1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition Camps : NE Patriots

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by The Aqua Crush, Aug 7, 2009.

1. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Ok so I've enjoyed all the up to date coverage on our awesome team but thought we could try and break down what's happening with the three other teams we face 2 times a year.

I've tried to look around and get some information on what's happening at Pats Camp. Here is what i've found. If anyone else has some good information it would be great to add it so we can start to size up the details of our competition in the AFC East going into Pre Season.

1. Several vets have had many practices off, including Ty Warren, Seymour, Bruschi.

2. Brady has looked good, even removed the brace during non contact sessions. His mobility has been comfortbale and he's making all the throws with zip. There is a up and down feeling with the backups, Oconnel and Walter are the front runners but no one is seizing the backup spot.

3. Moss and Welker have hit their stride. They are in timing with Brady (not unexpected this deep into camp) catching well and even Moss has had some acrobatic catches, including two qb's throwing him 2 balls, catching one with one hand and within a second catching the second ball with his other. Yeah we all know he's that good. The other WR will be Galloway. He has had a slow start to camp but has been comming around lately. His speed is something else apparently and will be lining up opposite of Moss. Whoever our other starting corner ends up being, should be able to do deep coverage the best. Thats what we'll face while Will covers Moss. I see the pats spreading the deeper routes out with having a guy with blazing deep speed opposite of Randy. It's an upgrade over Stallworth or Gafney in my opinion and it gives them 2 deep options, which could make that passing attack even more dynamic. Our Safeties and CB's will need to be ready to run long days against the pats.

A 7th round pick we may see some exposure to is a guy named Edelman. He's working the slot and on the depth chart will be a slot wideout. He's great in tight spaces and has good hands. He's been shadowing Welker quite a bit. He has also been getting lots of reps as punt/kick returner. Perhaps they are hoping he can eleviate Welker from SP duties. Should be interesting to see if he holds down the return man job and gets the odd chance at slot WR. Anyways he's done very well so far in camp and i'm sure his opportunities will grow the more trust they have in him. But looks like they aren't satisfied with just one welker type. They may have found his heir apparent. Long way to go but a clone so to speak with his size, speed and utility type of role.

4. ILB Gary Guyton has looked real good. He was an UDFA in 2008, projected to be a ILB and special teamer. He's a fast, hard hitting LB and working well beside Meyo. Has been shedding blocks well, getting to RB's, finding gaps to fill. He is probably getting lots of reps with the older guys taking lots of TC off, the staff is probably getting a good look at him now that he is getting a shot to show his stuff and get out of the SP team's only type of guy. I imagine he'll stick as a backup/rotate LB when the season opens, if Bruschi goes down he may have his window to play more.

5. Mike Shanahan was recently at practice. Didn't read too much about it or why he was visiiting Kraft and Bilichik but I don't want him on that staff, i hope it was just a for fun visit.

6. Meriweather has looked like a beast. He is head and shoulders their best DB and should be playing Safety. Chung has worked exclusively with the second and 3rd teams but has been consistent. Hasn't made many mistakes but hasn't really been given a shot to play with the first team yet. That could change. His underneath and zone reads and run support has looked good early. Nothing spectacular for pass coverage, but not getting beat much either. Darius Butler had a rough start to camp, like many rookie DB's around the league i guess but has been making more plays recently. The two DB's that I read the most impressive TC's so far were Wheatley and Wilhite. One of them got injured and it's not too serious, just red shirted for practice. But apparently it wouldnt' shock many if one of these two won a starting job. They have looked as good as Bodden and Springs. But they will have to have a really strong preseason to beat out the vets which would be a more secure backend for BB. But the young guys may get lots of rotation in if either springs or bodden struggle early in the season.

7. The running backs is still a rotissery like all expected. Maroney is trying to emulate what Morris and Faulk ran like last year. Not a lot of progress. Should be a couple cuts here. The starting three/four may be something like Morris, Maroney, Taylor, Faulk. THere is a huge desire for good blocking from whoever the backs are going to be. Morris and Faulk should have an advantage in this area but it's a need so they may get more plays due to this important need.

8. THe DL has been misreable from what i read. Coaches are yelling at positional mistakes. Brace looked good early but has hit a rookie wall so to speak. The wilfork contract problems won't help this group, it's clear to see that he means everything to that line and bringing in Burgess for OLB pass rush was seen in TC as a much needed boost should the DL continue to have problems.

9. The oline has been good from what I've read. They project the starting bookends to be Kazcur and Light as expected. LIght looks to be in great shape. But obviously the question of depth becomes even more important should either struggle, give up a few early sacks and cause the panic bells to go off about the risk to Tom's knee. From what I've read, their draft pick LT Sebastian Vollmer has looked great. His technique is a little raw but he has dominated and he's one big dude - 6'7" 310 lbs. They nicknamed him Seabass. He would project to be depth at either RT or LT and if he continues to develop his technique could be a dominating lineman. If Kazcur or Light have injury issues or performance issues, he would be the first in line to fill in. Obviously this is great news that a young guy has stepped up to give further depth to their Oline. Just not sure if we'll see him this year or next, pleasant suprise for the pats nonetheless.

10. There is quiet a bit of excitement for Burgess as expected. He should be in camp soon but wasn't there today yet. They figure he'll be an OLB in the pats 3-4 moving from his regular DE in the 4-3. Hopefully the learning curve slows him down a bit, probably won't though, he's a vet and should learn quickly any of the changed duties/strategies as an OLB. Their LB crew should be the heart of their D, any holdups with Wilfork would be great news for the competition, because if he wreaks havoc it would really open up opporunities for the LB crew, who I"m sure will take full advantage. If the DL has continued problems it will limit the total damage the LB will be able to do.

Well thats all i've read about so far. If anyone else has other information please add to the thread, hopefully we can get a good read on our competition for 2009 and what challenges/matchups our player personnel will be facing in 2009.

2. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Thank you for the post man, but I think the more appropriate place would be this thread :up:

3. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    ...and they cancelled practice today.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  4. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Yeah i got to see Edelman play live at Kent State cause my sister goes there and the guy has crazy athleticism. They had him playing QB there and he clearly was just not a QB even for the college game. I think he'll work well as a slot reciever.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Brady won't make it through the season.
    The Triad of Terror will derail his come-back.
    Miami has NE's number & it is up.

:couch: he won't be able to hide from our pass rush:up:

padre31 and The Aqua Crush like this.