1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool Draft Simulator...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I had the same concern, but looking at his legs and arms and explosion he generates and the fact he demands double and double can't move him convinces me that he is a freak.

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Size has to be accounted for with Aaron Donald. However if anyone is caught up thinking Donald can't be a 1st rounder and/or a very successful pro because of his height then I think that person is way off.

It's just a simple fact that guys like Casey Hampton, Dewayne Robertson, Vince Wilfork, John McCargo, B.J. Raji and Glenn Dorsey all measured around 6'1" entering the draft and all of those guys went 1st round. Furthermore, Mike Patterson measured under 6'0" and went 1st round, as did Sedrick Ellis (No. 7 overall pick) at just over 6'0".

Also, I will be damned if Warren Sapp was really as tall as the 6'2" listings. He's often held up as the model for short defensive tackles having success. Geno Atkins is just over 6'1" as well.

We don't know EXACTLY how tall Aaron Donald is. He's been consistently listed at 6'0" since he came to Pitt. He didn't start out at 5'11" or 5'10" and then start getting listed at 6'0". He has been 6'0" the whole time. NFL Draft Scout has him 6 feet and 1/8th inches tall. His listed weight went from 270 lbs as a freshman to 275 lbs and is now 285 lbs.

Basically he's an inch shorter than Geno Atkins in all likelihood but is a very similar player.

ssmiami likes this.
  3. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Generally speaking what you want to do with these players is what they're best at. Aaron Donald is a more consistent force to be reckoned with than any defensive lineman I have wathced in college football this year INCLUDING Jadaveon Clowney. I'm not saying he'll be a better pro (he might be), but it's a simple fact that if you stack up the games, I have seen Jadaveon be taken out this year by individual blockers (not double teams) many times...and I rarely see the same from Aaron Donald. Donald moves all around the entire defensive line formation from defensive end to defensive tackle so that the offense can't predict where he'll be and then run the play away from him...because that's one of opposing offenses' biggest tactics this year. They just get the play away from Aaron Donald, or they have to double or even triple team him.

You won't find a defensive lineman in the entire college football landscape that has been as consistently dominant this season as Aaron Donald.

So I think when we start talking about having him drop weight and move here or whatever...we are getting WAAAAAAY too cute with a dominant player that should be asked to do what he's best at doing.

djphinfan likes this.
  4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    All of that said, because of Aaron's size limitations, I may actually end up with Ra'Shede Hageman ahead of him in the rankings at the position. I have not decided yet.

That wouldn't happen if I hadn't watched Hageman play this year and felt like he took a dramatic step forward. He's become a real handful for whatever offensive lineman tries to take him on. You can see the frustration in every lineman's body language trying to block this guy. He's constantly got guys off balance, on the edge of losing it. He detonates off the line of scrimmage and he's huge. He's what Brent Urban COULD be.

Aaron Donald is playing better football than Ra'Shede Hageman and it's not even close. However a big part of this is figuring out who will be playing better football in 2 or 3 years. So I am toying around with the idea of ranking Hageman first, because he's got more physical potential and he's actually been playing remarkable football in his own right.

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'll finish up by pointing out all of the awards Aaron Donald racked up this year:

Outland Trophy - Best lineman in the country, offensive line or defensive tackle
    Bronco Nagurski Trophy - Best defensive player in the country
    Lombardi Award - Best offensive or defensive lineman or linebacker in the country
    Chuck Bednarik Award - Best defensive player in the country

I believe he is the first to win all four of those since Ndamukong Suh.

Aaron Donald also pulled in CBS Sportsline Defensive Player of the Year...which is another award Ndamukong Suh got.

The only two other awards that Suh picked up were AP Player of the Year (first time in award's history it went to a defensive player) and the Bill Willis Trophy (which hasn't been awarded yet for 2013).

ssmiami and TooGoodForDez like this.
  6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Could be. I've been watching some film of him and he certainly is impressive. I'd be concerned with him getting engulfed at his size when he gets to the NFL, case in point here at 1:08:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7M1qFydA-0

There was a player behind him, but Donald is getting stood up and bent over.

What I like best about him so far is his ability to knife into backfields with his athletic ability and instincts- he's so quick in doing it, that's what made me think about him at ILB- that and his size issue, of course. I'm also wondering to what extent he could play as an undersized DE a la Elvis Dumervill, because the more film I watch I see him bending the arc quite effectively. Interesting player- athletic, great motor and a play maker.

Heck of a swim move at 4:57, that's football instincts and play making:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7M1qFydA-0

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a mischaracterization of that play. Donald was doing a good job controlling his gap and not being pushed around on that play. He had the right side B gap on the play. He stood up the offensive lineman, kept his outside shoulder free in the B gap, did not get moved one inch off the line of scrimmage in fact he set up 1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage, and he forced the running back to shift to the outside away from the B gap, right into another Pitt defender. Aaron Donald was the reason that play went down for a loss of yardage.

It's really baffling that's the play you've chosen to highlight. I would have chosen to highlight it as one of the reasons Donald is so dominant. He didn't get "overwhelmed" at the end. He was trying to move to where the running back shifted out to but he had the guy at his feet so his torso kept going and his legs couldn't. That's not a height issue. That would have happened to a 7'0", 415 lbs player.

8. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Keep in mind when you consider the size, 49ers are playing Dorsey at NT, Seahawks are playing Mebane at DT. CK pointed others too.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think if you're going to start quibbling about an inch or half an inch of height on the guy who swept the Nagurski, Bednarik, Outland and Lombardi trophies as well as CBS DPOY, then urdoinitwrong

10. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    lmao

11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Let's agree to disagree, what I saw was Donald get engulfed. If anything after watching the play for 5 or 6 times, it looks like the RB should have cut back to the left for a good gain. The RT gave Donald a chuck and whiffed on the LB who was right there on the edge and made the play.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The runner might have cut it back, but if he did that wouldn't have been Donald's responsibility. He wasn't 2-gapping on the play. He had the B-gap shut down. I'm all about being fair on differences of opinion but there's not really room for much disagreement on the fact that Donald had his gap shut down on the play. Had the running back cut it back to the A-gap it would have been the responsibility of back side defenders to make sure he doesn't gain any yards by doing that.

There's really nothing wrong with what Donald did on the play. He did everything right and he personally caused a loss of yards. Good play for Donald.

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Mike Patterson strikes me as more of a physical beast than Donald. I'll be curious to see where Donald ends up in the pros- again, maybe a DE in the style of Elvis Dumervill.

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    He got stood up and pushed in the direction of the RB, if that makes for a good play. Whatever dude, hardly worth arguing about.

As to the awards- the awards are for being an excellent, dominating college player. Dave Rimington won similar awards, same with Josh Heupel and Danny Wuerffel. The awards are nice, but only go so far. Donald is obviously an excellent player, but if you don't think that his size will be an issue as per NFL evaluations and NFL performance, let's just agree to disagree.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I really, really think you're getting far too caught up in numbers on a page rather than football players on a football field. I'm not trying to offend when I say that but you keep having these instincts to move the guy here or there, he's got to lose weight and be a linebacker or maybe he's got to be a Elvis Dumervil type of defensive end. These are things you say about a guy based on the numbers on a page that describe his height and weight. They're not things you say about a guy based on the football player on the football field, what he does well and what he doesn't do well, etc.

I think if you look at the guy on the field, he essentially IS Geno Atkins.

Maybe Geno Atkins is one inch taller but why is that inch good? Let's start there, just as an exercise. Can you tell me why that inch would be important? What could the guy with the extra inch do that the guy without it couldn't?

The only logical answer is see the backfield better. But if you watch Aaron Donald play football, you know he has absolutely no problems seeing the backfield.

You can say that inch gives him better leverage but in reality no it does not. In fact, not having that inch probably gives him better leverage than if he had that inch of height. Pad level is supposed to be low.

The reality is height is generally good because of body build and wing span.

Being heavier is good because it usually means you're stronger and harder to move. But if you're heavier, yet not taller, then your build is the type that speaks poorly to your ability to move and be quick on the field. This is why it's generally considered better to be taller. You can carry weight better, which means you can get stronger, while still being athletic.

The other reason is wing span. This will help dictate how well you keep blockers off your body, as well as how good you are at getting off blocks to make plays on the football. Generally speaking there's a high correlation between a player's height and a player's wing span. But that's not always the case, and that's important.

You brought up a pretty important exception specifically as it regards wing span. Elvis Dumervil may only be like 5'11" or so but he has the arm length and wing span of a guy that is typically 6'3" or 6'4".

The same is true of Aaron Donald. Look at his build. He's got broad shoulders and long arms. Wing span is not an issue. He plays as effectively from a wing span standpoint as guys that are 6'3" or 6'4". Let me give you a real world, where the rubber meets the road example of that:

[video=youtube;YSlvm7kMGBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlvm7kMGBg[/video]

There are tall guys that wouldn't be able to so easily wrap their arms around two football players in the backfield and bring them both down. This is a great example of why height doesn't matter on Donald.

Going back to the former point, he's never going to be heavy. He's 285 lbs right now and I doubt you'll ever ask him to be more than 290-295 lbs. But that alone doesn't prevent him being a 3-technique at the next level as there are actually a lot of 3-techniques that are around the 290 lbs range. This includes Geno Atkins, who is the guy that Aaron Donald really closely compares to coming out.

You don't need to be significantly over 300 lbs to make an impact at that position. Look at PFF's top 20 overall rated DTs in the NFL at the moment. Gerald McCoy, Jurrell Casey, Jason Hatcher, Geno Atkins, Malik Jackson, Jared Odrick and Karl Klug are all under 300 lbs. And I happen to think that Atkins, Casey and McCoy make up three of the four best DTs in the game of football.

So you don't really NEED to be a 300+ pounder to be good at the position especially if you have the ability to shift out to end on some downs and play really well there, as Aaron Donald has shown throughout his Pitt career.

So really what happens is you're just running out of reasons why Aaron Donald needs to be taller, other than just stubborn, irrational attachment to conventions about numbers on a page rather than football players on a football field.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ok. Yeah I agree. Hardly worth arguing if that's the way you want to characterize it. I can just guarantee that nobody who knows what they're looking at would characterize that play the way you do.

17. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Wow, someone is a little grouchy today. You don't NEED to be 6-3 or 6-4 to be a good QB, Drew Brees proved that, and then Russell Wilson came along and furthered the argument even more. Geno Atkins is a heck of a pro at his size and was a heck of a college player, but he lasted until what, the 4th round? Why? He overcame the size issue to his credit, as did Wilson at QB, but 6-0 290 is hardly ideal. Size matters, and again based on his play if he were bigger Donald would probably be a top 10 pick. And he probably won't be, regardless of his arm length.

Is there a size cut off for you? If a DT was 5-9 270 lbs with long arms but he played lights out in college, would size not be a concern for you? Donald can obviously ball, and what I see is an active, excellent play making DT. What I also see is a small player, long arms or not. If he measures out at the combine even shorter and maybe lighter than he's listed, which would be par for the course given how colleges inflate players' listed sizes, it'll be interesting to see where he ends up being drafted.

I call them like I see them, and I'm sure that you do as well. That being said, I did a quick look on Draft Countdown and GBN to see how he was rated- 36th overall at DC and not in the first round at GBN. The question is, given his college dominance and winning every DL award in sight- why? In the same vein why did Geno Atkins last until the 4th round? Because the NFL team scouts are idiots? No, it's because lack of size is a risk. It was a risk as per Atkins, it was a risk as per Russell Wilson and it's a risk as per Aaron Donald. What I see in Aaron Donald is a great college player who happens to be undersized for his current position. That's my opinion, and you obviously have yours, which is fine. None of this deters from Donald looking like a heck of a talent. Have a good weekend.

18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

I've been trying to get an idea of what Donald's true size might be- in a picture in the link attached he's next to Wide Receiver Ed Tinker, who's LISTED by Pitt at 6-2 195 lbs. Tinker is leaning forward, you can be your own judge as to the height differential, and I'm curious as to what Tinker's actual measurements are. Donald looks kind of like a squatty Fullback next to him. It's not just a height issue, it's a size and weight issue as well. Donald- heck of a player, small dude for a DT. I'm guessing that he'll come in around 5-11, 280 lbs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/63256/aaron-donald-making-big-plays-for-pitt

ps I'm not sure what's up with this, but I'm looking around and I've seen Donald listed at 285, 275 and more than once 265 lbs. Now I'm even more curious as to what he'll weigh at the combine.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/aaron-donald-1.html

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Anything that lists Aaron Donald under 285 is using old bio data from previous years at Pitt. They don't have some super secret more accurate source. His Pitt bios had him at 275 in previous years and he's gone up to 285 as he's gained weight and grown each year. I don't know if 285 is accurate or not, but it's the most currently updated number we have whereas anything you're seeing about 275 or 265 is just plain old...not likely to be more accurate for any particular reason.

20. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    We saw him yesterday. He looks 300 or close to it playing next to Ezell, who is taller. We'll know at the combine. I am just making a mental note for now that this dude is in the Greg Robinson, Kelvin Benjamin, beast-mode stratosphere, he is a freak, can dominate at any spot on the line. We need those.

Tonight I will be watching Eathyn Manumaleuna DT BYU. I know he can penetrate, I want to see if he gets doubled often and whetehr he can shed blockers. Also, Cody Hoffman is a joy to watch as a receiver and I want to see Deon Bucannon.

21. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Kyle Williams was 6'1 295 pre draft. The great John Randle was 6'1 287.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Princeton's Caraun Reid turn some heads during the Senior Bowl and shoot up the draft boards. What a specimen.

TooGoodForDez and ssmiami like this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think you have the right of it. You've got to look at the guy on the field, see what he does on the field. Don't pay attention to results, see how the guy plays and make your judgments from there. I'm not going to pretend that being 285 lbs is going to make NFL evaluators feel comfortable about a defensive tackle. But when you watch his feats of pure strength on the field you realize he's easily as strong as guys much, much bigger than him. He uses his body better, gets better leverage, sheds blocks, sees the backfield, has speed that none of those bigger guys have, etc.

As I said before you can't just have mindless allegiance to meaningless numbers on a page. You HAVE to know what those numbers mean and why those conventions are in place if you want to have any hope of understanding when and why they are important as well as in what cases they will not be as important.

In this case what's the point of wanting a defensive tackle to be taller if he's got a big wing span and is easily as strong at 285 lbs as other guys that are 305 or 315 lbs? At that point you've got allegiance to a number on a page that bears no value on the football field.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ah I forgot about John Randle!

Dominant players, Randle and Kyle Williams...and not really significantly bigger than Aaron Donald.

24. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd care more about his potential to develop into a poor man's Warren Sapp than his height or weight. If Sapp could enter the NFL at 6'1.5, 285 and become a Hall of Famer, I'd have to think Donald could have a productive career as a similar style interior pressure player.

25. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Watched Hageman today. Looks as advertised, top of 2nd round, maybe late 1st.

26. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    And Sam Mills was a great MLB at 5-9. If John Randle was at 6-1 "not really significantly bigger" than Donald at "6-0", maybe we should start looking at some MLB prospects at 5-8, or to be realistic about it as per the Randle/Donald comparison, 5-7. What the heck, at that size they'll be closer to the ground to chase scat backs, right?

This isn't about what is possible, of course it's possible that a great college player like Donald can make it in the NFL at DT. It's about lack of size being a downside complication, and a risk. If you asked yourself the size question about Russell Wilson you considered the case of Drew Brees. If you ask yourself about Donald you consider the cases of Atkins and Patterson. That's not rocket science, that's simple logic for anyone who follows the sport.

The issue is whether or not a lack of size could put Donald at a competitive disadvantage in the NFL, and whether or not that will effect his draft status. Of course it could, and that's a negative factor that most scouts and GMs do not like. As stellar a college player as Donald has been, award winner supreme, I'll be shocked if he's drafted before Auburn's Greg Robinson- want to guess why?

There is a very real chance that size will be a problem for Donald in the NFL. Whether he can overcome it or not, that remains to be seen, but the bottom line is that it's a red flag to NFL scouts. Lets face it, he makes Sam Brenner look big. As one scout put it online, this issue is going to be teams running right at a smaller player and how he handles it. He certainly looks closer to 5-11 than 6-0 to me, and I wonder how much more good weight he can put on that small frame, he already looks like an overstuffed sausage. Excellent college player, probably a second round pick or late first round at best. And that's for one reason and one reason only, his lack of size.

27. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Jim, you are making a pointless argument because Doland is already ranked by scouts as the 4th best DT in the draft behind Louis Nix (6-2), Hageman (6-6) and Will Sutton (6-0). .

28. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    That's not the point at all, I'm surprised at your comment. The point is to what extent Donald's size, or lack thereof, will limit his draft status and performance in the NFL. Since he won every major award that a college DT could win and was a unanimous All- American, why is he rated only the 4th best DT in the draft? Did Nix, Hageman or Sutton outplay him this year? What national awards did they win as compared to Donald? If you want to list them, that would be great. Why do most rate him as a second round pick? Maybe that's what you should be asking yourself, and then my argument might seem a little less pointless to you.

Donald looks closer to 5-11 than 6-0 to me, and to me that's a concern- if he comes in at 5-10 and change that will be interesting. If you think that I'm quibbling about an inch, when 6-0 is pretty darned short to begin with, that's fine. My concern is that he will be prone to being engulfed in the NFL at that size, and that possibility is a risk and a red flag. Great college player, but I see a second round pick in him. If you disagree, that's fine. And if you truly think that Donald is on the same level of a Greg Robinson as an NFL draft prospect, let's just disagree and move on.

ps small draft prospects do go high, case in point Ernie Sims went top 10 several years back. You never know where a great, undersized college player like Donald will go. I like Donald quite a bit- It's hard to watch him play and not like him, he's that good. But nonetheless, because of his size, I see second round there. Just my opinion.

29. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    As far as draft status, the size is already taken into account. He is projected as a mid 2nd rounder. That size risk you are talking about is already built into that ranking.

Here is an excerpt from CBS press release by Rob Rang. "CBSSPORTS.COM ALL-AMERICANS: FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE AS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS: DT - Aaron Donald, Sr., Pittsburgh: Generating an eye-popping 26 tackles for loss (including eight sacks) in 2013 make Donald our Defensive Player of the Year, along with winning the Nagurski and Outland Trophies as the nation's dominant defensive lineman. But NFL scouts may not be nearly as excited about his potential as the media, considering Pitt's star defensive tackle's undersized frame. At only 6-foot, 285-pounds, Donald relies more on his burst and quick hands to penetrate rather than power to hold up at the point of attack, making his best fit as a three-technique in the 4-3 alignment. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com"

As far as performance in the NFL, all we can offer at this time is an opinion. Yours is as good as mine. My reasoning is that DTs are easiest to evaluate because they are scheme independent. It's man on man. Donald performed this year better than any other DT in the country.
    If you ask me why he played so well, I think it is because he has power in the legs to generate explosion and sustain strength, and he has a wing span for the swim move. I think all of those translate well. More than that, I think those are rare freakish attributes, to have that power in the lower body with that wings span.

30. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    As to your first paragraph- okay, most of the draft guys agree with me. Thanks, but I already know that, not sure what your point is.

If Donald wasn't built like Cleveland Jr. he's be a top ten pick, it's that simple. He's be an elite prospect. Fantastic college player, maybe he'll be a great pro, who knows? He looks maxed out size wise to me, and as I said height wise my guess is that he's closer to 5-11 than 6-0. I could see him playing some DE as well as DT and the more that I look at him and how puffed up he is the more I think that he could drop 20 lbs and play MLB. The reason that I mentioned that in the first place, other than the size issue, is the speed and quicks that he has at his puffed up size and the way that he knifes into backfields- great quicks, instincts and change of direction. He has some speed.

I wish him well and I hope that he goes as high as he can in the draft, but he's not an elite prospect. He's an elite college football player, and history is littered with elite college players who weren't considered elite draft prospects, for better or worse. What he is, imo, is a damn good college football player, a very good pro prospect and a likely second round pick. Nothing wrong with that.

31. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    OK, now I get your point:

Donald is not an elite prospect because he is 6-0 and he looks to you 5-11, but you agree that he is a mid 2nd round pick. I other words, you do not knock him lower than he is slotted now but you do not give him any more than that, he is slotted jsut right in your opinion.

32. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    No offense, but maybe you should read over a few posts because I think that you got off course. I've been saying the same thing all along- great college player, size challenged, looks like a 2nd rd pick to me, he has some outstanding skills and quicks that make me think that even at his short stature he could pull an Elvis Dumervill and play some DE, and I wondered originally that given his athletic skills and instincts whether or not he could drop 15 lbs (maybe even a little more because he looks so puffed up, maxed out size-wise to me) and play ILB. He has some speed, certainly knows how to knife into gaps with instinct, and he's quick. That's all I'm saying. Never has it been a revelation that Donald is by and large considered a 2nd round prospect- iirc you and others are of the belief that due to his outstanding play in college and all the college awards that he won this year he's a legit 1st round prospect.

I just respectfully disagree with that, and as to you in particular I certainly don't agree that he's an NFL prospect in the same elite group as Auburn LT Greg Robinson. Not even close. Robinson is a physical beast with outstanding size and athleticism, Donald is not. Donald just lacks size, plain and simple.

33. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I agree with that assessment of the disagreement.

jim1 likes this.
  34. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    No problems, I enjoy reading your posts.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ahead of Sutton on many boards, I hear...though consistently behind Nix and Hageman. I believe ESPN's latest rankings have Donald as the 31st best player in the country.

36. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I see Jernigan as #7 overall on ESPN, and then Nix and Hageman in top 32.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've seen Jernigan ahead of him on some media boards as well. Not sure any scouts see it that way.

38. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Where was Nix listed at?

I'd dance the Joe Philbin "jig" if Miami came out of this draft with both Nix and Donald.

39. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    RoninFin4 likes this.
  40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Here's another way to go, a recent one I did:

022: CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
    053: ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    086: RB Marion Grice, Arizona State
    117: DT Dominique Easley, Florida