1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer asst. please?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by late again, Jun 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I actually have a couple of issues that maybe someone can help me with.
    1. I have a Samsung flat screen monitor 6150. I also have Windows XP. Every now and then when it comes out of rest mode my screen isn't centered. It's always 3 or so inches off center to the right. I can right click and bring up an adjustment tool and fix it each time, so it's not a big deal. But it would be nice to not even mess with it at all. I've looked everywhere that I can think of and cannot find anything to fix it permanently.
    2. Is there any reason that I shouldn't delete old prefetch data ? I was told by someone awhile back it's a bad idea to do, but didn't get a straight answer as to why.
    Thanks for any asst. given.

2. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    When you say "rest mode" are you referring to screen saver mode or "stand by" mode? Some fancy screen saver downloads have a very high resolution that can alter your screen settings. It happened to me once but my problem was not the screen being off center but the actual mega-pixels changing on there own. It drove me nuts until I was told to delete the screen saver I had and it worked. I`m not sure if this helps you but its something to consider.

late again likes this.
  3. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

if you are using hibernate, i would suggest that you disable that and use the actual standby mode. hibernate saves data to the virtual mmry set aside on the hard drive then shuts the machine down. standby keeps all data on the "static" mmry and shuts down non essentials, the machine never actually shuts down. coming back from hibernate machines sometimes do not come back correctly and some issues will arrise, usually having to completely shut down and then all data is lost.

as for the prefetch issue, there are two thoughts on that and honestly neither is wrong. the function is to have programs that the computer thinks you might need or want in a stand by mode and "pre fetches" them for you. it will save on start up and shut down time if deleted and should have no ill effects on your computers over all performance. if you delete them, the computer will actually begin to compile them again before you exit the page so you may need to clear the cache once or twice a week to keep it up.

keeping programs to a minimum in the start up menu will help as well.

late again likes this.
  4. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah it's the hibernate mode that I'm referring to. That probably is the problem, too. I really do not like that function at all. Sometimes I have to jiggle the mouse several times before it wakes up. But where do I go to shut it off? I couldn't find it in system utilities.
    Thanks for the information on prefetch, as well.

5. DOLPHAN1

i've been working in Vista for over a year now so it took me a couple of minutes to remember XP...:lol:

hibernate is located in power options mode in the control panel. it can appear in a couple of manners in XP but is usually able to be turned of by unchecking it in one of the tabs in power options mode. once there, it is pretty straight forward turning it off. make sure you click Apply to make sure it is disabled.:up:

XP and Vista machines can run for long periods of time only needing to be cycled occasionally for updates. using standby will reduce power consumption without losing work progress. if you do not use the machine very often, shutting down all together is also an option. i just switch users with password so my daughter can not access mine and let the screen saver and power options for my monitor reduce power usage.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
    late again likes this.
  6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Regarding the monitor's display being off-center: that's an issue with your monitor itself, not Windows. The only real way to fix it is to get a new monitor with 1:1 timings.

7. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007

Thanks for that. I found it right off as soon as I looked in the right place. :hi5:

8. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    If that's the case - I'm p****d. My monitor is less than a year old. I replaced the last one due to backlight problems.

9. DOLPHAN1

he's not suggesting that the monitor is bad per se, but rather a compatibility issue. i'm not so sure that is the case here because you are able to adjust the center back from windows and you only seem to have the issue when the machine tries to come back from hibernate. if the problem was consistent and nonadjustable then i would agree that you need a new monitor. try standby and see what happens. if the problem continues, sell the thing on ebay and get a new monitor as Desides says 1:1.

late again likes this.