1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commentary: Sparano clumsy in handling first big test

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, May 23, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi...3/0522george.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

dolphindebby and alen1 like this.
  2. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    "This is childish public relations work, telling the world that the potential loss of the best player on a lousy team is unworthy of further comment simply because the topic has become annoying. "

Right, and the press would love him to go on and on about it to make their jobs so much easier each day with new quotes that reveal nothing new about the subject. What a pack of vultures circling the roadkill.:pity:

phinphever, alen1, DOLPHAN1 and 6 others like this.
  3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Sparano is not a coach skilled at PR or spin.Its a good thing he is part of a triumverate rather than being the face of the franchise.

The press is liable to misinterpret and expand on anything he says so give him credit for being cryptic.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  4. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Let's just hope what he lacks in his PR game he more than makes up for when the team takes the field!

5. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    *puts article on the pile of the numerous other negative Dolphins articles*

Miami media does the NE and NY media's job for them.

Agua likes this.
  6. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    To the author of this clinincal example of "begging the question", it is his right to announce it anyway he wishes. To be honest I'm tired of the politically correct coaches etc. Give me the guy who could care less how he comes across. Chances are he is much more concerned with two things: The Miami Dolphins, and the players who will be here, as those are the only ones that matter on a lousy team. Not the ones you get rid of.

I need to be sports writer if they get paid for this ****.

7. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

This is really nothing different than what most coaches say. How many times have you heard qutoes like "I'm only going to comment on the players in camp" or "he's not here, and when he is I will talk to him"? Quite frequently you get something along the lines of "his agent and the front office are working it out" meaning -I won't talk about it-.

I personally have no problem with his handling of the situation. JT is not there, it's not Tony's job to get him there, and he's going to concentrate on the players in camp that he can do something about.

cnc66, DOLPHAN1 and WharfRat like this.
  8. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I thought he handled it fine. He said what he mean't and mean't what he said.

9. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    You are correct on all points.

This is a clear story motivated only by a typical cocroach media rep lashing out because the coach isn't giving them any qoutes to mangle and fan the flames in this situation.

10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I have no problem with Sparano and what he said, my problem here is with Parcells, as much respect as I have for him I think he really blew this one. Here's what I posted in another thread just now:

gafinfan likes this.
  11. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

because i think the reality is that Team Parcells has no intention of trading JT. they entertained offers and set a price that no one in the league would even come close to. they have stated they were going to keep him and all that i have seen form them indicates the same. personally, taking into account JT's behavior last season and what is transpiring here, i think the team needs to stick to there guns: "he plays for Miami or he retires...".

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  12. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    I agree 100% on Sparano. What he said was right and it was the right way to say it. I don't agree on Parcell's "blowing it".

When you come to revamp a 1-15 team and you find your best player on a TV reality show and not showing up for minicamps, IMO, you have a bigger problem than that player. That guy has already quit on the team. You have to show the other 79 players on the roster that you are serious about winning, and you won't even take crap from your best player.

If I am the Fins, I think there are enough teams involved that you can "bluff" you way to getting a trade. Baltimore, Washington, GB, Cleveland, and even SD and Jax should provide us with some compensation and move on.

13. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

And the South Fla media strikes out again...they are still bitter because they don't have any good stories or gossip to report...Sparano said what he said. He said what he knows the way he knows to do it. Sure, he's new at the PR end of being a HC in the league, but if he minced words or make it sound 'nicer', that wouldn't be him...so why do it...JT has told them that he won't be in the OTAs or minicamps and may not be in TC...fine, that's what Tony reported...he wasn't vindictive or nasty, just matter of factly...I can deal with that...the question is...can JT ??

14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Thats if you really think that Tunaland is looking to trade JT...What has transpired has been very hush hush on both parts. JT is not saying anything specific in public to 'protect' his good-guy image...well most of us are seeing right thru that facade...it's fake...he's not a good guy, just another spoiled athlete. He has $16.5 million reasons to play ball for another 2 yrs. He'll be playing ball, here or somewhere. He's severely overestimated the value that other teams will pay for him. He, like most athletes in the twilight of this illustrious career in football have forgotten that they are only valuable to the team they are on, not to every contending team in the NFL. Teams aren't going to pay the salary he wants and the compensation the Fins deserve to let him loose at his age and his stated desire to move on to Lala land after football. The question will be for the next two years, "When will the right movie role or whatever offer come along and pull him out of football for good...

So, get a grip JT...retire or play ball here because that is just about your best options..

15. phinphever

phinphever Punk, Make My Day!!

Dec 20, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    If Parecells didn't want Sparano to leak any info about JT then he wouldn't have said anything. He said just what Parcells told him. Parcells or Ireland got word from JT or his agent he wans't gonna report to TC and Parcells told Sparano to mention it in his press confrence. It is simple as that. It was a directive from up on high. If JT had guts he would have said it him self. The media is so used to bashing the team managment that they can't even see when they do somthing right. This was the right thing to do. Got it all in the open.