1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition for Miami Dolphins roster spots set to begin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1157756.html

• Linebacker: Joey Porter, Channing Crowder, Matt Roth, Akin Ayodele and Jason Taylor take up five spots, and Reggie Torbor is valued as the top veteran backup inside linebacker. That leaves two openings, but possibly three, to be filled among eight candidates: Charlie Anderson (who played well late last season), Canadian Football League pass-rushing sensation Cameron Wake, holdovers Quentin Moses (inactive the final three games of 2008) and Erik Walden, William Kershaw (on the practice squad most of last season), Tearrius George (briefly with the Saints last year) and rookies J.D. Folsom and Orion Martin.

I think that LB's and WR's will see some of toughest battles for roster spots.

2. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I still think we need help at WR and hope we realease and pick up a veteran...

3. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    LB and WR are going to have some real good competition. I think backup OL is going to be fun to watch too. I'm interested to see what Mark Lewis brings to the table and if Murphy can step up his play. Nate Garner and Andrew Gardner should be a nice battle for the backup tackle spot.

Larry Little and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Sports Buzz-Competition set to begin

We finally can see light at the end of the tunnel that was this long off season .

Training camp is about to begin and with that the competition for roster spots.

Barry Jackson breaks down the competition and has some suprising comments about some of it including.

There is much more on this two page article

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnists/barry_jackson/story/1157756.html

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    look for the return of Holiday before the end of training camp

6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Honestly, I think we're good at WR. Sure... everyone would like to draft or sign the next Larry Fitzgerald, but that's much easier said than done. I think, right now, we have good competition at wideout, and we'll see an improved group this year. Unless there's an unforeseen trade or release, I just don't think there's anyone out there who would obviously improve the WR unit.

Besides, the main problem in our passing game (in my opinion) is that we have a QB who has trouble getting the ball downfield. It's great Penny is smart and accurate, because defenses played up on us last season, and we were seeing a much shorter field in the passing game than most teams. That also didn't help our running game.

I think Penny is great, and I'm glad we've got him. However, as much as I hate to say it, he's a limited QB.

Anonymous likes this.
  7. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'd rather see the young guys have a go at it.

8. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    The competition at corner to start opposite Will Allen will be pretty fierce.

Here's a thought... the second act in a play is always the most interesting, and it pretty much determines whether the play will be a success or a failure.

The Dolphins about to start 'act two'. At the end of this season, the foundation of our team will be laid out, and we'll all have a much better perspective on what we can expect from this regime in the future.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I'd rather win & Holiday is a winner.
    the rookies have time to develop & Holiday is a master @ bringing along the newbies
    I got the impression his undoing was more about money that anything else.
    if he is available by mid-training camp & McDaniel hasn't stepped up big time, I think his return would be foregone conclusion
    just an opinion. the guy was our top defensive linesman

10. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I must say, I find this part very encouraging.

11. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Yes it is bro, but can Paul translate this to game day success?:wink2:

12. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    You very well could be right. They might re-sign him. Hey... I love Vonnie Holliday.

However, we drafted Merling and Langford for a reason. It's time for those guys to see some snaps. Plus, we have Starks, McDaniel, and Dotson (who reportedly looked great in mini-camp) to back them up.

We aren't exactly hurting at DE right now, and there's a point that teams need to play their young guys, or wind up wasting a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a 4-year bench-warmer.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Cameron Wake, Charlie Anderson, and Erick Walden make the team, IMO.
    As for WRs, I would much rather have 6 receivers who fought for their spot then one elite receiver.

14. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That is the question. But you know, Paul Soliai did go from being irrelevant to the team's outcome in 2007 to showing flashes in 2008.

15. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Yes bro but he has a 35 year old vet in front of him who he can't beat for the starter position. Personally I would rather see one of the undrafted guys beat Paul out for his roster spot.

Larry Little likes this.
  16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Here's a question:

Do you think he would still be willing to have that attitude after he was cut to give the rookies more time?

My opinion after reading his interview and his small jab at Merling is that Holliday is at least a little bitter about that. If we resign him, I think he still plays his *** off for us, but I doubt we get that same mentor mentality back that he had before.

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Wouldn't you rather have one elite receiver and five guys who fought for their spot though? Or even better two elite receivers and 3 or 4 tough ones who fought for it?

18. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I missed that interview. You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    We are as good at WR as we are going to get folks. Our one need is a big time WR and there arent any out there. None are getting cut, and no, Boldin and Marshall are not getting traded. Hopefully Ginn turns the dial up another notch and reaches his potential.
    The rest of the WR is really pretty solid though unspectacular. They likely wont break many big ones, but they will catch the ball and move the chains and keep the defenses honest.

Holliday is gone, and I feel our DL is about what its going to get. Langford and Merling are the guys the FO and coaches want to play, and want to succeed. We dont gain anything by bringing back aging vets for another year if we can avoid it. They played decently last now, and they will be expected to step it up. My big concern is NT as I doubt Ferguson plays 16 games this season. Someone needs to step it up and show they can come in and not miss a beat when they do.

Larry Little likes this.
  20. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Obviously. Everyone wants their own Larry Fitzgerald. But right now the chances of us acquiring an elite receiver are very low. The receivers we have now are all talented receivers who are working their asses off for a job.

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Sorry, couldn't find it.

The bulk of it was that Holliday said that Merling could use more work before he takes over or something along those lines.

Larry Little likes this.
  22. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'm right there with you. I'm worried about NT. When Ferguson went down last season, we couldn't stop anything in the middle, and I have serious doubts about Soliai. If Ferg gets hurt again, I think we're in trouble, unless we see something out of one of the new guys in camp.

Right now, NT is #1 on my Phins wish list.

23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I think Turner has a legitimate shot (in a year or two) of becoming our Larry Fitzgerald. In the meantime, I like the way we spread the ball around.

Let the battles begin! :up:

24. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I really doubt he puts up numbers like Larry Fitzgerald.

25. larfo2224

larfo2224 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    Believe me when I say that I am not picking you apart, but what gives you that opinion. I really don't watch too much of the college game so I know next to nothing about him. I he really that good, or does he have that much potential.