1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer/Internet Issue

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Stitches, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ok, so my fiance and I each have a laptop, and then I have a home PC. I don't use the PC very often just mostly storage and then to allow the router I have to work. Anyway, around Tuesday I happened to check my pc and could tell it had some malware on it (hadn't been on for a couple days). I managed to get SuperAntiSpyware and SDFix to run and correct some things. I was then able to get Malwarebytes on there and find a couple more things that were missed.

Anyway, somewhere along the way my ability to navigate the internet was lost. I could navigate the net prior to attempting to remove this Malware on Saturday or whatever.

I am still connected to the net (100mbps the connection status says), and can ping all sites that I can think of (including this one). Only weird thing is when it does ping, the computer makes a "beep" sound which I don't recall it doing before. It is like 3 years old, which is not exactly new, but not ancient.

I am not the most computer savvy person, but can usually work around most computer/network problems I come across. This one has me at a loss though.

Anyone have any ideas or experienced a similar problem?

2. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    What kind of security software are you running.

3. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    None? :confused2:

4. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Have you tried browsing while running in safe mode with networking?

5. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No I have not, I will give it a shot after lunch and report back.

6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Avast! is still running (58%), I will have to try when it is done.

7. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    How long has Avast been scanning??

8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    A while, I have a lot of files. I am having it scan everything.

Plus, it may sit for half an hour at times w/o doing anything because I have to tell it to move adware/viruses to the chest.

9. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I finally got around to working on this more this morning, and when I went in to "safe mode w/networking" the issue was still there (on firefox). I tried IE, and it had the same issue. But then it gave me an option to either diagnose or attempt to fix the problem (can't recall which), and some Microsoft XP program popped up and said it found the problem with something called ProxyLSP (maybe ISP, but I don't think so) and asked if I'd like to remove it.

I said yes, and restarted it back in safe mode. I started off pinging all sorts of stuff like I normally do, and all of it worked as before, except now my PC would not beep when it made the first connection(or ping). So I popped open firefox, and it loaded thephins website just fine.

So however that proxy program got on there, that was the issue, but it appears to be fixed now. :up:

cnc66, azfinfanmang and DaFish like this.
  10. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Glad to hear you got the issue resolved.:up: