1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Corrected] Patriots compensatory picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Mar 22, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wow...the rich get richer

And add in 3 flippin 3rd round picks...

I'd almost think the fix was in.

Anywho, the optimistic side is..their picks from 07-09 now don't have any room on the roster, they either bundle some picks and move up or they will bring 12 players into camp from Draft 2010 on top of the Brian Crable's and McKenzie's and Aldalious Thomas et al.

cobrajet likes this.
  2. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Maybe-

Nevermind:

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    That sounds a bit more accurate, but still surprising.

4. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    This HAS to mean 3 7th rounders. Who did they even lose to get this many picks?

Patriots FAs are like Yankees minor league prospects - they have some crazy mystique around them. Pats get a crazy amount of picks every year.

skippysphins and padre31 like this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It does, 3 7th rd picks and one 6th, it's a deep draft but still better 7th rd picks over 3rd round picks.

Even still, some players will fall through the cracks, if they use all of their picks, that is 12 additional players to find snaps for, to find roster spots for, they will miss on someone.

That and the 08-09 draftees also will be on the chopping block.

Maybe me Phinoma, but I understand now "why" Ireland cherry picks the CFL, they will never have the number of picks that the Patsies have, so they have to find talent from somewhere.

BTW do you recall Phillip Hunt in his time in Cleveland?

6. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    They've discovered the formula for awarding picks or there's direct collusion. How can they by ethical means get so many picks season after season? Smells dirty to me.

cobrajet and Stitches like this.
  7. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Funny how the baseball analogy can be extended with the CFL example. We have to get creative and find other routes of discovering talent since the system does no benefit us as it does NE (much like teams signing international talent to compete with the big market teams signing FAs and expensive draft picks).

And that name doesn't ring a bell. The Browns defense just throws guys in there and they are barely distinguishable from each other over the last few years. (Assuming you meant the football player - if he was a baseball player then I don't recall - I've only been a Tribe fan since 2001.)

padre31 likes this.
  8. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Who did the Patriots lose, though? Four picks is still a lot of picks. They must have lost some significant talent. Why can't I seem to come up with any names?

cobrajet likes this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, and Ireland and Gaines have -0- problem bringing in UDFA's and giving them a legitimate shot to win a roster spot and play.

Some positions don't translate across leagues though, Dimitri Tsoumpas the cat in my avvy has a tough row to hoe to make the jump from CFL oline to NFL oline.

Cool, the guy was a NCAA sack leader in 09, went UDFA, went to Cleveland, didn't play and then wound up in the CFL, he's an interesting speed rusher.

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The NCAA Div 1-A sack leader in 2009 was Von Miller with 17, followed by Brandon Sharpe with 15.

Philip Hunt has never been the NCAA Div 1-A sack leader. He did however finished second to Jerry Hughes in 2008. Hughes had 15 and Hunt had 14.

11. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    The fix is always in for New England. Anyone remember spygate?

A full year before Eric Mangini went public with the claims of spygate, Green Bay complained to the NFL Commish about the exact same thing, but mysteriously it was all swept under the rug and got almost zero press. When spygate was made public a full year later on its second complaint they got a slap on the wrist, nothing more.

They committed corporate fraud, cheated through four solid superbowls, stole millions of dollars of ticket and merchandising revenue away from other teams and STILL - nothing happened to them. Hell; these 4 comp picks shouldn't be surprising at all.

How have they been doing since they got busted for their illegal filming? You don't see any more superbowl appearances do you? This is a real soar spot with me. I hate that freakin' BeliCHEAT so much I'd like to throw him head first into a wood chipper.

Honestly I am surprised that they didn't get more comp picks. As far as coaches go - BeliCHEAT should be arrested for impersonating a good coach. "Best ever" my *ss.......What happened to the "best ever" after they got spy-busted?

(pardon me while I put my veins back in my head)

The only good thing that I can add is that it doesn't look like NYJ or BUFF got any comp picks at all.