1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conan O'Brien's plans revealed

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Samphin, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I would have bet money on Fox...and I would have lost.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/12/conan-obrien-coming-to-tbs/

They must have thrown some serious dough at him. I am happy for him, but I would have relished the thought of him going up against Leno on Fox.

edit: The first link seems to be blocked. I guess this, as the new article suggests, could be a bigger win for Conan if he can pull a network audience to a cable show. I am a bit unhappy about him bumping George Lopez to midnight, since the exact same thing was going to happen to him on NBC.

Also, thinking about this more, cable will allow him to be more edgy than he could ever be on network...even Fox.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...n-will-do-a-late-night-show-on-tbs/?src=busln

2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    kind of a big step down, no? the lopez show is unwatchable, imo. it appears to be targeting a very specific kind of audience of which i am not a part of

3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Lopez is not a good show IMO. He laugh's too much at his not too funny jokes. Too bad because I liked him.

4. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    :lol:

5. Samphin

Probably a huge step down in pay and prestige, but he made a TON of money when he left NBC, so money probably isn't an issue. Plus, I suppose going to FOX, he would feel pressure to have an audience AND compete with Leno/Letterman.

On basic cable, no one will expect him to do anything in terms of a rating, TBS will most likely be hands off when it comes to the creative process and if he DOES do anything in terms of success, he will be looked at as a massive winner.

Considering that NBC basically **** all over him and called him a loser on the way out, he needs somewhat of a rehab to his image.

And Conan alluded to this being a step down in the article, amusingly so.

SICK and maynard like this.
  6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I don't even know what channel TBS is on for my DirecTV...

7. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I feel like Fox's problem was, they are already getting good ratings with shows like Seinfeld, Friends, scrubs ect... They really dont need Conan to be honest. Good move by TBS, should be interesting to see them create a late night show...

8. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Two hundred and forty something I think

9. Samphin

This is absolutely true. The affiliate in my area posts pretty high ratings showing Simpsons/Seinfeld reruns. In other words, high revenue ads for next to zero programming fees. Even if COnan brought them a little bit more in terms of an audience, the production costs would kill their operating costs and probably cause them to make less money than they currently are.

TBS developed the George Lopez Show, which I have not seen but others have said it isn't very good. What is unique about this is that Lopez called Conan and ASKED him to replace him at 11. His thinking is that Conan as alead in will only help Lopez's show, which it most likely will.

The other unique thing about this is that Conan will own the show, which means he can syndicate it later and make a killing. By the way, he is set to make 10 million annually with TBS on top of the 40 million he got to leave NBC.

I no longer feel sorry for Conan.

10. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC

Only reason I know this is for the Family Guy marathons.

I'm another person that cannot watch the Lopez show.

11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Bonus points for using the word "alluded" correctly. :up:

Kudos to Conan for landing this; any word on if he's still going to tour first?

12. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    yes and he'll be in seattle on the 19th of this month...found that out on his site www.teamcoco.com

NaboCane likes this.
  13. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    yeah and you get the office and seinfeld upscaled in HD...just gives me another excuse to watch them all again.

lopez came on tonight after the office....wow, this show really is not funny. plus, he makes these odd racial comments about white people and "latinos" (whatever that means exactly). i wasnt paying attention because i was in the other room, but i think he had some skit called "creepy little white girl"

14. Cosmic

Cosmic Social Disease

Dec 10, 2007

15. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007