1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright/Fair Use Question

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by GridIronKing34, Jul 23, 2010.

1. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    This fall I am interested in doing a documentary about fantasy football and it's uproar/impact on today's society. I would like to use small clips of top players (not the primary point of interest of said documentary) from NFL footage. However while I believe this is fair use because:

A) I am not using the footage as it was originally valued and am transforming it.

B) The footage is not the primary point of interest/topic.

Does anyone know if I am on the right track here? I do realize that the NFL is very stingy with copyright material so of course I have to attribute them. I just don't think that dealing with the NFL will be easy because they will have no sympathy for my school documentary project.

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    why don't you ask your adviser or professor?

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  3. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    School isn't in session yet... I am just "ahead of the game" so to speak.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Cite or put in "footage curtesy of" watermarks in there?

5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    hmmmmmmmmmmm I don't know of any professors that all book it home during the summer lol. I'm sure there has to be one at random you can ask .

6. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I thought I'd try here too... It's not something I have to know right away... :lol:

7. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    You aren't profiting off of it and I doubt anyone outside of your school would see it. It seems alright to me but as you said, I'd check with someone who has a definite answer.

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Four factor fair use test. If you want it to be fair use, maximize the factors.

1 helps you here. Plus, since dissemination of facts or info helps the public, it helps when the stuff is not fictional. Documentary for school helps.
    2 is probably the most significant. The more transformative the better. In your case, I think it is very transformative.
    3 is obvious. Shorter the better, and the less significant to your work even better.
    4 Your small usage probably will not diminish the NFL's market at all. You're not even selling anything. Nobody looking for the NFL is going to mistake you as a replacement.

None of the above is legal advice. You're on your own. But like I said, maximize the factors in your favor. This is such a fact based analysis nobody has the answer until it goes into court and is decided. But you're on the right track.