1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing Corners: Florida’s Vernon Hargreaves III vs. Clemson’s Mackensie Alexander

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    While most of the analysis you read in this piece is subjective, Hargreaves having a better collegiate career is not. Hargreaves played in 36 career games and racked up 121 tackles, 10 interceptions and 27 pass breakups. Alexander played in 23 games and tallied 44 tackles, 0 interceptions and 11 pass breakups. Hargreaves was a consensus All-American in 2015 and a three time (2013-2015) First-Team All-SEC selection. Alexander was named First-Team All-ACC in 2015. It’s also worth mentioning that despite entering college the same year, there is a fairly significant discrepancy in date of birth between the two players. Hargreaves was born on 6/3/1995 while Alexander was born on 11/12/1993. The experience, resume and age all heavily favor Mr. Hargreaves.

The reason I am comparing these two players is because they are both outstanding cover-corners and there is not much discrepancy in their abilities to lockdown their side of the field. Alexander is a better player in off-man coverage and anticipates routes better, particularly on the inside release. Hargreaves has the edge when it comes to press coverage as he is adept at being physical with his hands at the line, remaining balanced through contact, eating up the receivers stem and disrupting the timing of the route. The differentiating skill in this area is which player allows less cushion and is more difficult to complete a pass on. That edge goes to Hargreaves. Overall he remains connected with his opponent and mirrors with better consistency.

http://draftbreakdown.com/comparing...rgreaves-iii-vs-clemsons-mackensie-alexander/

2. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    solution maybe = take Jack or Ramsey ;)

3. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    just finished re-watching the Florida-Michigan game and really focused on Hargreaves. He was extremely unimpressive in this game. Seemed to get benched twice after he got beat by Jehu Chesson on a 31yd touchdown and again on a 45 yard catch later in the game by Chesson. Only reason why it seems Hargreaves didn't get exposed more this game was because he seemed to only play half the snaps and Ruddock rarely even looked to the right side of the field at the beginning of the game, even though Hargreaves got beat twice (once on a slant route and once on a deep in route). He also seems very uninterested in tackling and stepping up in the run game.

[video=youtube;Xnpz-hruKcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnpz-hruKcI[/video]

this is the video of him getting beat by Jehu Chesson on a double move. You can't see it in the video, but Hargreaves is matched up one on one and terribly bites on a double move by Chesson. Couldn't find another video, so here's the video of the full game. Go to 43:45 in this video and you'll see the deep in route that Hargreaves is off the receiver by 3-4 steps. If Ruddock wasn't flushed out of the pocket and had his head up, its an easy completion. Keep watching from there, because the very next play was the touchdown he got beat on.

[video=youtube;FmzRgNUva3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmzRgNUva3A[/video]

You'll see in that game that it only seems when Hargreaves had good coverage was late in the game against backups and against true freshman Grant Perry (#9).

really not impressed. Seen some of his other tape too and it worries me how much he is afraid of stepping up in the run game.

dgfred likes this.
  4. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    and here's another video of him getting beat on a double move (go to 5:30)

[video=youtube;v0MhW0clKUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MhW0clKUA[/video]

QB overthrows the receiver, but Hargreaves clearly bites and is 2 steps behind the rest of the way. Good ball and thats an easy TD. the rest of the game, he pretty much locks up whoever he's covering, but most of the game is screen passes and draws to the RB. Not much route running going on. Not to mention it is against New Mexico St.

He's a much better CB when he's playing up near the LOS, I'll give him that. Good hips, seems to have good lateral quickness, but in off coverage he gets beat too much imo. I grade him out as a late first, early 2nd rounder from the tape I've seen so far. Not a top 10 pick in my eyes.

dgfred likes this.
  5. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    Yuck.

6. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    he's so hard to evaluate. like he's got the athleticism and traits you want in a CB, but I would be afraid to leave him out on an island by himself. some games he seems completely against trying to tackle. then other games, he is making plenty of tackles. but as soon as a WR gets their hands on him, he's completely out of the play. I really wish he was lined up on Treadwell most of the Ole Miss game rather than Jalen Tabor.

dgfred likes this.
  7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    VH had a horrid game against Michigan, but he's been impressive against guys Odell Beckham and Amari Cooper. I also find that he's usually very aggressive stopping the run. He's my top CB (assuming Ramsey is a S).