1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR - Tenn.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bpk, Jan 8, 2013.

1. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    From Evan Silva:

Patterson's game tape is nothing short of sensational, and as explained above he dominated games in the SEC even while taking a receiving backseat to Hunter. Watch Patterson work the slant and fade versus Florida. He lit up Missouri and Mississippi State with game-breaking all-purpose plays. Patterson broke off a 45-yard kickoff return against Alabama. On a reverse, Patterson made swiss cheese of the middle of Georgia's defense on a 46-yard end-zone trip.

Based on what I read about Patterson before watching the tape, I expected a raw, unpolished, mistake-prone receiver. A talented project. I did see big-time talent, but I didn't see many mistakes at all.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42536/321/patterson-the-playmaker

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't agree that it looks like he's now going top 11 just b/c Mayock loves the kid's natural ability. He also said, "so darn raw", which typically isn't associated with a top 10ish pick unless it's the Raiders and the player runs a 4.3. There's always a chance Patterson goes in the top 11, but I don't think it "looks" like he's going top 11 by any stretch.

Bpk likes this.
  3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Tavon Austin should qualify as an explosive difference maker, and maybe Marquise Goodwin will prove to be one as well.

4. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I knew Patterson's stock would skyrocket, at this point all I can do is pray his rawness and inexperience in Div I causes him to fall out of the top 10...hopefully some of these QBs step up at the combine and pro days so the QB needy teams picking in the top 10 (browns, bills, jets) pass on CP to take a Glennon/Barkley/Wilson

Bpk likes this.
  5. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I agree with what Mayock said. Regarding how raw a player is, I said the same thing about Jason Pierre Paul because they have talent and it's unquestionable. The issue is that these type of inexperienced players will need to learn better technique at the next level. JPP should have been our pick. Now how someone picks up the game in the NFL as a new DE and how someone does it as a WR might be completely different. It may seem to be slower for WRs generally going by past history. I would hate to miss out on a guy who has that much talent just because he is raw though.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If CP is 205 lbs I'm a lumberjack..

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't have a problem with what Mayock said either. I simply don't agree that his words translate to "probable top 11 pick" is all. Bringing up JPP supports what I said b/c he was dripping in talent and displayed greater man amongst boys potential than Patterson but JPP wasn't drafted until pick 15. I don't think Patterson's talent will push him into the top 10; IMO his talent will entice a team in the 12-18 range to take a chance on a player who's less refined than desired.

8. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :dunno:

[​IMG]

Fin-Omenal and gunn34 like this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    sing it..." I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I chop all day and I sleep all nite, I dress in woman's clothing, and hang around in bars"

alen1, ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :lol:

11. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    To me the chances of him being available at our pick are becoming smaller and that's not because Mayock is in love with his natural ability. The guy is a playmaker and there are teams above us who definitely could use him. The jets and browns come to mind and I think the chargers could be interested as well not to mention someone trading up for him like what the falcons did a few years ago for julio jones. After teams get a closer look at him, I think he pulls away from the rest of the receiver class and becomes the clear cut #1.

12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

[video=youtube;mL7n5mEmXJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7n5mEmXJo[/video]

Xeticus and Bpk like this.
  13. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I agree with this, but I also think that you have to take into account that the majority of his "play making" ability comes when he is either getting the ball off a handoff or is returning kicks. As a receiver, he's just not there yet. The best way I could describe him is that he is special with the ball in his hands, but has a long way to go when the ball isn't in his hands. Having that ability to do damage when you have the ball is great, but you have to get to point B from point A. Getting to point B against NFL coverages is going to be his steepest learning curve. If he gets into a program, works hard, and learns to sell his routes better, not round things off, and not freelance, then his special "ball in hands" skills will come out. If he's a hack of a route runner that cannot beat the jam at the line and is a poor route runner, then he's another Robert Meachem - a bust of a first round pick.

PerfectTeam and Bpk like this.
  14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think he's underrated as a receiver going out and running routes and catching footballs, to be honest.

If you watch his full tape, and I do mean his FULL tape...you will note the following:

1. Play selection. He does not catch screens. Hardly any of his 46 catches for 778 yards were cheap & easy in that manner. Maybe 4 screens for 48 yards, I think. On the other hand, very few of his catches were truly deep ball catches, either. He doesn't have a bunch of deep balls pulling up his averages. He's primarily working routes and catching footballs at the intermediate level.

2. Competition. He's run routes and caught balls against: Johnthan Banks of Mississippi State, Darius Slay of Mississippi State (TD), Branden Smith of Georgia, Sanders Commings of Georgia, Robert Lester of Alabama, David Amerson of North Carolina State (TD), Louschez Purifoy of Florida (TD), Jaylen Watkins of Florida, Jimmy Legree of South Carolina, E.J. Gaines of Missouri and Andre Hal of Vanderbilt. Every single one of those guys will be on an NFL team. Purifoy is expected to be a 1st rounder eventually. Some believe Darius Slay will be even better than Johnthan Banks, and Cordarrelle physically beat him on an attempted jam and then caught the ball in the end zone for a touchdown.

3. Get right down to brass tacks and for a guy that doesn't catch very many deep passes, for him to be averaging 10.5 yards per TARGET on the year...he's not just primarily making his plays on end-arounds, returns or screen passes. They got 10.5 yards on average every time they even looked in his direction. That's an elite number, in case people don't really have a feel for what range that should be for a receiver. This year only Sidney Rice, Pierre Garcon, Dez Bryant, Vincent Jackson, Demaryius Thomas, Lance Moore, Jordy Nelson, Golden Tate and Danario Alexander cracked the 10.0 or better mark...amongst WRs with at least 50 targets. That suggests Patterson is making plays AS A WIDE RECEIVER. And again I'd have to point to the whuppin he put on Louschez Purifoy of Florida, and the work he did against Kentucky, NC State and Troy. He makes plays through the air.

I think with Patterson he does such incredible work with the ball in his hands on the run be it end-arounds, backfield runs or returns...that people forget that even if you stripped all that aside he was actually just a pretty darn good and productive wide receiver this year with elite level yards per target stats.

Ludacris, Boomer, Xeticus and 2 others like this.
  15. KB21

Dec 6, 2007

I've got some screen shots on the play he made against Slay. What he shows on that play is exactly what I want to see. I'll make a post on it just as soon as I figure out how to get the screen shots saved as an actual photo so I can upload it.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What parts of it do you want capped? I can do it pretty easy.

17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Well, for some reason, Microsoft Paint is not on my computer. I was going to past it to that and save it. What I did was pasted the screen shots to a word document, but I haven't been able to transfer that to a jpg file to save in my photos so I can upload to photobucket. I've got about 8 screen shots that show excellent wide receiver technique from Patterson against an NFL caliber corner.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
  19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

His combination of size, speed, strength and ability to run with the ball reminds me of a young Irving Fryar.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's an interesting comparison.

21. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    If we pass on this guy I WILL NEVER FORGIVE IRELAND!

22. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Necroing this thread, hell, we spent 22 pages commenting on it.

Just going to reup this question. After Free Agency, is there still a chance for Cordarelle Patterson to be a Miami Dolphin?

Bpk likes this.
  23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Not likely. But I believe he will be a special player somewhere. Just keep him out of the AFC East please.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    In my opinion, no.

Bpk likes this.
  25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Unfortunately I keep hearing him linked to Buffalo.

26. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Please get off the "Cordarelle Patterson can cut and juke like Tavon Austin" comments, because he cannot. Patterson is excellent at cutting and juking, especially for his size, but you're doing a disservice to Austin and mega pimping and overhyping Patterson when you equate the two in that regard.

I know that you like him, and he is for sure a compelling prospect who can cut and juke like a mamajama for a WR of his size, but few are like Austin in that regard, period. No one I've seen in this draft, and I'd have to do some thinking to come up with any receivers who can cut and juke like Austin in recent years besides Percy Harvin. Patterson has the chops when it comes to cutting and juking, he should be recognized for it, but he is no Tavon Austin in that regard, nor is he what has been described as Tavon Austin but 6 or 7 inches taller. Part of the juking aspect is instant acceleration, and Austin has that and Patterson doesn't- just my opinion of course.

That aside, Patterson to me is indeed a compelling prospect, but maybe the biggest boom or bust one of all. There's something about him that looks either raw, unnatural or a combo of the two, and that hesitance on my part was furthered by watching him in the combine drills- he looked to most unnatural of any WR I saw. I would not be necessarioly disappointed if we drafted Patterson, but for sure concerned- boom or bust all the way, jmo.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    LMFAO.

Kudos for taking a post written 85 days ago and treating it as if I just wrote it today. I mean, that's a pretty impressive commitment to the virtues of trolling.

Oh and also, yeah Cordarrelle Patterson DOES run and cut and accelerate like Tavon Austin. So...yup.

28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

So do I, wich would suck. The only benefit would be one team closer to Lane Johnson.

Bpk likes this.
  29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not one of the important teams, though.

The Chiefs, Eagles, Lions, Cardinals and Chargers are the teams you have to somehow convince they don't need a tackle.

Mile High Fin and Bpk like this.
  30. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I didn't realize that the post was old, had no idea. Patterson is absolutely compelling as a RAC guy, but he does not cut, juke or accelerate like Austin, bottom line. So...nope.

31. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Patterson wasn't a guy spoken about as a top ten pick back in January-February. It behooves Miami to have guys like that rise into the top 10. If the three tackles are gone Tavon Austin could perhaps be gone by 12 as well which is ideal because it would leave Miami with a choice of Rhodes or a trade down for a highly ranked defensive tackle.

Cheer as hard as you can for guys like Patterson and Austin to be gone at 12.

32. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I have a strange feeling SD goes Patterson or Austin, just a hunch.

33. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    This is a logical fallacy

Bpk likes this.
  34. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    And why is that? How would be a logical fallacy if your goal is to have players you are not going to draft go higher, thus allowing the player you actually want to drop down.

35. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Could Patterson freefall? What if we were able to move up to the bottom of the first round (think early 20's) and snag him? Just can't get a draft range for the guy. We wouldn't have taken Tavon Austin in my scenario.

36. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's possible although unlikely. I think Miami is looking at Keenan Allen and Hopkins for that kind of scenario.

37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Just saying.....Tannehill QB/WR with Patterson WR/WildCat QB and Denard Robinson QB/WR/RB could be fun if we had a mad scientist as an OC or if NFL Blitz was real.

38. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Haha, the last set of mad scientists to use the Wildcat here was Dan Henning and Brian Daboll. I really like Cordarelle Patterson in any receiver position on the field. CK noted this before and it's something I strongly believe too; Cordarelle Patterson would be just as awesome in the slot as he is outside.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I doubt Cordarrelle Patterson is a guy they would manipulate their draft to acquire. As for whether he could free fall or not...who knows? He's commonly linked to the Bills. I've heard the Panthers and especially Saints both like him. They pick #14 and #15.

40. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Where do you think Hopkins lands? He fits what Miami looks for in a WR to a T.