1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing year 2, Saban -v- Sparano

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pauly, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I see a surprising degree of similarity in how the first two seasons of Saban and Sparano years have progressed.

Year 1. Surprise veteran QB leads team to unexpected record. Team has good luck with injuries and winning close games. Coach is lauded

Year 2. Law of averages strike back. Close games aren't always won. Injuries come back and we lose key starters for prolonged periods.

The difference is the response of the staff and the players to adversity.

Saban lost confidence in his players, especially on offence and the players could tell and their performance suffered. Ultimately rather than build on what he had he decided to cut and run.

Sparano kept confidence in his players and had faith in them. That faith has been rewarded by the development of young players such as Henne, Bess, Smith and Davis under adverse conditions. The team is rising to the challenge. At this stage there's no guarantee that the phins will finish any better than 5-11, but I feel confident that our final record will be closer to 11-5 than 5-11.

xphinfanx, DolfanTom, SICK and 2 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Let's not forget real under the radar guys like Nate Jones, Tyrone Culver & Lou Polite.

I'm learning more and more that Depth is what wins championships.

Along with defense :up:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I think there are some comparisons but honestly i think sparanos first year was a step above sabans and i think his second year could also be a step above as well.

4. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    This proves that Sparano is the better coach. Working with what he has in these adverse situations and still coming out with wins is amazing in itself. Plus this coach is going nowhere, unlike Saban who took off like a bat out of hell to Alabama.

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I don't think its fair to compare just yet.
    And, when the dust settles, Sparano has two HUGE advantages:
    Bill Parsnips
    Jeff Ireland

We will get stronger and better each and every year. The reverse can be said about when Nicki the drop-out was there.

6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Good thread and comparison. The difference is -

1. Sparano won't quit on us. He's got more character in his left pinky than Saban had in his entire body.

2. Miami's current FO made better personnel decisions than Saban. Drafting and developing Henne instead of gambling on Culpepper.

3. Sparano is, IMO, just a flat out better coach and better equipped to coach at the NFL level. He will see the job through to the third year that will see us hopefully make a serious run into the playoffs.

dolphindebby likes this.
  7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I noticed that too.

8. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I see no comparison to satan at all. Tony, first off, acts like a man, not a spoiled brat. He loves his team more than himself. Unless Tony changes a lot, he'll be way above satan in my book.
    I also think Tony would be the better man and coach than satan could ever be, with or without the fo we have now.
    Bet you didn't guess I loathe satan, did you?

xphinfanx likes this.
  9. evz

evz Feral Druid Club Member

I was thinking about Saban the other day. I was really let down by his departure, but this hit me the other day - I remembered how he seemed to struggle with all the decisions - Daunte vs. Drew obviously, but even down to things like tossing the challenge flag during a game, I remember it being very difficult for him and he ended up with this really weak wristed toss that if I remember correctly wound up being too late, the ball had already been snapped... Unfortunately i don't have the time I'd like to follow college football, but my impression is in that arena he does not struggle like he did for us... Just not meant for the pros I think...

Anyway, I agree, Sparano will steady the ship and not bail...

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I may be the only person who actually really likes Saban despite what he has done to Miami fans but I think when a comparison is drawn to him, it's a good one because of Saban being a helluva coach IMO.

I think what may have helped us this year compared to Saban's years is that we are a bit younger. If I remember correctly, Saban brought in a lot of veterans.

11. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    The Brees / Culpepper flop defined Saban .... if he had gone against the advice of the docs and chosen Brees ... he'd likely still be here - since we would have won much more. he lost all faith, and knew he couldn't correct it the next year.

he did bring in some veterans to help win immediately ....

i just don't blame him for taking a guaranteed 10 MIL for an easier job ...