1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer/wireless internet question...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by brandon27, Sep 16, 2008.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Hey there... Ive got a question here about my wireless router. Hopefully someone can help me out here. presently my router is in my basement with my desktop computer, it works fine in the basement, and upstairs, and even outside just fine. Im doing some remodeling around here, and im thinking of moving my desktop from the basement to a room here upstairs. In that case i would be moving the router as well. Now my question is... With my router being upstairs, will i still be able to pick up a wireless signal with my laptop if im downstairs in the basement???

Maybe its a dumb question... but It would be nice to know before i rip everything apart. Id hate to get it all upstairs here, then find out i get no signal at all downstairs.

any help would be great! :up:

btw, i have a linksys wrt54g router.

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    If it works one way it should work vice versa. But really, it's a crapshoot when it comes to signal strength.

brandon27 likes this.
  3. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    yeah, im thinking it makes more sense if its downstairs, and it works upstairs because it would be easier for the signal to make it up through the house... as opposed to going... down... thats why im so confused and asking. i hope youre right

4. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    You could always point the antennas down on the router. Either way, if that doesn't work, you may need to buy a signal booster. One way to see is if you can get cell phone reception. If you can, well, you're 90% assured your router will make it there too.

brandon27 likes this.
  5. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    in my basement? yes my cell works down there all the time.

a signal booster huh? any recommendations? Im not familiar with them at all.

6. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    damn canadian houses

7. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    My wireless router is upstairs and I get great reception in the downstairs on my laptop (which I'm using now). I also have my PS3 downstairs and it has a great signal, so you should be good to go. :up:

It makes no difference really, actually its best to have your router in a higher place towards the middle of the house.

brandon27 likes this.
  8. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thanks bro! Greatly appreciated! Did you have to do anything to the router? point an attena down as Regan suggested? or a booster or anything like that?

9. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I do have a booster but its for my PS3 only. I just put them on the wireless router but I don't really need them I am just doing it for extra assurance that I don't drop games while playing online. So no actually you can go just plain old router and be fine I'm just OCD. :lol:

brandon27 likes this.
  10. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, since your cell works pretty much anything will work then. Cell signals are about the more finicky of them all.

Since you have a linksys, I'd choose either one of these:

Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Range Expanders & Antennas/WRE54G

Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Range Expanders & Antennas/HGA7S

brandon27 likes this.
  11. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i know you'd think it would work conversely, but just b/c it works from basement upward doesn't mean it will work from ground floor downward.... i know, stupid.

it has nothing to do with the router though - it has to do with interferences and whatnot. two things you need to think about.
    1) you can move your computer WITHOUT moving your router
    2) if you move your router and can't get good signal in the basement, you can alway buy another router or booster. boosters and routers are so inexpensive now, having multiple is entirely easy and relatively trouble-free.

trying it is going to be your best answer, honestly. none of us would know how good the signal would work in your basement or what may interfere. we can, however, help you with remedying the signal strength after the fact. :up:

brandon27 likes this.
  12. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thanks for the input guys. Once i get the room all freshly painted im going to give it a shot, if it works, sweet! if not, ill be right back in this thread (hopefully with you guys :lol:) to see how i can make it work! :up: thanks again!