1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could This "Bullying" Situation Lead to a More Productive Unit?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pariah, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    So I am not taking a side on this debacle, I am just going to extrapolate my teaching in an inner-city school, to this possible bullying incident, and explain why this actually might turn out to be a stronger unit WITHOUT Incognito around.

When you have a bully in the room, and part of the equation, most of the actions are subtle and not the types of bullying you see on Lifetime. Bullies have reputations, so all they need to do is look at someone, or say something quick in passing, and it can work as intimidation. Bullies force people to do things and act certain ways, simply with their reputation.

Most would think that when you have a bully around, others would act uncomfortable, or work to "fight back," against the bullying - but this is highly untrue. It is exactly the opposite - when bullies are part of a larger group, the group conforms to the way of the bully. Even the bullied will act like the bullies friend to try and impress and get on his good side. It will also promote a tense feeling in the group, where others try and show off their "toughness" around the bully - acting outside their normal behavior, and even becoming "temporary" bullies themselves. This leads to low-productivity, bad attitudes, low-morale, and negativity as a whole. As a leader, it can be hard to detect, and in many occasions, hard to act on it because they won't snitch, and even deny/defend keeping up a reputation. Remember, bullies are often "Alpha" personalities, so they appear to be leaders, and others do follow.

Now from the outside no one would notice, and if you throw in an inner-city culture to the mix, no one will snitch either, because they just don't do that in this culture. I can extrapolate to an NFL locker room, because they also have a "no snitch" culture, and multiple players come from an inner-city or low-income background where this culture is part of everyday life.

Now, remove the bully from the equation:

The group becomes much more cohesive (I see this all the time working and coaching at my job). The other individuals can go back to being their natural selves, without the tenseness. There is a general ease in the group, and they are more apt to show unity in a positive way, willing to help each other, rather than isolate and become defensive. You can just feel the vibe in the room has changed. Ultimately, productivity goes up, morale is raised, and it is just a more positive atmosphere.

Now I am not saying this is the case for Richie and the Dolphins' locker room, I am just throwing this out there as a possibility of how this might turn into something that is a positive for this unit/team. If we do see a stronger unit develop up front, maybe the removal of a supposed "bully" was part of the solution.

I am just mad I have to change my avi…:pity:

PhinsRock, finyank13, Kucha and 3 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think you are spot on.

This would be incredibly refreshing. We need a cohesive locker room... and a few more wins.

Pariah likes this.
  3. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Great points! I do have to wonder what Turner's role, if any, has been in all this.

Pariah likes this.
  4. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    If anyone would have been able to pick up on it, it should have been him, seeing as he would have the most exposure to the situation. If this does pan out to be a situation where Richie was being a punk, if anyone is fired he should be the first to go. I would love to hear him speak on the culture of the group. Although we would never get the "real" info. I also bet, if this did happen, he would be afraid of losing Incognito, given how bad the line was performing. But, who knows, he may have promoted a culture that allowed this sort of behavior.

Again, I am just speculating.

5. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Pariah - a great post and my experience too. Some of the other posts have us losing Martin and the place falling apart. My experience says that people try harder with the victims of bullying after. A lot more support and empathy once the root has been removed. If I was in charge I'd be calling Martin and his people on a daily basis and updating them of everything happening. Making sure that he hears the truth straight.

Pariah likes this.
  6. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I don't know if you're right or not about Incognito possibly being the school bully in all of this, and the removal of him then curing all....but I sure hope you are, we need something good to come out of this debacle!

Pariah likes this.
  7. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    no, its going to lead to a lot of people getting fired.

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    The biggest thing it leads to is forcing Sherman and turner to finally adjust. For the first time this season the offensive line will have to really change

9. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    I sure hope so. Worries me that Tampa Bay starts playing like champs the week before we play 'em.

Pariah likes this.
  10. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Blowing a 21 pt lead is very unchamplike

finyank13 and unifiedtheory like this.
  11. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    This would somewhat explain why the Oline has played like crap for a few years, no matter who is lining up.

I hope you are right.

Pariah likes this.
  12. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I could completely see this happening.

First off, I never really thought Incognito was anything more than slightly above average, if that.

Second, I believe there's a good chance he made more than just Jon Martin uncomfortable in practice, in the lockeroom, filmroom, sideline, etc. Heck, he might've even gotten in the way of coaches and development. Sure, there's probably a guy like this to a lesser extent in every teams locker room. Doesn't mean I don't think those guys are detriments as well. Incognito was a loudmouth annoyance who probably made others feel uncomfortable to speak up, mess up, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Jerry, Garner, and maybe even Dallas Thomas begin to develop and look better.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Agreed. Though you could say this about most any locker room cancer.

14. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    finding players who wouldnt have put up with this shyt in the first place will lead to a more productive unit. my biggest take from this entire ordeal is that we have no leaders on this team, including coaching.

15. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    This would make me feel better if The Phins haven't been giving up the big lead.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i think his role in this should be more discussed, he's with the guys in every rep in practice and drills, he knows how his guys treat each other..

17. sloth

sloth New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    agree with no leaders. Ireland should be fired. He is totally inept in evaluating talent. I think Philbin could be a good coach if he has good players.

18. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I understand your point, but you still have to have durable, talented players.

Losing Martin and Cogs means we're depending on older players at both tackle positions in McKinnie and Clabo, and a backup at LG in Garner who has a history of injury and not being very durable, or good...

19. sloth

sloth New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    The reason the Dolphins have no good backups, another reason Ireland should Go. 4 years to late.

20. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Having that crude, nasty, physical guy on the OL serves its purpose.
    You know like Heller or Gogan.

21. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Knowing what we do know, isn't it obvious why the line sucked so bad? The left guard was bullying the left tackle.

I don't think the Phins should make too many drop back deep routes where the line has to give him a lot of time but once Cogs got hurt on Thursday the line played pretty well. I think with the emergence of Lamar Miller we could see some good things from this squad.

Also scandals like this could make the locker room a closer unit.

PhinsRock, Pariah and finyank13 like this.
  22. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I don't think any amount of "bullying" should lead to their OL performance. What's Clabo's excuse?

23. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I think Richie was trying to be a leader for the OL but the way he knew how to lead was to get in people's face and "bully" them much like a drill sergeant in every movie you've ever seen about the military. This could also explain why Turner was accepting of RI's behavior, because it conformed to his experience as a marine as well.

Pariah likes this.
  24. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Just a short answer to that. I hope so. I hope folks can focus on their jobs and move forward.

Pariah likes this.
  25. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Best performance of the year without big weirdo in the fold...........richie even left with an injury last week for most of the game.

Outlook: Good............. if your not wrapped up in the media fiasco, that is.

26. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Not decided if I want Martin back or not, but I definitely want Turner fired no matter what. If not related to his ignorance of all this, just for the incredibly poor performance of the OL this season and Turner's inability to develop young players like Martin and Dallas Thomas.

Hope you are right about this, believe we very well could see some improvement on the OL now, just like when Incognito went out vs. the Bengals.