1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commentary: With two prime-time games coming up, the Miami Dolphins can't afford to g

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...th-two-prime-time-games-coming-up-927417.html

Enjoy the read!!

2. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Man we will see this is going to be even harder than the first two games. We are going to have to start relying on the offense to STEP up instead of putting pressure on the Defense week in and week out..

I can see us winning 1 and losing 1 but also the possibility of losing both.. Just not winning both but this team could surprise us all..

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

A win against the Jets affords us a loss against the Patriots in my opinion. Not that this team should or would let down, but a win over New York puts us 2 1/2 games up on them and most likely keeps us a game up on New England (who faces Buffalo).

I am still not buying into New England's defense so I think we may see us start to air it out in Week four as opposed to week three. Which I think will actually be to our benefit since New York appears to be very close to spiraling out of control (between the injuries, the arrests and unprofessional behavior towards female media types) and a loss in primetime may tear an unrepairable hole in the sails of their "Superbowl" ship.

It is a good position for us to be in. And one thing to note, Tony Sparano is 9-4 against the AFC East as a Head Coach. He knows how to win in this division. Nothing leads me to believe that we won't at least split the next two games, if not outright win both.

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I love how measured our team and most of our fans have been about being 2-0. This just continues to underscore the differences in approach between the Jets and the Dolphins. You don't see Sparano making SB predictions or claiming we're the best team in the league. He's talking about the areas we need to improve in. You hear a Jet's player claim that they are the "Miami Heat of the NFL", while you hear Davis, arguably our brashest player warning "there's a long way to go."

The Aqua Crush, eric, SICK and 8 others like this.
  5. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Agreed, just about my only concern with Vontae is if he goes all Sam Madison on us and starts reading his own headlines. From what I have seen so far this season, I am not sure there has been a better all around corner right now. The guy is covering, intercepting, breaking up pass plays, and probably most importantly, helping in the run game and tackling better than most linebackers.

I want him to keep that focus and leave the trash talking for people on other teams. I am looking forward to seeing him come up and mollywhop LT and Shonn Greene a few times on Sunday night.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I was not a fan of the Davis pick. I thought he had all the talent in the world but was the classic type who relied on his physical ability but failed in the NFL b/c he didn't take the coaching and work to improve. That was certainly the pattern he displayed in college. Well, in the pros Davis has taken the coaching and has worked to improve. There were reports that W. Allen took him under his wing and taught him how to be a professional. It seems that he has taken to that instruction as well. He has turned me into a believer. He is not one of the guys I worry about losing focus. He will get beat of course. Every CB gets beat, but I don't think it will be b/c he's not focused. And when he does get beat, I believe he'll be ready to bounce back on the next play.

adamprez2003 and dolfan7171 like this.
  7. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I will tell you something right now: if our offense doesn't improve and start scoring some points, we will not beat the Jets or the Pats. That's just a fact.

SICK, Clark Kent and GreenMonster like this.
  8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Two of the top three Chad Henne performances of all time came at home, against the Patriots and the Jets. Our talent level has improved on both sides of the ball. We've added Marshall, the Jets have lost their top NT, top pass rusher and top corner. The Patriots just got carved up by Mark frikkin Sanchez and got shut out in the second half by a Jets defense without Revis, Jenkins, Pace or Taylor. They have no running game, and one dimensional squads tend to go on the road and lose when they play vs good teams.Your pessimism Sir, is a little misplaced.

SeattleDolFan likes this.
  9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think we can beat the Jets with the same conservative approach. I do think we'll have to be more effective on offense to beat the Pats though.

10. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I think we will win against the Jets and the Patriots. I just have that feeling that we will dominate Tom Brady like we always do and take out Sanchez. I think we will be 4-0 by the bye week comes up.

11. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I'll believe that when they start producing. Last season was last season.

12. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I don't think we have the offensive philosophy to blow teams out. I think we will grind to win the games but won't risk the turnover when ahead.

13. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Then we need to change our offensive philosophy.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I truly believe that Coach has this team with their heads on straight. They just don't strike me as the type of team to get cocky. Maybe that's why you draft captains.

15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I think sanchez will give us a few opportunities to win this game. He played very well last week. Which leads me to believe he wont play that well this week. he has not put together back to back solid games in the regular season once. Combine that with the fact that our defense is MUCH better than the pats defense, and I think we have a very legit chance at stomping this team. could be wrong, but our defense has just blown me away so far this season.

seriously, if you've watched the last two games, it's hard to believe this team will ever give up 20+ pts this season. (unless the offense gives points away, like they did in Minny)