Comparing Joey Porter & Adalius Thomas

30 replies

TRTrackstarLuxury BoxOP
Dec 14, 2007, 11:03 AM

Through the first 13 games here are their stats.

Thomas: 60 Tckl, 4 Sck, 1 int

Porter: 55 Tkl, 2.5 Sck, 2 int

I think if you ask anyone who is having a better year naturally they will say A.D. And he is, but not by much at all. So why is Joey Porter looked at as a FA bust and A.D isn't?......Supporting Cast Supporting Cast Supporting Cast. Our Defense as a whole is terrible. The Pats on the other hand are a top 5 defense even though they give up points every now and then.

Just something to think about. Not trying to prove anything that significant other than we just need more young talent on Defense.

Peace.

REReminisceNew Member
Dec 14, 2007, 11:24 AM

Adalius is a MLB, porter is an OLB. OLB's should have way more sacks/picks then a MLB.

TRTrackstarLuxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 11:27 AM

A.D listed position is irrelevant, he plays all over the field. Even corner at times

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2007, 11:41 AM

Adalius Thomas isn't talked about as a bust because he wasn't supposed to come in and re-invent the Patriots defense. I mean, I live in NH, and I wasn't hearing that about Thomas. However, Porter was supposed to be a huge addition to our team...we were supposed to be able to bring so much pressure with our D this year, after we picked up Porter. He was supposed to help in all facets of our D. However, our D SUCKS. Giving up rushing yards like a girl at the prom, and people are passing on us like we don't even have people rushing the QB. That is why Porter is a bust. He hasn't done crap. The ONLY game that I've seen where he looked even remotely motivated to play, was the game against Pitt. The other reason is, Thomas hasn't been running his mouth to the media all year long. Porter is on a winless team, and he's been running his mouth all year long. It makes you that much more of a bust when you talk alot of smack, but can't back it up with a win...much less a third down stop.

MRMr772New Member
Dec 14, 2007, 11:53 AM

"resnor wrote:

Adalius Thomas isn't talked about as a bust because he wasn't supposed to come in and re-invent the Patriots defense. I mean, I live in NH, and I wasn't hearing that about Thomas. However, Porter was supposed to be a huge addition to our team...we were supposed to be able to bring so much pressure with our D this year, after we picked up Porter. He was supposed to help in all facets of our D. However, our D SUCKS. Giving up rushing yards like a girl at the prom, and people are passing on us like we don't even have people rushing the QB. That is why Porter is a bust. He hasn't done crap. The ONLY game that I've seen where he looked even remotely motivated to play, was the game against Pitt. The other reason is, Thomas hasn't been running his mouth to the media all year long. Porter is on a winless team, and he's been running his mouth all year long. It makes you that much more of a bust when you talk alot of smack, but can't back it up with a win...much less a third down stop.

Just because our D has been very bad this year does not make Porter a bust. Where did you pull this logic from? I think he has been a solid player this year and much better than JT has played this year. If you put the comparisons in the light of Porter not getting nearly the same help Adalius is getting from the pats D makes Porters numbers look even better.

TRTrackstarLuxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 11:58 AM

Statistically Porter is putting up the same numbers in 2005 when they won the SB. He had 10.5 sacks that year though, I can't find if that is counting the playoffs or not. Either way he's doing what he's supposed to and always done. The first half of the season he wasn't making any big plays but ever since Capers turned him loose he's nabbed a sack and two ints.

We need more talent is the bottom line.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2007, 12:26 PM

In my opinion, Porter has been a bust in Miami. I don't feel as though this team would be any worse without Porter. Perhaps I'm wrong, but, when I'm watching games, I just don't see it. I don't see Porter as some kind of playmaker out there. With the exception of the Pitt game, Porter has pretty much been an average player, in my mind. My point was, that is why people would refer to Porter as a bust. He hasn't done anything in Miami to make him worthy of a huge contract, nor has he done anything to warrant him running his mouth like he has been all year long. He may have put up decent numbers, but, I don't think that's what you pay high priced FA's for...decent numbers.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2007, 12:31 PM

Also, how can you say that Porter is having a solid year, due to his overall crappy supporting cast on defense, and then at the same time, say that, basically, Taylor is having a bad year? Taylor has 8 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, one pick, and one TD. Not that bad of a year...especially considering that Taylor has the same crappy supporting defense as Porter. I think that both Taylor and Porter are playing on their past reputations right now. Neither one has played well this year.

TRTrackstarLuxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 12:50 PM

Time will tell. I just can't throw away two great players who have been so consistent over the past 8 years. I just don't believe they are finished as NFL players especially with all the players playing well into their 30's.

Btw, I think Taylor is doing just fine considering the team he's playing for. Porter and JT are getting double teamed all day and we have nobody else to make them pay for it.

Expecting us to have a standout player on a defense that is ranked last is completely unfair.

MRMr772New Member
Dec 14, 2007, 01:14 PM

I think he got DPOY last year and took the off-season off. Maybe the blame goes to Dom for the way he is running the D but JT looks old and tired this year. He has missed easy tackles and silly stuff this year that I have never seen from him before.

MRMr772New Member
Dec 14, 2007, 01:18 PM

"resnor wrote:

Also, how can you say that Porter is having a solid year, due to his overall crappy supporting cast on defense, and then at the same time, say that, basically, Taylor is having a bad year? Taylor has 8 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, one pick, and one TD. Not that bad of a year...especially considering that Taylor has the same crappy supporting defense as Porter. I think that both Taylor and Porter are playing on their past reputations right now. Neither one has played well this year.

supporting cast or not porter's numbers are in line with what he usually produces. I think if you look at JT and JP you could make a case that both are having average years. IMO though JP looks like he always looks and JT does not look as good as he normally looks.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 01:37 PM

"Reminisce wrote:

Adalius is a MLB, porter is an OLB. OLB's should have way more sacks/picks then a MLB.

And MLB should have way more tackles.

Thomas is Honorable mention on Don Banks all Disappointing NFL team.

Hugo GuzmanHugo GuzmanNew Member
Dec 14, 2007, 02:14 PM

Great thread! Some of the supporting logic is unsound, but the point is well taken.

Nobody gets on AD because his team is winning. Porter is scapegoated because, well, losing teams always have their fair share of scapegoats.

RealFootball365.com: NFL news and original commentary 365 days a year.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2007, 02:17 PM

Since when was Adalius Thomas a middle linebacker? Could have sworn he was an ILB.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 02:22 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Since when was Adalius Thomas a middle linebacker? Could have sworn he was an ILB.

he moves all over

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2007, 02:49 PM

No one gets on Thomas because he doesn't run his mouth, guaranteeing wins, and then playing like an average, at best, defensive player in almost every game this year. Thomas is quiet, and plays his game. Porter runs his mouth, and plays like garbage. That's why people are all over Porter.

TRTrackstarLuxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 03:35 PM

Porter guaranteed one game this year, other than that he's been relatively quiet. Point is, at the beginning of the year he wasn't doing much at all. Now he's playing well at has met the standards he usually meets statistically. So it's time people get off his jock.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2007, 03:39 PM

Been quiet? He's been saying stuff before almost every game. For me, Porter has been a huge disappointment.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 03:45 PM

"resnor wrote:

Been quiet? He's been saying stuff before almost every game. For me, Porter has been a huge disappointment.

Name what he has been saying? I only remember him guaranteeing one win.

The guy is playing out of position, and the last 3 games has been our best defensive player.

I'm not happy with the contract, but he has been much better than what we had playing there the past 5 or 6 years.

TRTrackstarLuxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 03:50 PM

He's overpaid by far. So is A.D in my opinion.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2007, 04:15 PM

I don't remember everything he's said...I don't write it all down. I usually watch the Dolphins pre-game thing on my Sunday Ticket channel, and it seems like every week there's something from Porter.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Dec 14, 2007, 04:18 PM

"resnor wrote:

I don't remember everything he's said...I don't write it all down. I usually watch the Dolphins pre-game thing on my Sunday Ticket channel, and it seems like every week there's something from Porter.

Okay, I watch the same thing and only remember the guaranteed win. Taylor is the main one that always seems to be talking that I see.

#1dolphinsfan#1dolphinsfanNew Member
Dec 14, 2007, 05:06 PM

"Reminisce wrote:

Adalius is a MLB, porter is an OLB. OLB's should have way more sacks/picks then a MLB.

He is an OLB to if he was a MLB dont u think he would have more then 60 tackles this year that only 5 more then Porter when u a MLB u have tackles in the 100's

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Dec 14, 2007, 06:34 PM

"Reminisce wrote:

Adalius is a MLB, porter is an OLB. OLB's should have way more sacks/picks then a MLB.

Porter is an OLB in a 3-4 and rushes the passer. I don't think we've ran too many 3-4 looks this year, correct?

So he is supposed to be a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 but that's not where they are using him.

TOTomBradyWootNew Member
Dec 14, 2007, 07:08 PM

AD also played a total of about 8 snaps against Indy AND Washington (total, not in each game, so he's essentially played two less games). He's been moving all around, and he's been taking up blockers leading to ICB (Ice Cold Bruschi) and Seau putting up better statistics despite them basically splitting time (until Colvin's injury anyways). Plus teams are passing alot being behind so quickly so as an ILB how is he going to tackle a RB that isn't carrying the ball? And besides his sack numbers, he's going to end up around the same areas he was the last two seasons. But again, he's playing more inside - the one game he played outside he had 2.5 sacks.

AD is not disappointing.