1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could Chuck Pagano be a hot commodity elsewhere? - NFL.com

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 20, 2015.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
  2. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Mangini, McDaniels, Shula, and trading one or two draft picks to trade for Payton. These are the names most frequently mentioned as possible candidates as the next head coach of the Dolphins.

If Pagano becomes available after the season, I would take him over any of these other coaches. I love the idea of Payton, but the Dolphins just don't have enough talent on the roster to give up draft picks for him and especially a first round draft pick if that is what the Saints want for him.

So hopefully Pagano being the next HC of the Dolphins isn't just a possibility, I hope it becomes a reality. If not him, I like Hue Jackson and Doug Marrone over Mangini, McDaniels, or Shula.

3. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    What is Pagano's philosophy in regards to coaching?

4. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Prior to becoming the Colts head coach, Pagano was the defensive coordinator for the Ravens.

He has a history of favoring a 3-4 attacking style of defense, but right now the Dolphins don't have the talent on defense to be effective in this type defense. If he were to be the next HC, I think you would see the LB and secondary positions be filled by bigger and faster players in his scheme of defense.

I think with his defensive background, he would prefer to be a run first HC, but the league is now a passing league and with Andrew Luck as his QB in Indy, he has opted to run an offense which has been 65-35% in favor of the pass, prior to Luck being injured this year.

I think if Miller resigned with the Dolphins, he would be ultilized more in the run game than he has been under Philbn and Campbell.

Pagano was ill during his first year as the Colts HC and he missed much of that season. Yet he was able to put together a coaching staff which was able to lead the team into the playoffs, one year after having the worst record in the NFL.

So his ability to put together a quality coaching staff should not be overlooked. Especially when you consider the basically amateur staff Philbin hired during his time as the Dolphins head coach.

Shane Falco likes this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I dont want Pagano, dont think he has the right makeup, thought the colts were dumb to let arians walk but their hands were tied..hes gotta schtick and I believe it gets tuned out..said when arians left bruce would be a star and pagano would eventually get fired..

DolphinGreg likes this.
  6. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Considering that he is a defensive mind, I wonder if he would consider adjusting to a 4-3 defensive coordinator. I now remember who Pagano is now. The question for me is whether he would be allowed to choose his staff similar to the way he did in Indianapolis. Plus can he work with a 4-3 defense or will he try to change the whole defense to fit his view of the 3-4.

I am curious if we were to get him on what his offensive coordinator would be. Despite having Luck previously, will he adjust to what we have here and build from there.

7. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have always believed that the best coaches adapt to the skills of the players on their roster and they don't force the players to play a scheme that doesn't best match their abilities.

Since Pagano has only had one opportunity as an NFL head coach, I have no way of knowing if he is willing to change his coaching philosophy based on the players or not. Hopefully if he were the next HC of the Dolphins, he would be able to work with the players he has next year and if they are more suited to a 4-3 than a 3-4 defense, he would go in that direction. At least until he has the players on the roster better suited to play in a 3-4 defense.

If he ultimately wants to implement a 3-4 defense over the next few years, the draft and free agency could be used to bring in players more suited to this style of defense.

As far as selecting his coaches are concerned. I would imagine that any head coach coming in for next year will have the freedom to hire the coaches he wants to work with on his staff. If that is not the case and instead the FO tells the next HC who his assistants will be, I suspect no quality head coaching candidate will have any interest in taking the job.

8. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I would love to have Arians as the Dolphins HC, but I don't see the Cardinals giving him up.

Unfortunately I just don't see a lot of great candidates for the job from the list I have seen so far. Payton would be my first choice, but not if it means the Dolphins have to give up a first round draft for him.

I like Jackson and Marrone and I would have no problem with either of them getting the job. I obviously like Pagano more than you, but that is just a difference of opinion and I certainly respect your opinion regarding Pagano.

Some people want Shula, McDaniels, or Mangini to be the next HC and I don't want any of these coaches to be the next head coach.
    Yet as I have stated on numerous occasions, I don't have a choice in this matter since I am merely a fan and not the owner. So all I hope is that the next head coach is far better than all the coaches who have come and gone since Shula Was replaced.

9. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Can someone please enlighten me as to why Miami would want Pagano?

It seems like Miami would pass on him in a heartbeat.

(1) There are scheme issues with Suh in place

(2) Indy's defense isn't very good

(3) Pagano was only in Baltimore for 1 season as DC and had Hall of Fame talent at all 3 levels while there (Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, Reed)

(4) The Colts defense has consistently gotten worse under Pagano having ranked 7th, 13th, 22nd, and 29th under his leadership.

You can count me amongst those who believe most of the great coaching talent left with Bruce Arians.

NorFlaFin likes this.
  10. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I don't want Pagano.

11. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    If we could get both Pagano brothers in either role (HC or DC), in a package deal, i'd be ok with that.

12. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Quality observation that will lost on the fanboys.