1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Con's Key's to the Game: Dolphins vs Colts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Sweet, I was looking for this. A day early, too.

Conuficus likes this.
  3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I was actually later than I wanted to be with it.

Two Tacos likes this.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Wow, that's going to be a long *** read, lol.

Conuficus likes this.
  5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Solid article.

A lot of "whilst's", but that's the only thing I noticed that I could consider negative, and even then it's only personal preference :lol:

I agree about the fact we can't let their Dline up field...

Conuficus likes this.
  6. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Marvin would agree with you about the whilsts........it's English for cryin out loud. :lol:

7. anlgp

I know the origin of the term :yes:

8. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Fine then keep picking one me,......just cause I'm a foreigner..:wink2:

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's Boomer's fault., the "whilst" the UK is sort of Emperor Palpatine to Bermuda's Darth Maul..

Conuficus likes this.
  10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Pretty much agreed with all points.

However I'm more worried about Mathis than Freeny. I think if we handle their pass rush we should have a relatively easy time moving the ball.

Like I said in other posts Colts are probably going to put 8 in the box and challenge Miami to throw it in which Pennington has to respond by big plays either to Ted Ginn or gete creative.

Conuficus likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nice write up Conu, disagree about Ugoh though, three years ago he was quite the prospect and had a great rookie season, he began this year on the bench in favor of a 6th round pick with a bad back.

Conuficus likes this.
  12. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I would have to say that he never fulfilled those promises Padre, the OL coach is still Howard Mudd. Maybe Ugoh plateaued and is what he is.

padre31 likes this.
  13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Someone was really high on him, Ck maybe?

To me, one of the keys to our game is we cannot trade Fg for TD's with the Colts, the offense has a habit of refusing to throw a pass into the endzone and settling for the "safe" FG try, to me when we make it in the RedZone we need TD's and they should at least try for TD's.

And I suspect DC Pasqualoni will have some zone blitz packages simply because A) we have not shown that look B) Clark can torture us over the middle and shorter routes C) we won't miss the rusher with JT and JP and Merling and possibly Wake.

On a down note, counter trends, the Phins have started 0-2 for the last 4 seasons, the Colts have a great September record.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thanks for the read brother, just a couple of questions.

1} We've heard a few things about our spacing as an oline, i noticed it subconsciously in the preseason, but just though it was part of what comes from being braketed by a defense. Now that its been identified, how will that extra space affect our play, it seems like its just what the doctor odered for this offense, space is everything, i'll take any of it i can get..

2} Whats the positives and negatives of matching up Sean smith on Clark in your opinion..I mean hes their 2nd best option, hes a little undersized for a tight end, and Sean has the height and some physicality to match up. Iam not sure why this matchup isnt discussed,lets use the kids skills and measurables, i dont want him on collie... Let collie contract VD...

Conuficus likes this.
  15. anlgp

:lol:

hey at least I put some other thoughts into the post to make it relevant :up:

Conuficus likes this.
  16. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    1). Like I said in the thread relating to the article your talking about - it won't be like adding a foot in between each man. You'll have a small incriment maybe 6 inches or so, and see how that plays out. It affects your angles to the defenders etc. if you have too wide a line split. Also, if your split becomes too wide it can affect your running game as there will be just too much space for the defense to work.

2). I don't know if that is what you want to do as Wayne plays on the left side of the offense, or where Smith normally plays. Maybe you could have Vontae on the outside and Smith on Clark. But in that scenario you have a corner that is known for mental lapses on the Colts wide out. You can do it, but how long before Manning starts running the ball on our diminshed front? There run struggles with size and power, and now we go smaller - which could help them. The next question is who is coming out, are we now a 4 man line? If so, are our defensive ends in a 4 man line sufficient run defenders especially when facing the stretch?

17. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    :lol:

You're killing me.

But their D-line can be effective, especially if we fail to handle their blitzing scheme.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    why would you want a dog to get VD?

Conuficus likes this.
  19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    well, i am trusting VD on the outside with collie, i really like that matchup, davis will maul collie...

Put smith on dallas in the nickel, thats all iam asking for....we have such talent to match up physically.

Frumundah Finnatic and Conuficus like this.
  20. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The Colts don't switch their wide receivers that much though. And, we don't flop corners, so right now we are on opposite sides of the field. Wayne primarily plays where Smith or Davis play, Will Allen gets Collie etc.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    From now on, as Vontae starts to infect receivers, i shall refer to him as..." The disease"....lol, Vontae 'the disease' Davis... Thats pretty funny if i say so myself..

Put the disease on him, that'll shut em down..

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is known as "put that ninja on ya"....:lol:

Don't ask me how I know that...:shifty:

And sooner or later, Smith and Vontae are going to have to play without the training wheels, in some ways I'd prefer they take their lumps or earn their pay starting Monday Night.