1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Con's Key's to the Game - Miami at Buffalo

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
  2. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Sorry about the length, but with the injuries it makes for a great deal if, or type stuff.

I heard about the Lynch injury today, but he might still play so it was never changed.

GoPhins! and The Aqua Crush like this.
  3. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It sounds like Edward's groin injury may keep him out and Lynch is also banged up. We really seemed to have a hard time tackling Lynch in the first meeting and when we did tackle him he dragged guys forward for a couple more yards. I would be perfectly happy if they both sat out....but the Bill's always have a way of having a backup QB come off the bench and look like Dan Marino, so maybe just a semi-injured Edwards and Lynch would be for the best.

Conuficus likes this.
  4. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Awesome write up Con as usual. Between your perceptive analysis and Samphins comical one, we get all the angles covered for our weekly fins game day. God this site rox's!

Conuficus likes this.
  5. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Fred Jackson isn't a slouch and he has that slaching running style - which I say gives this defense fits due to the high speed cut back and ability to hit even very small creases quickly. He may not be able to handle the load of 25 carries, but he can definitely light us up with about 15-18 carries.

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Nice job as usual. Excellent read.

Conuficus likes this.
  7. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Again my friend, thanks so much for your time and efforts.

Conuficus likes this.
  8. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Another in-depth piece for free. You da man con! :up:

I sadly agree with the piece I quoted. Teams know Porter is our one and only pure pass rusher, or the only one showing such, and target him. I'd love to see someone else step up but I've been wanting that for almost 4 weeks now. Con what do you think about sending a corner or safety in on a blitz every now and then? Would this help the defense and provide opportunities for Porter? I'd like to think that if we sent the corner/safety and then showed the same blitz but backed up this would confuse the Bills oline. Thoughts? Thanks again for the piece! :knucks:

Conuficus likes this.
  9. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    We blitz corners now - Will Allen. The problem with that is you dictate what one safety will be doing; covering a WR on the outside. It leaves you a little exposed on the outside. You can confuse a offense with it, but you'll get into the head of the QB to be honest. Most O-lines will chances are leave the corner coming to a back, or personal protector. The O-line will predominantly be watching the front 7, the QB and backs will take care of the outside guys.

Just remember though it will only work so well for so long before your opposition will figure out a way to attack it.

Running a zone blitz concept could be helpful as well as it cause some confusion, but again it isn't new and teams have seen it before.

ascii likes this.
  10. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Great read...! What I'd like to see on defense is a mix of 5 man rushes, on running and passing downs. Basically an array of zone blitzing schemes to keep the pressure on through the whole game. Maybe Porter, maybe Roth, Bell or Hill with a possible CB. Make the QB think a little longer about where the pressure is gonna come from. Guard the deep end of the field and just let the coverage sit on the short routes.

Offensively I'd like to see Pennington start out deep to Ginn or possibly even throw in this Hannon guy on a couple deep plays just to scare the coverage. Then work the interior with Fasano who has been VASTLY underutilized of late. Run some 3-wide formations and run out of it to catch them off guard. With Henning's love of many formations I'd like to see 3-wide, Wildcat and base formations with a lot of motion. I think that would open the running game and unfortunately I think we need to throw to open the run this week.

Conuficus likes this.
  11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Well, I always remember this stat when looking at the TE within our offense:

In 25 plus years as an OC Dan Henning has had a TE catch 30+ balls 4 times. That's pretty telling. Martin may get there, but at the rate this group is going he may not.

HULKFish likes this.