1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come out in the no huddle

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Shane Falco, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    Don't wait until we are down 3 TDs.

The Bills did it for years.

tirty8, smahtaz and resnor like this.
  2. Harleydude666

Harleydude666 Active Member

Mar 17, 2014
    BwaaaWaaaaaHaaaaa he said Bills:laughy:
    dude, we ain't the early 90s Bills. We need a running back before we start doing it the whole game

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm not sure that hurrying up to the line is necessary, but we do seem to move the ball better with the plays that are called in no huddle. We're going to be 3-WR most of the time, and we can't run the ball, so just stay out there and keep at it.

resnor and Shane Falco like this.
  4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I don't know. There's good and bad.

The good is that you could catch the D on their toes and tire them. The bad....your defense gets tired. This is the second game in a row Miami has been behind in TOP. I agree that the D had a part in both losses, but damn, they're tired.

Quite frankly, both of these young coaches were clearly out-coached in the first half. The team is learning new systems on both sides. They showed some guts today. Unfortunately, it was too little too late.

Tin Indian and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  5. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    How effective was it because we were down 3 TD's? It's great that we moved the ball and scored but the game was pretty much over at that point.

Finster and dolphin25 like this.
  6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Newsflash: we weren't running the high tempo no huddle until the second half...or it just looked completely different in the second half.

7. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I don't buy the "they're tired" excuse for the defense...sure, maybe by the third quarter...but they were pathetic right from the first snap.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't think that New England changed their defense very much. What did change was that Miami started calling faster developing pass plays and guys were getting open in medium depth routes. Its a little frustrating because we've switched to a new coaching staff and have some of the same issues as before, but the slower developing plays that they try to call early in the game just don't work. The other team is just ready to stop them and blow them to pieces. We need to start the game with more high percentage "confidance" plays and get into a rhytm, make a few first downs, and gain some field position, even if we don't score. Quit worrying about hitting on big plays, and try to make a few average ones first.

DolphinGreg and dolphin25 like this.
  9. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    the defense was tired because right from the start they let Jimmy Garrapolo march up and down the field.

If they wanted to get off the field, try making a play.

miami365 likes this.
  10. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    They didn't change the scheme at all. But when a game isn't competitive, how much fire and energy exists? I'm going to say less than normal if any at all.

11. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    NE was in the same defense most of the game. Very late they went to more of a "Prevent" but they had the box stacked most of the time out there.

The offense definitely needs to come out if the gate in the hurry up. They are most effective in it and maybe if we can tire their defense out running it, the running game may be more effective.

The biggest problem I see in the running game is we don't run block very well.

12. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    If we can still attempt to run from this formation, it makes sense. Run blocking had been bad and pass has been exceptional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    What I see is that QB17 played better once the pressure was gone, and he's done that before, once you're down 24-0, all the pressure is gone.

QB17s problem is not in his arm, legs or body, it's in his head, he's just not a money player.

findifference and bigballa2102 like this.
  14. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Have you ever had a positive take on anything he has ever done? Was there any pressure late in both second halves of our first two games? Not a money player now? So if the defense stops the Seahawks on a 4th down play, RT is money? Fin D is right. This fan base needs an enema.

15. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Some one needs a nap.

16. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I recommend a Sleep Number bed if you can budget for it. They're great.

Finster likes this.
  17. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    In theory a faster tempo should help the run game a little. If it does, we should do it. Cause we ain't going nowhere with the running game as it currently operates.

dolphin25 likes this.
  18. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Yeah, not much for the RB's to work with. Pass blocking has been a plus

19. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    He played well for 1 half in the second game, and on 1 drive in the first game.............. the dropped TD was all on Stills so you could say 2 drives in the first game.

20. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    Nope. I sleep just fine. Just wonder when you will pass on anything positive about RT instead of searching for "hidden " psychological reasons.

resnor likes this.
  21. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Don't hold your breath.

Some of these posters are so invested in Tannehill being the problem, that have been, and continue to do so, inventing reasons why he's the problem.

smahtaz, Shane Falco and LI phinfan like this.
  22. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    And in those two games RT comes to anybody's mind 1st over what happened over the 1st two games?. I don't pretend to know if he is the right guy. Some on here go out of their way to throw made up shade his way. I'm willing to play it out this season.. Some love to take their shots daily. Want to rate how many qtrs the defense played well? Or the rb's? Or the WR's?

Shane Falco likes this.
  23. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, people throwing crap at Tannehill through these first two games are really showing their bias. He's had some struggles, but that's to be expected with a new offense, and with playing the best defense in the league week one.

Everyone should be harping on the defense.

LI phinfan and Shane Falco like this.
  24. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    You know what I do about them?

Adios senorita!

resnor likes this.
  25. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I can see that, but can you say that the second half wasn't because the Patriots slacked off some? It would be really awesome to see him play a complete game really well so we would all know he is the guy instead of every game their being questions.

Do you think the WR's did anything different in the second half? Perhaps there were better plays called that allowed them to be more effective?
    I think the OL played the same in both halves.

26. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I can see that, but can you say that the second half wasn't because the Patriots slacked off some? It would be really awesome to see him play a complete game for several games really well so we would all know he is the guy instead of every game their being questions.

Do you think the WR's did anything different in the second half? Perhaps there were better plays called that allowed them to be more effective?
    I think the OL played the same in both halves.

27. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    That's why he was booted from Phinfever lol.

A leopard can't change his stripes.

LI phinfan and resnor like this.
  28. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    Do you think the Pats started playing defense when we cut it to 14? Or when we cut it to 7? Or had the ball with a chance to tie? I know what I think? What about you?

jdallen1222, Shane Falco and resnor like this.
  29. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

lol

https://twitter.com/T_Zayas7/status/777928765150289920

30. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I think that knowing BB, he never let's up. It's one of the hallmarks of his teams. The Pats were still crowding the line in the third quarter.

cuchulainn, Shane Falco and smahtaz like this.
  31. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Go back and watch all the throws on NFL.com after the Garappolo injury. Rarely did Ryan see more than a four man rush. They stunted a handful of times with five, but most of the time Matt Patricia was dropping seven into coverage regardless of how many players were up at the LoS.

It wasn't "prevent" but it allowed Ryan time to move around outside of the pocket and open up passing lanes in the zone.

dolphin25 and bigballa2102 like this.
  32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Small sample, but pertaining directly to this thread: Ryan's splits this season.

Huddle: 28/50, 56%, 332 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 59.8 rating, 6.6 YPA

No Huddle: 20/24, 83.33%, 243 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 136.6 Rating, 10.1 YPA

(I don't trust the numbers profootballreference.com has for his carrer on no huddle. The number of snaps is far too small to be right. Per their numbers, his career averages are almost identical, FWIW)

33. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    I'm going out on a limb here, but what do you want to bet the huddle plays are scripted?

resnor likes this.
  34. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    pro-football-reference often has stats that are very slightly different from the official NFL stats while ESPN seems to track the official stats, but the difference is so minor I usually ignore it because you can't easily download NFL or ESPN stats. For example, for 2015:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00/splits/2015/
    http://www.nfl.com/player/ryantannehill/2532956/situationalstats?season=2015
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14876/year/2015

Note that stats that really should be exactly the same, like splits by quarter, are slightly different. I mean we're talking here definitions for "attempts", "completions" and "quarter". Really should be no difference but there is one (1st quarter splits are identical but not the others by usually 1 attempt or 1 completion difference).

In any case, NFL and ESPN don't seem to have "no-huddle" stats, so who knows what's correct here. "shotgun" stats are also slightly different between ESPN and pro-football-reference but NFL doesn't show them.

35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I usually trust ProfootballReference.com, though I've been burned a time or two, but on this one, the numbers are far too small to be right. Its likely a case of the data just not being collected in an accurate way in the first place.

36. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    We are where we were offensive line wise when Marino was QB. We have a good pass blocking OL that couldn't drive block worth a damn. Hopefully we can figure it out this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

adamprez2003 likes this.
  37. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    You are Trying too hard. The offense as a WHOLE stunk in the 1st half. The offense as a WHOLE played much better in the second. Defense stunk for 3/4 of the game. Minimizing the 1st half or the second half is really futile. On top of that, being critical of the last throw in the endzone shows an attempt at a clear bias. Both sides of this argument are trying too hard. Plenty of tangible things that both sides use, no need to reach for evidence...and that goes for both sides.

38. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I think it is normal and common for a defense to let up when they have a 30 point lead, that is just logical. Ever heard of the prevent defense????? Not saying the Patriots went prevent, but I would be surprised if the players didn't mentally let up. Remember once upon a time when the Dolphins like a HUGE lead against the Jets like 40 to nothing, the defense was laughing and making jokes on the sidelines and then all of a sudden it was oh $hit, and they ended up losing? Same thing possibly here.

again you avoid the question, why is that?

39. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Why do you say that? You think the Line blocked worse in the first half? Both halves had zero sacks. The WR's played better in the second half??? How can that argument be made or validated? The RB's did nothing either half. The only thing that changed was the QB and perhaps the play calling. Why is that?

40. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We need to go no huddle more. Seriously. I understand the fear of leaving your defense out to dry if you aren't picking up first downs, but it's clear Ryan plays his best football in the hurry up. It also makes the defense scramble around, and in the Miami heat, that's a big bonus. And in the 2nd half we can let the running game take over against a defense that has nothing left.