1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Question

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by alen1, Nov 20, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Today, I got letters from about four colleges that were asking me to take an "online e-quiz." Is this pointless or does it mean something and should I take it? Has anyone else taken these "quizzes" or "thought-provoking tests" ? Thanks in advance!

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I've never taken one. The only ones I know that matter are the SATs.

What grade are you in?

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    11th.

4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'd take them.

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    If you're interested in attending those schools, definately take them then. I dont know much about the American system, but here, the more info they can get on you the better your chances are. Are these educational related quizzes? or marketing type quizzes? If they are educational, I'd take them for sure. At least this way it shows you are interested right away and if you're in the running for any scholarships, they would keep you in mind for sure I'd imagine. Its not going to hurt anything by taking them, so why not.

alen1 likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    According to one letter from UM, it says that it asks questions like "which historical figure do you look up to?", etc.

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It's the ACT at most east coast schools and mid-west ones that I looked at, though they usually accepted both most people just took the ACT.

8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I had questions like that on scholarship applications, and a few traditional applications, but none of them were ever done online (maybe that is how they do it now).

I would say that if it is a school you are interested in, and you have time, it definitely cannot hurt to answer the questions.

Who knows, even if it has no bearing on your enrollment, it might help you think critically, or think about what you enjoy doing and what you want to do in the future.

alen1 likes this.
  9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting. Well, I'm not sure if I'm interested in any of them yet. Obviously I have to look into detail and read up on them. The schools that have sent me these letters so far are Tulane University, Stetson, University of Miami, Flagler University (Private college in St. Augustine) and Washington University in St. Louis. The letters said that they would send some free guides to writing my essay application as well as free guides to choosing the right college for me.

10. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Did you have an interest in any of these colleges before getting the mail?

I know I got a lot of mail from colleges wanting me to enroll there, ones I've never even heard of... If it's a college you're not interested in, I wouldn't bother taking those tests.

11. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    TCU keeps sending me letters. i don't want to be a hornfrog dammit.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Honestly, I never thought about them. The only ones that I had on my mind were UCF, USF and Flagler. All these other ones came. I doubt I'd end up going to any of the other ones but if they have a good business sports management program then I'm definitely interested.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haha.

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You ever get the "University of Evansville?" :rolleyes:

15. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Tulane is an awesome school. If they had ever got me their application materials in time I might have ended up there.

alen1 likes this.
  16. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you're curious about what they are for, you can always contact the school's admissions office. I'm sure someone there will know what their purpose is :up:

alen1 likes this.
  17. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Never heard of that before. Then again, it's been 4 years since I've applied to colleges.

I thought about Washington U. in St. Louis when I was applying but I just prefer their medical school rather than undergrad. You get those letters a lot if you did well on the PSAT and/or list yourself as a minority (same for any standardized test if you checked that you want to release your information). Take a look at their guides because it'll also help you decide for any college. And um, I also edit application essays (especially Ivy's and UC's) for $$$ in case you need it. :wink2:

alen1 likes this.
  18. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    They are probably pointless. They just want your information so that they can input you and your data into a database. If you really wanted to go to a certain college I would do it for them, it probably wouldnt increase your chances of being accepted too much, but it could make a difference if you are borderline.

Try to be skeptical of a lot of things you get in the mail your Senior year in HS. A lot of companies like the Who's Who's and other BS companies make a lot of money acting like you are special and get into a very prestigous program.

alen1 likes this.
  19. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    I never took the ACTs and I got accepted to 3 east coast schools (if you count florida as east coast)