1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colmax's Corner - Wk 1 (vs Patriots)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I have always wanted to do a weekly, let's say, 'column' for a site. I have done some paid work in the past for various sites in the past, which never amounted to much given my time constraints.

Time for these extracurricular things always plays a major role. Even making time for engaging responses on this site has been somewhat of an issue for me. Writing has always been a passion of mine, and I hope to one day have a story published.

Keep in mind, I am merely a fan, just like you all. While I like to think I know a little about football, I am reminded on a regular basis that I do not know half as much as I would like when I read some of the posts on this site. It is a real treat for me!

Without further adieu.....

Going into this week, I had some real questions:

How would the new offense look? Is this defense good enough to change games? Is Lamar Miller really the starter?

The offense looked fantastic running the ball. Both Lamar Miller and Knowshon Moreno had greater than five yards per carry. But let's be honest: Moreno stole the show in the running department! While I had a hunch Moreno would take the majority of carries this game, I did not see 24 attempts for 134 yards. What I think surprised me the most is that they consistently attacked the middle of the line with good results.

As I expected, Tannehill looked indecisive and uncomfortable with the offense. I think he made some nice throws, but the timing and accuracy could be much better. He was obviously comfortable with Hartline on a throw or two. He looked to force some throws to Wallace. And while Wallace looked a little soft in the beginning of the game, especially with the turnover, I thought he showed a little more toughness later on.

I honestly do not understand the dynamic between Wallace and Tannehill. They are certainly not on the same page on some of these plays, and I am not sure that they ever will be. The talk all off-season was how Tannehill was becoming more 'vocal'. That's fine, but only if you are in command. If you ask me, he does not seem to have command of this offense. I am not so sure he is even comfortable being in that role. First game. New offense. Win. I certainly give him a pass. I saw him jawing at Lamar Miller a bit at one point. I guess that's a start?

While writing, I am watching Peyton Manning precisely pick apart the Indianapolis defense. I miss those perfect throws from years ago from a quarterback named Marino.

The defense really came to play. I give credit to those guys towards the end of the second quarter holding New England to a field goal. I think the Patriots had over twenty minutes of possession by the end of the first half, and I quite honestly thought Miami was going to get blown away come the second. Whatever adjustments made at the half really worked. Props to the coaching staff!

My question was certainly answered about the defense: they can change the outcome of a game. Tom Brady did not want ANYMORE of this defense. He looked dejected and hurt. With three or four sacks, the hits came a plenty! This photo pretty much sums it up:

[​IMG]

While the Patriots got called for nine penalties for 100 yards, does it seem like they get away with a bunch more? Miami only had four for 26 yards.

Also, let's give it up for the reserve linebacker corps. They got some good work in. I am still a little disappointed at some of the poor open-field tackling.

Is it me, or does Philbin's post-game speeches after a win seem.....sermon-y? To see the players nod in approval after he says “team effort” just gives me the willies. I have no clue why.

Good stat: Third Down Efficiency – 7/13 for 53%
    Bad stat: Turnovers – 3 (2 lost)

My Fantasy Football Team (in progress) **I play in a PPR league**

QB – Ben Roethlisberger – (18.40)
    WR – Antonio Brown (17.60)
    WR- Michael Floyd (plays tomorrow)
    WR- Jeremy Maclin (15.70)
    RB – Matt Forte (16.90)
    RB – Le'Veon Bell (25.70)
    TE – Julius Thomas (27.40 – in progress)
    K – Dan Carpenter (13.00)
    Defense – Texans (24.00)

Total – 158.40
    Opponent – 60.76

Needless to say, I am killing it right now. I made the decision Thursday to drop Arizona's defense for the Texans. In a random thought at work, I felt that this would be a prudent decision based on a few things; RGIII comments that he does not care if he is liked. Seems like he and Gruden are not on the same page. Texans playing at home. JJ Watt signs big contract.

I also benched Andrew Luck for Ben Roethlisberger, who was picked up in waivers. I felt that while Cleveland has a pretty good defense, Pittsburgh showed me something in pre-season. I think they could put up some numbers. They have some really good weapons on offense. I am a bit surprised, though, Roethlisberger only threw one touchdown. I am not surprised by his passing yards.

While Luck might have seemed to be the proper choice, there were many factors that led me to bench him. Indy beat them last year. Peyton Manning may not admit it, but I think he holds grudges. Denver is at home. I thought that Luck may have to throw for a bunch of yards to keep up, but with increased attempts, the chances of interceptions increase. Sacks came to mind. Aqib Talib came to mind. He has an interception tonight up to this point. While I do not necessarily need the points, I will be disappointed in myself if he scores a bunch.

CAPTION TIME!

[​IMG]