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Bwaaahahahahahaha.

There is something to be said for consistency tho. Every time intolerance pops up, you know where the guy stands.

Fin D likes this.
  31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The ignorant part is claiming that the way you want to hear a song is the only way it can be sung. IMO the song was better sung in multiple languages. It captured what I believe is a true reflection of what America is and should strive to be. If you prefer to hear it sung in just one language, that's you're right and I won't tell you that it's wrong, but it's ignorant to claim that's the only way it can or should sung. And by being offended and telling everybody else how they should interpret tradition you are ****ting on other people's interpretations of tradition.

Colorado Dolfan and Fin D like this.
  32. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I'm a racist biggot, you are a good man and stand up guy.

Yaaaawn.

33. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka

just don't disagree with him.

Sethdaddy8 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  34. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Also laughing at the claim of "reverse discrimination" as if we're not allowed to sing the song in English anymore...

This is why "conservatives" are looked down upon nowadays... No sense of fighting the important battles, gotta fight them all, even the ones that hurt absolutely no one.

As a (mostly) conservative, that depresses the **** out of me.

rafael likes this.
  35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Are you writing to Jake err.....