1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could Matt Roth be moved to be our ILB ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fastball83, Jan 22, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fastball83

fastball83 Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Hello,

Roth had a good season IMO but we need more pass rush from our second OLB with porter on the other side, we need a tackling machine inside along crowder, could rtoh be moved ILB on your opinion ?

This guy is a non stop motor, he tackle very correctly IMO and his height and weight could be very solid inside, and we could use him for bliztz from inside too.

Opinion ?

HULKFish likes this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

From what I understand Crowder won't be back.

They've signed Cameron Wake and there's still the rest of FA and the Draft to see what they come up with at LBer.

I don't know how well Roth would do inside. I think Cameron Wake will be trying to replace his position on the outside. Maybe they try him inside but I don't know how well he did in coverage. He did really awesome against the run, though.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    It's worth a try and I think he probably will get the opportunity to play some ILB. Once again, I think his T-Rex arms could hurt him at the this position when we try to use him in a blitz.

4. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    If he's a baller, he will play where ever they want him. It would be easier for him to learn 1 position and excel at it.

HULKFish likes this.
  5. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I don't think he's nimble enough to go side to side, read and react and most importantly, drop back into coverage. IMO....and who in the hell is he going to cover with those stubby, little arms?

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  6. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I think he will be traded

7. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I don't see him being traded. I think he'll have a good offseason and lose a little weight. I see him and Wake battling for that spot and Roth retaining his position. He has a good motor and showed some signs of being a good player at the position. IMO I don't think he gets enough credit. He went into last season as a DE and was converted successfully enough at OLB to make the coaching staff forget all about the possibility of Holliday going outside. Now, he has a whole offseason to refine his skills and shed the 10 pounds to get down to position size and gain a little burst. That being said though if Wake or another player comes in and displays a quick learning set and domination at the position then Roth will either be an admirable backup or possible move inside where he has played in high school I think.

8. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    He's great at setting the edge where he is now. I'm sure, if we decide to keep him, we will use him primarily on run downs and certain packages. IMO.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  9. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Not only no but........HELL NO! :up:

10. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Agree with you mostly.

Roth never seems to get credit he's due.
    This guy made an immediate impact his rookie season in fact in defending the run. THey had so much confidence in him that he became a staple in short yardage Defense packages where he did really well.

This was his first year in transition to OLB and considering such he did very well IMO. Again, he played very well in run support. His weakness does seem to be that he's too basic in his pass rush. Hasn't the quickness or developed an arsenal of moves effective enough to overcome the short arms and lack of top edge speed. Still, IMO Roth is a top talent against the run.
    Seeing that, I don't think Roth ends up a backup even if Wake impresses.
    I see Roth and Wake being a situational tandem at the spot.

Roth playing 1st, 2nd and short yardage downs while Wake would be brought in for 3rd and passing packages.
    Again, this scenario is IF Wake shows anything.

VanDolPhan and HULKFish like this.
  11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Agreed. Roth just wouldn't make a good fit at ILB. Too slow.

Sceeto likes this.
  12. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    Matt Roth is a situational Pass Rusher and an anti-Run tackler. I don't want him in pass coverage as he is a liability.

13. I am Bane

I am Bane BAKLAVA!!!

Jan 21, 2009
    Da Ville
    there are many reasons is say know to this transition for matt roth:

SPEED
    instinctual reads
    taking propper angles
    dropping back into coverage
    overall knowledge since he has never palyed ILB before, it is a very hard position to transition into, especially if your trying to do so in the NFL and its speed

14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The guy turns wider than a semi-truck. No please.

15. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    Im not sure where I stand with Roth. He seems better on the outside since he can be a decent pass rusher and also good when it comes to stopping the run from getting outside.

16. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Yeah, don't think he gets traded and he's too stiff for ILB.

17. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    We have changed Roth's position so much in recent years, that I think we should just let him play OLB, and he was very productive their this season even if his stats didn't show it.