1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer question.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by BuckeyeKing, Apr 28, 2010.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    So Ive been using a HDMI cable to my Plasma tv and watching shows, and movies. The problem I'm having is I have to unplug my DVI cable in order to use the HDMI. I know there is a solution out there but I can't find it and I'm getting sick of doing this primitive method.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You have to unplug your DVI cable from what? The TV? What are you using that requires DVI and what are you using that requires HDMI?

Normally I'd suggest a switcher box, where you plug the box into the input jack on your TV and the devices into the box and it automatically swaps over depending on which device you've got turned on. The trouble is, these kinds of boxes don't really exist. At least, I can't find one on Google. DVI has been supplanted by HDMI for years now, which means that whatever switcher boxes containing both HDMI and DVI inputs that might once have been made are probably long since out of production.

A little more info about your setup will help quite a bit.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  3. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    My DVI cable is connected to my Video Card to my monitor and my HDMI cable is connected to my Video Card to my TV.

I cannot have them plugged in at the same time one has to be unplugged. Maybe the key is to go into my Videocard and maybe switch it over that way if thats possible?

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Okay, you have the computer hooked up to both your monitor and your TV? Yeah, it should be possible to go into the driver settings and change which display you're outputting to. I couldn't even begin to walk you through that because there are some variables in the process that could throw the explanation off, but your first task is to make sure you've got the absolute latest video card drivers. From there, you might be able to Google for instructions specific to your type of card.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  5. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    If it's an Nvidia video card, you can go into the Nvidia Display Control Panel and set your options there. Are you wanting it to show up on both screens at the same time?

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    BuckeyeKing likes this.
  7. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I just want to be able to switch it over without unplugging the cables to use.

And it worked :up:

byroan likes this.
  8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Glad you got it working, Buckeye. Enjoy! :hi5:

BuckeyeKing likes this.