1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commentary: Come On Down, Brett!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phunwin, Jul 12, 2008.

1. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

2. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
  3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Just say NO to Favray, bad idea and it ain't happening anyway.
    Last thing this team needs is a publicity & stat-seeking hound who's got 1-2 years left on a good career (sound familiar? do the initials JT mean anything to you?)

We need to put Beck or Henne on the field, give them reps, let this young team gel together, we don't need the Favray drama when all it owuld mean is likely 1-3 extra wins and it would slow down our rebuild process, which is why Parcells would never fall for this anyway.

4. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Phunwin's blog makes perfect sense!!!! We are not talking about bringing in a Daunte Culpepper here who was all busted up. Favre is in great shape and is throwing 50 yard bullets to high school receivers in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. So maybe Beck, McCown and Henne's feelings might be hurt by being upseeded by Brett, but Brett has a couple good years left in him.....in a couple years we can bring in one of these other younger QB's in and let them have at it. We don't just need help at QB....we need help in many areas but Favre has the experience to help this team out and NFL players around the league would be chomping at the bit to come play for the Dolphins. If Brett is available, I think we have to bring him in. I don't think it will happen....but lets see.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  5. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Get Favre. Keep the career passing yards and TD records in house.

6. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I totally agree with the write-up. I mean come on, who cares if McCown rides the bench this season. He's the probably starter and will never be anything in this league. What better way for Beck and Henne to develop than by playing behind a half of fame qb, not a career backup in McCown. We need so many holes that it would be nice to have a shot at winning for once.

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Give me a break with the Favre stuff...he ain't comin' here.. some reasons...

1) He's a WCO guy....has been for 17 yrs...As with most WCO QBs he'll have to transistion to Henning's offense...History tells us that nearly all QBs have issues with changing back to traditional offenses after being a WC QB...Think Young, Garcia, Harrington, Carr...Don't get me wrong, Favre is better than all those guys, but the fact is that we don't run a WCO, aren't going to run that offense anytime soon and don't have the best personnel to do so...

2) While it appears we can afford to suck up his salary (particularly if we get rid of JT), why would we pick up that much of cap hit, for perhaps a year or two and still have some dead money after 2 yrs when he's gone...(assuming that he'll want his contract redone)

3) When will his body break down ?? Next week, 3rd preseason game, 4th game of the season ?? It's bound to happen sooner or later...we saw that with Marino...one day he was great and the next he has lost it ?? I'm not saying that Favre can't play right now, but how long will that last ?? Remember he broke his normal offseason regimen of training this offseason. Sure, he's working hard now, but it's not the same as maintaining that routine of the last 17 yrs or more....

4) Parcells is rebuilding this team in an organized fashion from the ground up. Even though Favre fits some of his likes (like having a veteran qb for the team), we'll never know about Beck, McCown and/or Henne if we bring in this guy. And will he really make us that much better ?? This team has a rebuilt OL with lots of potential but no guarantees. A weak WR corps, unknown TEs, a rebuilding D that is transitioning to a different style of defense from the last 4 yrs, two RBs recovering from injury/not playing...

5) Would Favre really want to come to this team giving it's rebuilding status and uncertainty in nearly every phase of the game ?? Talk about potentially destroying his legacy...this team might do that before we rebound.

Guys...don't hold your breaths....

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Marino had a bad knee since high school. And his achilles heel was, well, his achilles heel. Marino never had wheels, but he had great bounce and escapability in the pocket, really quick feet in that regard- look at the film of his early years with the Fins, it's a treat to watch him move around back then. After the achilles heel injury he was pretty much done in terms of movement in the pocket, and he never fully regained calf strength in the injured leg. It's a shame, but he never was the same.

I'm not sure how I feel about Favre coming here, but he's healthy, mobile, and extremely durable. I don't see why he couldn't pull a Rich Gannon and play until he's around 40, 2 or 3 more years. What worries me is the potential cap hit- I don't know whether or not the Fins could trade for him and rework his contract.

JT is a headache for us, Favre is a headache for them, in some ways it works. The way it stands now we would be doing Thompson/McCarthy a FAVOR by taking Favre off their hands and out of the NFC . If Thompson doesn't take him back and Rodgers tanks, he's screwed. If he releases Favre and Favre goes to Minnesota or Chicago, he's double screwed. Green Bay should pay us for relieving them and the NFC of Favre, and the Packers management of the headache. Anyone doubt that Parcells/Ireland would mention this in negotiations? If JT is adamant about getting out of Miami, maybe him to Green Bay for Favre and a 4th works, maybe we could squeeze them for Favre and a 3rd. maybe we could get him straight up for a 7th. I'm not going to underestimate the potential actions of a GM worrying about job security with his feet to the fire.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  9. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    ..make...it...stop....

10. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    LMAO...

What happened to all the posts I saw saying that the quality of posters on this site was too good for anyone to start a "bring in Favre" post?

I'm not ripping Phumwin as there are arguments you could present to logically show a benefit from bringing in Favre. I understand the arguments as to why he'd be a benefit but I don't see them as overiding the reasons we should go with our youngsters right now.

I'm just pointing out something I thought was kind of comical.

11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Although I like Beck, it's entirely possible that he and McCown will both flame out, and Henne won't be ready to go. And I also think that Favre could succeed in any offensive system. As far as I'm concerned, if we get Favre, great. If we don't pursue him and stick with the young guys, great. But given the circumstances of this whole drama I would expect the Dolphins brass to kick the tires and look for what might be extreme value.

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    While I agree with the posters who contend Favre in Miami makes little sense, I also can't help but get excited about the idea of Favre in a Dolphin's uniform.

13. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    The possibilities that any young players will flame out are always there.

That dosen't mean you stifle their growth based on that fear.

I don't see any scenario where this team is seriously challenging for anything next year. Seeing that is the reason why I see Favre coming here as a complete waste of time for this franchise.

He's not going to make a huge difference for us and he certainly has no longevity here. We have 2 young QB's with potential to be good starters in Beck and Henne. No reason to delay developing that talent right now with the rest of the team being young and in a rebuild mode.

14. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I don't think anyone would disagree that he's add some entertainment value next year but in the grand scheme of things how much is that worth?

Would he make some games next year more bearable to watch? Probably.
    Would he do anything at all for making sure that we have a talented and exciting team beyond next year?
    IMO not at all.

The entertainment value for one year isn't worth giving up the development time to find out who our future QB will be.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    MonstBlitz likes this.
  15. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Exactly. He would be fun to watch. But that would be about it. So while I wouldn't be doing backflips if I heard Favre was going to be a Dolphin, I would look forward to seeing him play well for us for however long that might be.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  16. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Why so certain that he wouldn't make a huge difference and why so certain that he couldn't last 2-3 years? Look at his stats form last year, they're not the numbers of an old man. As I mentioned earlier, I like Beck and I'm ambivilant as to whether or not we would get Favre. But if Beck is not the guy to build with, then Henne will need some time and McCown is a journeyman. A Favre/Henne combo would work out pretty well I think. Favre would also breathe some life into a gutted franchise, even at 37. And more than anything else, there's nothing wrong with trying to win now, that's what they're supposed to do. Beck's development wouldn't be stopped dead in the tracks if we got Favre, but nonetheless I do see your point about that. I'd just rather try to win now, for better or for worse.

17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's really just a matter of would Beck / McCown / Henne benefit more from watching Brett play or by actually playing (baptism by fire)? I think it's the latter. Brett is not the kind of guy who is interested in tutoring a young player. He just wants to play. And while nobody will disagree that he is a special QB, he has been known for some pretty lousy mechanics and decision making at times that you might not want a young QB to pick up on.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Rotoworld.com

19. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Anyone know what time this will air on FOX? Probably way past my bedtime...:pity:

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Rotoworld.com

MonstBlitz likes this.