1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combine Stock Report - TE Risers and Fallers (Thurs. Feb 22)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bpk, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

http://walterfootball.com/combine2013stockTE.php

He's already gone from being mentioned as a fourth or fifth on this board a month ago to being regarded as a possible 2nd rounder.

Vance McD continued to climb too...

Jordan Reed fell, as did Zach Ertz.

Reed at 6-2 and under 240 is starting to look like he's a cross between an H-back and Hernandez-type. Kind of a tweener, which is disappointing to me as he is, imo, the most dynamic Tight End in the draft with the ball in his hands.

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I've lost interest in Reed. I don't think he's Hernandez 2.0. He's a poor man's Hernandez IMO. (and not b/c of his combine height/weigh-in)

Call me nuts but I can't see us drafting Escobar after using a 3rd last year on Egnew b/c they're similar players in my eyes. I think we go for either a true upgrade like Eifert, a physical guy like Vance McDonald to replace Fasano, an upgrade at Hback like Chris Gragg, or a redzone killer like Chris's guy, Joseph Fauria. Those would be the 4 I'd have my eyes on.

Considering we only have 1 hback (Clay) and how many Philbin had rostered in Green Bay, I'd say there's a great chance we add another one.

Bpk likes this.
  3. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    So did he say why he thought Ertz stock fell some? size issue?

4. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    All because of the weigh in?

If that's the case then people are starting to get a absurd with the combine.

Boomer and Clark Kent like this.
  5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

My guess would be slightly shorter arms the rest of the top TEs. Though he's tied for the 2nd biggest hands among the top 5 TEs. The biggest hands among Eifert, Ertz, Kelce, Escobar and Reed, belong to the latter. Over 10" hands and long arms considering he is only 6'2.5.

Bpk likes this.
  6. MrClean

Gragg has the second smallest hands among the combine TEs. Weren't you concerned about Ryan Swope having small hands among the WRs?

Boomer and Bpk like this.
  7. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    do they measure wing span? wonder how he compares to the others in that sense...

8. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Did I say it was b/c of the combine? Get carried away much with your thinking do you?

9. MrClean

Bpk likes this.
  10. MrClean

Well, my young friend, his confusion is logical when one considers this thread is about the weigh-in and as it pertains to the TEs. :)

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Gragg's 9 inch hands might be 2nd smallest among TEs at the combine but they're not small for a pass catcher. They're the same size as Cordarrelle Patterson's and bigger than Terrance Williams'.
    Gragg is more of an Hback than TE so it doesn't surprise me his hands are smaller than a group of guys bigger than he is.

On the other hand, Swope's hands measured 8 1/8 at the Senior Bowl which would've been good for last among all WRs & TEs last year.
    Now, apparently Swope's hands are 8.48 which is obviously better than his Senior Bowl measurement but is still good for 2nd worst.

It's worth nothing the 6.024 foot tall Gragg's arm length is only .10 shorter than 6'7 Fauria and equal to 6'6 Escobar.

MrClean likes this.
  12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I don't buy in to hand size being terribly relevant for WRs. For TEs maybe some as blockers- maybe- and I would want a QB with bigger hands- very surprised as to the size of Barkley's mitts, that might help him a bit. WRs can either catch the ball or they can't, whether their hands are 8" or 10", whatever, it's not like they have to palm the ball. Ricky Williams had tiny hands iirc, he did just fine as per carrying the ball.

And as to Reed- he looks like a player imo, and I would use Hernandez as a template. Reed has some size to him, can block, catch and certainly has some speed and quicks. I think that he certainly belongs on the radar.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If a receiver's hands are too small it can be a concern for holding onto the greater amount of contested passes they'll be faced with at the next level. I have small hands and can catch everything in sight and could do so in college from one of Clemson's safeties who was also a pitcher with a 95mph fastball, but with a 200 pound defensive back raking down on my forearms/hands the chances of me holding onto a catch would drop significantly.

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Again, as to protecting the ball Ricky Williams did just fine and his hands were tiny. I see your point, but I'd focus on to the actual efficiency of WRs catching the ball- there is logic to what you say, but WR hand size is not something that I would focus on, jmo. If I like Swope I'd draft him, if his hands were 8" or 10". QBs- different story, they have to be able to grip the ball in all kinds of weather.

15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't think it's an issue either unless the hands are on the really small side but that still wouldn't prevent me from drafting a player I like; however I could see it costing the player a round or so. That's all I was getting at.