College Team
51 replies
Ok. So I've decided something. I need a big school to follow as well as the little school that is the U of D and the Delaware Blue Hens. So..
make a case for your football team, it's traditions and current players and why another person should root for them. I want games that are on TV a lot.
Go!
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
UCLA.
Because we aren't U$C.
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

gotta give me more than just UCLA because UCLA > USC. Why would I not want to pick USC?
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"anlgp wrote:
gotta give me more than just UCLA because UCLA > USC. Why would I not want to pick USC?
Well, if you're either a rich brat who has to pay a Mercedes each year to say you attended a university or a criminal who likes to deal under the table, then by all means, pick U$C. :tongue2:
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"alen1 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Hurricanes_football#NFL_U
what the hell's all this about???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Hurricanes_football#Controversies_and_scandals
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
Oh, and we also play against a former Patriots, Jets, and Bills coach with some shady qualities every year in a big game. Plus, the Dolphins WR coach will implore you to be true blue.
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Football
/end thread
The NBC contract is an added bonus. Wherever you live in the country you can watch ND games. And being a fan makes the movie Rudy that much better!
"anlgp wrote:
what the hell's all this about???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Hurricanes_football#Controversies_and_scandals
You asked about tradition, didnt you? :shifty:
Florida Atlantic University, home of the Fighting Owls.
Our football team is very young, having only been around for 8 or 9 years. But within that span of time, we became the youngest team to win a bowl by knocking off the Memphis Tigers in the 2007 New Orleans Bowl, and followed that up with a win in the 2008 Motor City Bowl against the Central Michigan Chippewas.
We coached by the famous Howard Schnellenberger, who is an impressive 6-0 in bowl games, and we run a high powered but traditional pro-style offense that makes good use of the fullback and tight end, as well as the wide receivers and a platoon or running backs, with one bring the power and the other bringing the speed.
"DonShula84 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Football
/end thread
The NBC contract is an added bonus. Wherever you live in the country you can watch ND games. And being a fan makes the movie Rudy that much better!
I guess it beats watching the infomercials that they would put in those timeslots anyways. :tongue2:
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"Regan21286 wrote:
I guess it beats watching the infomercials that they would put in those timeslots anyways. :tongue2:
Sham Wow might beat some of those SC/ND games during the Willingham era especially.
"DonShula84 wrote:
Sham Wow might beat some of those SC/ND games during the Willingham era especially.
Last year's $C/ND matchup was just awful. I was more happy to see the car scratch removal commercials than the game. Hopefully this year's better but you gotta believe Carroll and Co. are miffed about losing Te'o.
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"Regan21286 wrote:
Last year's $C/ND matchup was just awful. I was more happy to see the car scratch removal commercials than the game. Hopefully this year's better but you gotta believe Carroll and Co. are miffed about losing Te'o.
Yeah, last years was one of the worst. Sooo glad I had tickets...:tantrum:
With Weis at least he gave us a close call with the Bush push game. It gives us a little hope going in that an upset is possible. When Ty was here you just start drinking early and hope to pass out by half time.
I say you pick UCLA gapper. I went to a school in boston that was D3 in pretty much everything (Tufts) so I was forced to find a school to follow that actually had entertaining games to watch. I grew up in central penn, so i could have easily ended up liking PSU, but thankfully I never went down that path.
My bro goes to UCLA, so i decided on them and have been a Bruin fan for the past 4 or 5 years. Also, I'm about to start a job at ucla in a couple weeks so I'll have even more a reason to have pride. anyway, reasons so far that I like being a Bruin fan:
1. You get to rag on U$C even more than usual. (and with good cause. usc students and fans are, for the most part, arrogant pricks)
2. Other bruins fans- it's like a family, and tailgaiting at the Rose Bowl is really fun
3. Rick Neuheisel is gorgeous. And he got in trouble for being in a March Madness pool (which is just awesome)
4. See #1
5. Bruin Basketball is a legacy. I have been afraid every year to declare my ucla fan-ness during bball season because I'll look like a bandwagon fan. But, I realized that they're gonna be good every season, so gotta jump on sometime!
6. Blue and Yellow go really well together
7. Josephine Bruin is hot
8. USC sucks.

"pennphinfan wrote:
I say you pick UCLA gapper. I went to a school in boston that was D3 in pretty much everything (Tufts) so I was forced to find a school to follow that actually had entertaining games to watch. I grew up in central penn, so i could have easily ended up liking PSU, but thankfully I never went down that path.
My bro goes to UCLA, so i decided on them and have been a Bruin fan for the past 4 or 5 years. Also, I'm about to start a job at ucla in a couple weeks so I'll have even more a reason to have pride. anyway, reasons so far that I like being a Bruin fan:
1. You get to rag on U$C even more than usual. (and with good cause. usc students and fans are, for the most part, arrogant pricks)
2. Other bruins fans- it's like a family, and tailgaiting at the Rose Bowl is really fun
3. Rick Neuheisel is gorgeous. And he got in trouble for being in a March Madness pool (which is just awesome)
4. See #1
5. Bruin Basketball is a legacy. I have been afraid every year to declare my ucla fan-ness during bball season because I'll look like a bandwagon fan. But, I realized that they're gonna be good every season, so gotta jump on sometime!
6. Blue and Yellow go really well together
7. Josephine Bruin is hot
8. USC sucks.
Amen.
Yea, I've been called a UCLA bandwagoner. If only the morons who gave me the label actually knew...
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

Here's my pitch for UF (Gators). Obviously they are a national power and due to their location in a great recruiting area they have a good chance of remaining a national power for a long time so they meet your criteria of being on TV a lot.
Tradition wise I'm most fond of Mr. Two Bits which is a cheer that has been going on since 1949. I also like the singing of "We are the boys from Old Florida" and "the world's largest outdoor cocktail party". I also love how the stadium is dubbed "the swamp". There are of course many others but those are my favorites. And if you ever get out to a game you really get to appreciate the crowd there. The Sporting News named Florida as the top college crowd in the nation and gave Florida Field the honor of the nation's loudest stadium. In 2007, Sports Illustrated ranked Ben Hill Griffin Stadium as the third best college venue in the nation, and was the first overall for college football.
For me, though, my fondest memory there was the first time I attended a home loss. I grew up attending Dolphin's and Hurricane's (UM) games and one thing that always happened was that after a loss people would file out complaining. "This player sucks" or "That coach should be fired" are commonly heard. I just assumed that was the norm. But whenever the Gators lose the crowd files out singing "It's great to be a Florida Gator". That really affected me. I'm not somebody who doesn't criticize but I also never forget that I love my team. I'm sure that Gator fans criticize like any other fans but I feel like that tradition helps everyone remember that what brings them together is their love of the team/school.

"rafael wrote:
Here's my pitch for UF (Gators). Obviously they are a national power and due to their location in a great recruiting area they have a good chance of remaining a national power for a long time so they meet your criteria of being on TV a lot.
Tradition wise I'm most fond of Mr. Two Bits which is a cheer that has been going on since 1949. I also like the singing of "We are the boys from Old Florida" and "the world's largest outdoor cocktail party". I also love how the stadium is dubbed "the swamp". There are of course many others but those are my favorites. And if you ever get out to a game you really get to appreciate the crowd there. The Sporting News named Florida as the top college crowd in the nation and gave Florida Field the honor of the nation's loudest stadium. In 2007, Sports Illustrated ranked Ben Hill Griffin Stadium as the third best college venue in the nation, and was the first overall for college football.
For me, though, my fondest memory there was the first time I attended a home loss. I grew up attending Dolphin's and Hurricane's (UM) games and one thing that always happened was that after a loss people would file out complaining. "This player sucks" or "That coach should be fired" are commonly heard. I just assumed that was the norm. But whenever the Gators lose the crowd files out singing "It's great to be a Florida Gator". That really affected me. I'm not somebody who doesn't criticize but I also never forget that I love my team. I'm sure that Gator fans criticize like any other fans but I feel like that tradition helps everyone remember that what brings them together is their love of the team/school.
The last UF home game I went to was the '02 Miami game when we won 41-16. I clearly don't remember any Gator fans singing after that one. They do have some cool fans though.
In '03 I watched that game at a bar in G'ville and all the Gator fans were talking smack the whole game 'cause they were ahead, but after we came back and won at the end, a few came up and said 'congrats', and bought me a couple of beers.
University of Miami gets such a bad reputation, but the fact is that we are one of the top academic schools in the country as well as sports programs. On top of that Randy Shannon has seriously improved the grades of our student athletes (which were never bad to begin with other than a few kids).
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Alex44 wrote:
University of Miami gets such a bad reputation, but the fact is that we are one of the top academic schools in the country as well as sports programs. On top of that Randy Shannon has seriously improved the grades of our student athletes (which were never bad to begin with other than a few kids).
Uh huh....no offense but you are going to have to show me proof of that.


"BIG E wrote:
Uh huh....no offense but you are going to have to show me proof of that.
http://www.miami.muohio.edu/about_miami/recognition/
In BusinessWeek magazine's latest ranking of undergraduate business programs, Miami's Farmer School of Business appears among the nation's top five percent, ranking sixth among public universities and colleges. (2009)
Survey results just released by Entrepreneur magazine and The Princeton Review show the Miami University Institute for Entrepreneurship ranks 16th among the nation's undergraduate entrepreneurship programs. (2008)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Miami#Rankings
The University of Miami’s School of Education has three of its academic programs ranked in the top four spots in an annual report on universities by Academic Analytics. The teaching and learning program at UM's School of Education is ranked the best in the nation under the "Curriculum and Instruction" category. The school’s mathematics and science education program is ranked third best in the nation in the "Math Education" category. The school’s research, measurement, and evaluation program is ranked fourth best in the nation "Educational Evaluation and Research Category
18th in the nation in its "Best Career/Job Placement Services
U.S. medical schools ranks the University of Miami's Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine the 52nd best medical school in the nation.
U.S. News & World Report's 2009 ranking of U.S. law schools ranks the University of Miami School of Law the 71st best law school in the nation.
The last two don't seem super impressive but think how many schools there are in those two fields.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Jaydog57 wrote:
The last UF home game I went to was the '02 Miami game when we won 41-16. I clearly don't remember any Gator fans singing after that one. They do have some cool fans though.
In '03 I watched that game at a bar in G'ville and all the Gator fans were talking smack the whole game 'cause they were ahead, but after we came back and won at the end, a few came up and said 'congrats', and bought me a couple of beers.
I've never been to a single home game where the crowd didn't sing on the way out and I was there for four years and went to most every home game. I even watched the Gators play at UM once and a large group of fans sang leaving that game.

"Alex44 wrote:
University of Miami gets such a bad reputation, but the fact is that we are one of the top academic schools in the country as well as sports programs. On top of that Randy Shannon has seriously improved the grades of our student athletes (which were never bad to begin with other than a few kids).
Wouldn't exactly qualify it as one of the top but it's in the above-average pile.
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"anlgp wrote:
what the hell's all this about???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Hurricanes_football#Controversies_and_scandals
"Alex44 wrote:
University of Miami gets such a bad reputation, but the fact is that we are one of the top academic schools in the country as well as sports programs. On top of that Randy Shannon has seriously improved the grades of our student athletes (which were never bad to begin with other than a few kids).
Agreed Alex. Also, for all the Thug U crap, read this.