1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing Tannehill to Luck,

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pauly, May 8, 2016.

1. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I don't have access to my computer where I did the spreadsheet for a day or so, so I will come back and double check my figures'later. The numbers came out the same when I did my control calculations but something may have shifted in my copy-pasting.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  2. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Conversely...

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/729367231100936192

Pauly likes this.
  3. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    All but proves that if Tannehill were drafted by the Colts and Luck by the Dolphins, Tannehill would be the one making the playoffs on a more consistent basis, maybe even playing better than Luck has considering his supporting cast.

resnor and Unlucky 13 like this.
  4. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    Been doing an in-depth deep-dive on Andrew Luck over the last month. The margins that seperate him from Alex Smith are very thin, but those 2/2 margins seem to be the difference in good NFL QBs and great ones

Without reading his analysis the bolded comment screams 'confirmation bias' to me.

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    You can never tell, because sometimes a player just needs the right situation to succeed in, but its a great point. Had Luck been drafted by Miami at #1 overall, and put up the exact same stats but with the Dolphins same won/loss record, would people be calling him one of the biggest busts in league history? (because people are dumb)

resnor and Brasfin like this.
  6. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Remember that time when the flavor of the day was "but Tannehill's arrow keeps pointing up and Wilson just keeps regressing..."

Like that, sooner or later Luck will make any Tannehill comparisons look silly.

Andrew Luck is a football player first and foremost, but he also happens to be a great athlete. Tannehill on the other hand is a great athlete masquerading as a football player.

jdang307 likes this.
  7. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Love these "comparisons"....not one NFL GM would look at these 2 QB's and say "ehh give me Ryan Tannehil!" at this point in their careers.

8. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    So in the Wilson -v- Tannehill you're saying the stats were right and the opinion was wrong, but in the Luck -v- Tannehill you're saying the stats are wrong but the opinion is right.

resnor, Tin Indian, Brasfin and 5 others like this.
  9. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    You know, if I'm the owner and I have these figures in front of me I'd want a really good explanation for choosing Luck over Tannehill, especially once Luck's new contract gets done and you can do a dollar for dollar comparison.

Convince me.

resnor, Brasfin and Fin D like this.
  10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    If you're the owner of Indy, the argument should be easy (assuming both are on the market): Luck is a known quantity and clearly a good enough QB to lead a not-so-great team deep in the playoffs. The solution isn't to go gambling on a new QB even if the stats look comparable. You simply don't know anywhere near as well what Tannehill would do in Luck's position as we know how Luck actually did.

The solution is to pay Luck like a true franchise QB and focus on building the rest of the team. It's an argument that would convince me on the spot.

jdang307, djphinfan and Finster like this.
  11. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    I can get on board with that. Tannehill needs to be more assertive and aggressive. Can he get that fire in his eye like Dan Marino? I sure hope so, but I fear that his previous coaches have screwed him up. IMO, being passive and standing back in the pocket and taking a beating isn't my idea of good quarterbacking. He should be taking advantage of his athletic skills and making things happen ala Fitzgerald who has less athletic skill than Tannehill, but who seems to get more done. I am confident Gase understands this and we will see a more improved Tannehill this season.

12. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007

Yeah but that's not what Fin-O was proposing. For proper assessment
    Situation. You are an NFL GM and you have the opportunity to acquire Luck or Tannehill. You aren't Miami or Indy
    Who do you pick. Take into account Luck is going to want better than Russel Wilson.

13. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You can hump your ratings all you want. 7.7 ypa, 40 TDs, 16 INTs, 4700 yards or whatever he had. Ryan Tannehill has never played to the peak Luck has achieved. At the end of the day, watch the games.

Again, I like passer rating, but it's still just a single rating. And it weights completions/completion percentage very heavily. It counts it twice. So you need to know that when you compare it. Knowing that a short throw guy who makes a lot of completions will have a high rating. Even though the ball just isn't getting too far.

Luck's problem is his loosey goosey'ness with the football. He turns it over a lot. He needs someone to come in and coach him on that.

dolphin25 likes this.
  14. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Brady throws short at least as much as Thill it seems. Never here anyone banging on him for it.

number21, resnor and Fin D like this.
  15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do watch the games. Pauly's statistics back up what I see.

While I do think Luck is better than Tannehill, Luck is overrated by the fans/media and Tannehill is underrated.

Luck hasn't made it and still has questions.

Tannehill isn't a failure.

number21, Pauly and resnor like this.
  16. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    OK, suppose you're a GM trying to convince an owner (your original "convince me" question) you should acquire Luck instead of Tannehill assuming both are FA's. The owner trots out the stats in this thread.

First thing I'd point out as GM is that (almost certainly) Luck is going to get a much bigger contract than Tannehill (you hinted at this already). That means it's not just one GM, but almost all (probably all) GM's/HC's etc... that value Luck more than Tannehill. Since no statistical analysis has proven as good over time as the collective intelligence of NFL experts (I wouldn't make this argument for everything in baseball, but in football it's still true), Luck commanding far more $$ than Tannehill in the same FA period implicitly gives you a great reason to think Luck > Tannehill if you don't have your own opinions set.

Second thing I'd point out is that if you're only going by stats, you should probably disregard Luck's 2015 stats for future projections because he really was injured, so much so he couldn't finish a season. Take away his 2015 stats and Luck looks a lot better. Now a statistician might or might not do that, depending on whether he can confidently argue 2015 for Luck was a different "condition". Not saying which way that argument should go, but as a GM you'd argue it.

Third thing I'd point out is that there's one stat (the most important) that favors Luck: W/L and playoff appearances. Those are of course team stats, but the problem is it's hard to argue Indy without Luck was clearly more talented than Dolphins without Tannehill. In some years you could argue the opposite. HC favors Indy, but no one can seriously argue all the difference was due to the HC and not the QB.

Fourth thing I'd argue is that Luck has shown he can make spectacular comebacks and you at least have a chance to win games where your defense lets you down far more than Tannehill. Tannehill in the right system may outperform Luck, but you don't get the comeback abilities you get with Luck. This is shown in the stats too, with the now infamous 4th quarter while trailing stats for Tannehill. Luck does well there, his ratings don't drop off anywhere near as much as do Tannehill's from "leading or tied" situations.

Finally, I'd argue that the salary shouldn't be too much of an issue when it comes to QB given the massive importance of the QB for a modern NFL team. You shouldn't mind spending extra to get that position down as solid as possible. I wouldn't say this for any other position necessarily (depends more on the player), but for the QB, it's a system issue: rules and their interpretations just make the QB tremendously important.

So yeah, I think there's a good argument I could make as a GM to an owner for choosing Luck over Tannehill.

Finster likes this.
  17. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Because Brady has only been in the league for 3 years so we're going to IGNORE 2007-2011 when Belichick actually gave him wide receivers to throw to.

[video=youtube;yNxr1bWT-ac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNxr1bWT-ac[/video]

You guys are going the wrong way when looking for QBs to bring up when discussing Tannehill. You need to turn around and head back to the Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco/Andy Dalton area. The Brady level is not gonna turn out well for you.

Fin-O and Finster like this.
  18. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I don't disagree with what you say here. Luck is overrated (although there is a recent push the other way). Pauly's statistics say Luck ISN'T better than Tannehill. You are saying he is. I agree with you.

Luck's team hasn't been put together well and I don't see coaching as a huge plus there in Indy. They are also a mess.

Pauly says there is little to distinguish the two players. So they are essentially equal. I disagree with that vehemently. And I think all team FO's would disagree. They are high on luck because they see great ability, just a little reckless with the football. Stats don't tell you that.

Stats won't tell you if 15 INTs are because the guy is such a crappy passer, or is being too aggressive. There is a difference between a QB just flat out not seeing defenders vs throwing to a covered WR. Both will result in INTs but one is correctable. Luck's ceiling is higher than Tannehill and I don't think anyone disagrees. Luck's 2014 is better than anything Tanny has yet to put together.

Am I predicting Luck will course correct and will 100% be better than Tanny? No, anything can happen. Luck wouldn't be the first touted prospect to flame out. Again, you can coach a QB to be more protective of the football, and make better decisions. You cannot coach prolificness and that's what Luck has. He just needs to be smarter with the ball.

I can see coaching turn Luck's 2014 14 INTs into 12 INTs. But his 40 TD passes can't be coached. I find that production to be innate.

Luck has issues. And if he corrects those issues he can be great. If he doesn't, then he'll fail. I think 2015 will be good for him. A slap in the face. A wake up call. You are no longer a top prospect learning your way. Welcome to the NFL.

Can Tanny turn around and hit 35 TDs this year and 10 INts? Sure. That would be great and I'd crown him a good QB. He's got all the weapons now. Short game, mid range game, long game, Red Zone. There is a WR for every situation. Just get out there and do it.

Pauly likes this.
  19. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Things can be argued lots of different ways though.

1. It can be argued that Luck is living off his reputation/collegiate career and hasn't shown that much more than Tannehill in the NFL. A lot of these people believe their team can "bring that guy back" and of course would pay a lot to get the "best prospect since Elway."

2. Tannehill was peeing blood last year, so it isn't as if he wasn't injured? It looks like Luck's best season was more of an anomaly than last year's "bad season."

3. There's team dynamics at work here. Luck has had a whole city and coaching staff behind him while Tannehill has had a city that seems to hate him and a head coach who was probably angry because he may have played a part in getting his best friend/mentor Sherman fired.

4. Just looking at 2014 seasons for both guys, which I think can be said are both guys' best seasons.....

Luck when BEHIND in 2014 - 149/254, 58.7%, 12 TD, 12 INT, 75.3 RATE
    Tannehill when BEHIND 2014 - 219/333, 65.8%, 13 TD, 10 INT, 83.6 RATE

Oddly enough, looking at the breakdowns....Tannehill has better rating when Ahead 1-8 (103.5 tot 101.4)...Tied (116.6 to 84.7).....Behind 1-8 (84.0 to 72.4)....Behind 9-16 (87.0 to 86.1)....and Luck was only better when Ahead 9-16 (115.6 to 113.7).

Looking at these numbers, you would think that Tannehill plays better when games are close and Luck pads stats when his teams were way ahead (17 of his 40 TDs that year came when his team was up 9+ points).

Also, if you want a guy to take down the Patriots, it doesn't seem Luck is your guy.

I think the arguments could be made both ways. I tend to think Luck has been a bit overrated and Tannehill a bit underrated, but both guys careers are in the beginning stages right now. Some people like certain things (ability to avoid a sack when in the grasp) from a QB, which means they'll like Luck.

From reading here the past few years, some guys just go too far and some expect things from Tannehill and make exceptions and special rules for guys like Luck.

Fin D, Pauly, resnor and 1 other person like this.
  20. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Oh, excuses for Brady. He doesn't have the receivers now so he throws a lot of short passes.

Wake me up when Tannehill has the pass protection to throw downfield.

Fin D and resnor like this.
  21. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    There are more than enough stats so that you can pick and choose to make the argument you want to make. But if it's really true that Luck would command a much higher salary than Tannehill in the same FA period, that should really tell you something about how most experts that probably know these stats are interpreting their relevance.

In any case, I definitely agree with all those saying Luck is overrated and Tannehill underrated, but I'm squarely in the boat of Luck > Tannehill. In the end, the ability to lead your team to a win when it counts is what really matters, and even if you include 2015, Luck shows you something Tannehill doesn't, say with stats alone.

Here are some links:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LuckAn00/splits/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00/splits/

Notice two things you'd want to look at if you care about playing well when it matters: 4th quarter rating and how they perform when trailing with <2 or <4 minutes left. Luck is 86.8 to 78.4 in 4th quarter performance, and averages 81 vs. 55 or so for ratings when playing from behind in the last 2-4 minutes of the game.

That type of stat for ME has outsized relevance.

To the points you listed, Tannehill is also VERY tough, but the severity of an injury that makes you ineligible to play is different than one that doesn't. And one reason Tannehill doesn't have the support Luck has is precisely because of his performance as perceived by fans. Maybe in year 1 this was different, but when your team goes 11-5 three seasons in a row and goes to the AFC championship game, it makes total sense the fanbase will be far more behind you than if you miss the playoffs every year, especially when you can't easily argue the rest of the team was far superior in Indy's case.

So sure you can pick stats to show Tannehill looks better. The question is which matter most. I'm like most in the NFL that think Luck > Tannehill, but yes no question in my mind Luck has not lived up to expectations.

dolphin25 likes this.
  22. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Tannehill is definately good at beating the Patriots at home. Maybe better than anyone else in the league:

81/136, 1026 yards, 7 TD, 1 INT, 97.24 rating. Team is 3-1 in his four home starts vs New England, and has scored 20+ in all three wins.

Shane Falco and cuchulainn like this.
  23. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Making excuses for Brady? HE'S ONE OF THE GOAT.

You don't make excuses for the best. You make them for the lesser players to compare them to the best. "Oh brady throws short passes too" is an excuse for Tannehill, not Brady. The guy had a 102 rating, 36 TDs, 7 INTs. 4,700 yards. Nobody is making excuses for Brady lol.

Like I said. This doesn't turn out well for Tannehill when you're comparing him to Brady. Ryan Tannehill, through college and the pros has never been prolific. Never dominated. Never been at the top of the class. Wake me up when he does so.

Let's get back to Tannehill. Who is like, a strong armed Alex Smith ;) That's not a slight, I love Alex Smith's game he just needs a better arm. I think Alex Smith is better with the mental aspect, but Tanny has that arm. Not the most accurate arm, but mostly good enough if you surround him with QB friendly receivers (hello Parker, Landry and Carroo) and less of the precision-requiring WRs (hello Wallace/Stills).

I can see Tannehill, if all things go well, hitting Rivers levels of production (although I think Rivers is better still) 4,500 yards, 30 TDs, 10 INTs.

djphinfan, cbrad and dolphin25 like this.
  24. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I wasn't comparing their careers. I know Brady is a HOF QB and one of the best ever, just saying that other circumstances can dictate how the stats look.

Tannehill being a strong armed Alex Smith is a good comparison. I think Alex is severely underrated.

25. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not a big stats man. I prefer to judge a QB on how he responds which it is late in the fourth quarter and the game is on the line. Can he put the team on his shoulders and lead his team to victory?

In this scenario, I will take Luck over Tannehill every day of the week. All I know is that if the Colts can't sign Luck and they decide to trade him, (unlikely), I would offer them Tannehill and next years first round draft pick and not think twice about it.

dolphin25 likes this.
  26. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    These threads are pointless. The guys who are anti-Tannehill will never back off, no matter what stats or information they're shown.

They will continue to make excuses for pretty much every other QB in the league, while continuing to act like Tannehill hasn't been successful, as far as wins, solely because, well, Tannehill.

number21 and Shane Falco like this.
  27. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I was on forums a few years back, before everyone considered Brady possibly the GOAT, and people continuously bashed on him for the short throws. Winning as a team changes perceptions of players.

Shane Falco likes this.
  28. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well I've read people say Fiedler is better. And I see them post here regularly still..

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    so what are you saying?..that he is not the cause of the winning?

30. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Lets compare Tanne to Marino.

jdang307, Fin-O and Finster like this.
  31. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I'd definitely take Tannehill over Marino right now. Key words: "right now".

Finster and Pauly like this.
  32. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 2022 Mother's Day and May Flowers!

Apr 15, 2012
    Well never compare nobody to the great #13. But who knows if Ryan T could be getting there!

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    lol, leave it to you, to use coaching and player acquisition to give a QB excuse for short passes, all while the irony of that is completely lost on you.

Rocky Raccoon, Shane Falco and resnor like this.
  34. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    On a contrary note. In 2015, by quirks of scheduling, Luck played only one game against the AFC South. Luck's passer rating in 2015 was more or less in line with what he has achieved over his career against non-AFC South teams. Remember that his passer rating was already down on his career rating before his injury.

Over his career Luck has gone 17-2 against the AFC South. As I've evidenced before, he's done this by posting passer rating that's basically the same as an NFL average QB.
    Over that time the teams he's played in the division have posted 68.8% losing rate, so an average QB on an average team should post a 13-6 record against those opponents.

What I'm not seeing is any convincing explanation why Luck is the reason the Colts have outperformed expectations against these opponents. His passer rating doesn't explain it (well it helps explain going 6-0 in 2014, but not the 11-2 for the rest of his career).
    If Luck has some magic ju-ju that helps him win games that normal statistics don't explain, why doesn't this magic ju-ju work against the rest of the NFL?
    Why does he fail worse than Tannehill against BUF, NYJ and NE?

Shane Falco, resnor and Fin D like this.
  35. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    They've always won with Brady so why would the perception change on him? Its because they just keep winning despite many iterations of the team around him. I'm guessing the people that claimed Brady was overrated way back then are the same lot that changed their tune on Wilson. "Tom Brady is not a god, he's just a guy in a better situation than our guy..."

jdang307 likes this.
  36. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Uh, what? I said that I have seen people bash Brady for short throws. They said he was a system QB.

I argued nonstop with them.

37. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm not saying Brady isn't great. However, he was a 6th round pick for a reason. There's a very good chance that stellar coaching, and players that fit a system, helped develop him (with some cheating sprinkled in for good measure).

But, I guess it's much more realistic to have the attitude that Brady was always awesome, but noone saw it.

38. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I don't think you provided evidence for the bolded claim. If your claim is that Luck's passer rating (over his career) against the AFC South is not much different from the overall average NFL passer rating, that's patently wrong.

Here are the averages:
    https://instantreplay1.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/pr-chart.jpg

Passer ratings in the low-to-mid 80's is average across the league. Luck did that in 2012 and 2013, but in 2014 his average was 112, which puts his overall average (including 2015) at 92, which is way above NFL average. This is an argument that's obviously independent of any comparison to any other QB including Tannehill.

btw.. since that chart doesn't include 2013 and 2014 and I don't know their methodology, I did this. I went to these links:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/passing.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/passing.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/passing.htm

and calculated the average passer ratings of all QB's that started at least 8 games (at least methodology is clear this way). I get 86, 86.8, and 89.2 doing it this way, giving an overall average of 87.3. So 92 should be compared to 87.3.

If on the other hand you're arguing that 92 is the average passer rating for an NFL QB against teams that had the same records as those AFC South teams had, well I haven't seen you do that analysis and any such analysis has to be done over a large sample size to get good estimates of passer rating vs. opponent record. I guess I could someday write a program to do that (would be interesting info) but not right now.

So yeah you can argue (not a strong argument anyway) based on average passer rating alone that Luck helped his team beat the AFC South. Having said that, I'd prefer to take more of a scalpel to the data and say Luck improved tremendously in 2014, but that's another story.

As to the question about why Luck isn't better against non-divisional opponents, I don't know but in general I think teams are built to win in their division, which makes sense because you play those teams twice. Whether that effect (assuming it exists) alone explains this I don't know.

Pauly likes this.
  39. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think i misunderstood, my bad..for those people who bashed brady before he was considered one of the great because of some short throws had no idea what they were talking about..prolly the same people I debated the past few years when they said that he was getting old....lol.told them he's getting better..told the the arm is getting stronger.

40. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    I was referring to AFC South passer rating allowed, not NFL averages.

Luck has played
    TEN 2015 (101.9) [once]
    HOU 2014 (80.4)
    JAC 2014 (99.1)
    TEN 2014 (93.6)
    HOU 2013 (93.9)
    JAC 2013 (96.5)
    TEN 2013 (83.3)
    HOU 2012 (80.6)
    JAC 2012 (89.8)
    TEN 2012 (92.7)

For a simple average over 19 games of 90.62 passer rating allowed.
    Luck's career rating against the AFC South is 91.89.
    That's 1.27 rating points better than an average NFL QB would have performed against those defenses. Which is completely insignificant.

cbrad likes this.