1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colts Offensive guru Tom Moore retires

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, May 14, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They also lost their ST coach, Manning's football IQ is huge though, so how this will effect them when we play remains to be seen.

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Manning is great no matter who's coaching him.

But things like this hurt a team. I mean, it's mid-May and they've got to find an OC and an OL coach. You wonder if Caldwell is going to act as OC for a year or something to that effect. It's never a good thing to start learning a new offense in June.

steveincolorado likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    From what I've been reading, Caldwell wants "his" guys in place and Moore had to be talked into coming back this year and the pension deal was just a excuse to pull the plug.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This will have some effect on the offense but not too much of a one in my opinion. When Tom Moore was the OC, he basically gave Peyton three formations to choose from and Peyton selected a play from one of the three I believe. Peyton basically called his own plays and made all the calls on the field, from the original play call to audibles and adjustments.

GISH likes this.
  5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Peyton is without a doubt the driving force of that offense. He could run that offense with no coaching staff. Just give him photos of the defense while he's on the sideline, and he can do his thing.

The Colts should have made a push for Rex Ryan IMO. They need a defensive head coach. If they had a defense like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or New England, they would be a dynasty.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agreed. Usually in pre-season, when Jim Sorgi replaces him on the field, he calls the plays. He takes over Tom Moore's duties.

Agreed. Though, Rex Ryan would have been really difficult for them because the switch to a 3-4 would be very difficult IMO. Their defensive line averaged 265 pounds, which is way less than needed, and their linebackers are small. I know they would bring in players to fit the system but that would be a tremendous turnaround. They are already slowly going away from the Tampa 2 that Dungy installed; Caldwell said he wanted them to get bigger, which makes sense when you look at the number I stated earlier but that's a defense that has won two Super Bowls (Tampa Bay & Indy).

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Tony Dungy was a defensive HC... Not sure Ryan or anyone else would help.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Peyton M is not a happy camper with Moore and Mudd being gone and the general confusion that a rookie Head Coach can bring with them:

http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/2018