1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COMMENTARY: The Dolphins made 12 points; I'll do the same

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DrAstroZoom, Aug 18, 2009.

1. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    In honor of the the Fins' water-logged point total, I have a 12-point wrap-up on the front page. :up:

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I disagree about your assessment with Ginn.

Ive never seen Ginn that quick before he was running very good routes and he was playing agressive going after the ball. I'm thinking a 1,100+ yards a 7 TDs for Ginn this year.

Other than that great write up Z.

3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    It's the first preseason game, I wouldn't get too carried away with some of those assumptions... Rather undeserving to call out Davis after just one preseason game. And how you feel Ginn is on a slow learning curve right now is beyond me... Just because he doesn't light it up his first season like Calvin Johnson doesn't mean he is on a slow learning curve. Not many first/second year wide receivers throw up big stats...

Patience, Doc... Patience.

4. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    I have to agree with Buckeyeking, I feel you are giving Ginn far to little credit, I thoughtr he had a very solid game last night. Showing speed and soft hands.

5. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I feel I may have inadvertently damned Ginn with faint praise. The point I was trying to make was that Ginn is continuing on the consistent track of improvement I feel he has exhibited since coming out of the draft. It has not been characterized by any dramatic growth spurts, but it has been steady.

6. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Regarding Davis, perhaps it's not fair to compare Davis's maturity level to fellow corner draftee Sean Smith, but it just seems that at this point, Smith is light years ahead in the poise department.

7. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Of course, but it's just one preseason game. Gotta give'm time to grow...

8. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Myself, I loved the article.
    Doc it was very, very well written.
    I have no problem with your assessments. In fact, the kitchen cupboard analogy was a nice enhancement to the overall.
    I get what you're saying about Ginn - he's getting there.
    I also agree with your take on Davis vs Smith. Davis has some growing up to do. However, I'm not worried about whether or not he'll get there (yet). He's got some great assets and he may very well turn out to be the more talented of the two. But for now it seems as though Smith will be the starter.

As to whether or not it's fair to compare Smith and Davis' level of maturity - surely it is. They're both rookies.

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I see what you are saying, but allow me to comment. There was a big spurt right before that buffalo game last year :pointlol:

10. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Flotilla?

I do appreciate the effort but Teddy looked good and it is to early to to be hard on Vontae. None of the guards were impressive and our center stood around instead of finishing plays. Other than that, I agree.:up:

11. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I dont know what it is but watching Ginn last night it just seemed like he had the 'swagger' (for lack of a better phrase) and the confidence of a number one in this league. It was the first time ive ever seen that from him and i think that may mean good things.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  12. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I thought it was a very accurately written article...across the board. :up:

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You made it seem like Vontae was a failure already. Yeah he had a bad game but he admitted he was overanxious, I expect a much better game on Saturday.

14. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Nice article, very accurate and well written;]

I think you were very fair to both Ginn and Davis...

If there are ppl out there that aren't worried that Davis is actually as immature as advertised, well then I would suggest you start. We all got to see exactly why our 1st round pick has been easily passed by our late 2nd rounder. He needs to wipe that big over confident grin off his face and get to work. That was a terrible start for him. There's little doubt his butt is now a chew toy, let's hope he responds.

As far as Ginn, I thought his route running was cleaner and he did a nice job adjusting to the ball. Like you said he's been making slow, steady improvements in his game. One of the reasons he continues to be given every opportunity to keep the Fins from shopping for a true #1 WR.

There's a couple things that also should be noted...

Ginn enjoyed a night of mostly free releases off the line.....allowing him to get off to the races and do the things that we have pretty much already seen from him, if only in flashes. What we need to see is him getting free of some pressure at the line in time to get out and get open. If he can't, you'll continue to see him disappear at times..

Also Ginn lit it up in preseason last year as well and then mostly showed flashes during the season. This is his 3rd year so it's pretty much make or break for him with this team I think.

If he wants to cement that number 1 WR position, he needs to be forcing opposing DC's to shift more focus to him by the second half of the season. Because that's what it's really all about.....Teddy being a guy that can make it easier for us to run the ball.

Altho I might not be satisfied with where Ginn is at, I have to admit that I'm happily surprised that he's as good as he is. He's come along better than I thought he would....I'm far from sold on him but he does have a chance

15. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    One preseason game and Ginn has finally morphed into a #1.......it about time:up:

16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Took him 3 years but he is shaping up to be that guy. If you watched him play last season and saw what he did vs the Jags you could see a huge improvement. The most noticeable was how quick Ginn was running his routes if he play like this all the time your looking at a beast WR (think Steve Smith)

Ginn is not without faults though he still shys from contact and goes down if you breathe on him. Which I don't mind he isn't a big Receiver but when he made that nice post pattern and caught the ball beautifully he went down with the Jag player barely touching him.

Ah well as long as he catches the ball and moves the chains I'm Happy.