Could we lose Mike Sherman to another team in the offseason?

40 replies

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporterOP
Dec 23, 2012, 06:34 PM

I wouldn't call it more likely than not, but I think there's a not-insignificant chance that Mike Sherman gets a Head Coaching job somewhere.

I think he has very much improved his profile in the league this year. There's likely to be a fair amount of openings, and every year there are more dubious hirings that Sherman. He was a finalist for the Buccaneers job last year, I think is pretty well respected in the league, and got fired from an otherwise reasonably successful Green Bay gig mostly for the job he did as a GM.

His offense in Miami has not been particularly prolific, but I think he's done a good job managing issues that would have ruined a bad offensive coordinator. He(or they) have held things together at times with duct-tape and savvy. They've managed to put together a running-game by altering the play-book, managed to be a very good red zone offense despite no actual real reason for that to be the case, and have put together a pretty good year from a quarterback who is still a work in progress.

Personally I don't know if I would be in love with the idea of MY team hiring Mike Sherman for a variety of reasons, probably most notably him coming off as a bit of a cloaca, but I think it's a bit of an under-reported possibility.

2socks2socksForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 06:36 PM

It really depends if you view Mike Sherman leaving as a Loss. Personally I would be upset because we now have built 1 yr of chemistry and knowledge of what players can and can not do well. loosing him would be a set back IMO.

"Disgustipate wrote:

I wouldn't call it more likely than not, but I think there's a not-insignificant chance that Mike Sherman gets a Head Coaching job somewhere.

I think he has very much improved his profile in the league this year. There's likely to be a fair amount of openings, and every year there are more dubious hirings that Sherman. He was a finalist for the Buccaneers job last year, I think is pretty well respected in the league, and got fired from an otherwise reasonably successful Green Bay gig mostly for the job he did as a GM.

His offense in Miami has not been particularly prolific, but I think he's done a good job managing issues that would have ruined a bad offensive coordinator. He(or they) have held things together at times with duct-tape and savvy. They've managed to put together a running-game by altering the play-book, managed to be a very good red zone offense despite no actual real reason for that to be the case, and have put together a pretty good year from a quarterback who is still a work in progress.

Personally I don't know if I would be in love with the idea of MY team hiring Mike Sherman for a variety of reasons, probably most notably him coming off as a bit of a cloaca, but I think it's a bit of an under-reported possibility.

Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing
In Our Business there is no second place
Either your first or your last

Vince Lombardi

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Dec 23, 2012, 06:37 PM

"2socks wrote:

It really depends if you view Mike Sherman leaving as a Loss.

I think we could do better, but we could do worse too.

2socks2socksForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 06:41 PM

small change on my original post. Your response is exactly what I was eluding to. His loss would be a set back. But, it could also be over come. How easy that is is debatable. I would give Sherman a 6 or 7 as a coordinator. Don't know how much he is or is not involved with in practice and film.

"Disgustipate wrote:

I think we could do better, but we could do worse too.

Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing
In Our Business there is no second place
Either your first or your last

Vince Lombardi

2socks2socksForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 06:47 PM

I am conservative by nature so I am not one to like change. I have seen a great amount of progress in the last several weeks from Tanne so I am optimistic about the future. I was a little down on him for a few weeks because he was playing like **** and there were some games that we should have, and would have won had he played better.

We have a decent roster at this point. We have losses to Buffalo(5), NYJ(3), Indy(3) and Arizona(3). Change a couple key plays in these extremely close games and we are looking a whole lot different, sitting at 11-4. Maybe not elite, but definitely in the playoffs.

Next year is going to be very interesting.

Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing
In Our Business there is no second place
Either your first or your last

Vince Lombardi

BlameItOnTheHenneBlameItOnTheHenneForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 06:51 PM

I would like some stability. Hopefully he stays.

Serpico JonesSerpico JonesForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 07:01 PM

He's too old to be a head coach. Dude is pushing 60.

Dolfan330Dolfan330New Member
Dec 23, 2012, 07:05 PM

"Serpico Jones wrote:

He's too old to be a head coach. Dude is pushing 60.

Tom Coughlin is at least 150.

Release the Kraken!

BlameItOnTheHenneBlameItOnTheHenneForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 07:19 PM

"Dolfan330 wrote:

Tom Coughlin is at least 150.

Pete Carroll is 61

Serpico JonesSerpico JonesForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 07:21 PM

"Dolfan330 wrote:

Tom Coughlin is at least 150.

He's been with the Giants a long time.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Dec 23, 2012, 07:49 PM

I don't see where he gets a HC gig in the NFL though. Lets see... where could the openings be?

San Diego
Arizona
Dallas
Philadelphia
Kansas City
Cleveland
NY Jets?? maybe
Tennessee?? maybe
Chicago?? maybe

potentials for Sherman would be Arizona and KC IMO. Both teams need quarterbacks. Both teams are going to have a hard time finding one. The high profile jobs I don't think Sherman qualifies for as a name big enough to satisfy the masses. SD would look at Reid. Dallas? I don't see Sherman taking that mess on. Philly? Rumored to be going after Chip Kelly. Cleveland? I'd think their new owner wants to make a splash. Sherman's not it. IMO, Sherman should stay where he is because I think he knows he's on the verge of something special with Tannehill. And a chance at a bigger job down the road. The maybes listed above are maybe in terms of firing their coach, not maybe in terms of going after Sherman. He wouldn't go to the Jets because they are a rival... and a mess. Tennessee might not be a bad choice. Chicago? I dunno. you think he'd want Cutler/Marshall? I doubt it.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 08:00 PM

"Paul 13 wrote:

Cleveland? I'd think their new owner wants to make a splash. Sherman's not it.

Sherman would be a good fit in Cleveland, IMO. And I haven't seen any indication that Jimmy Haslam wants a splash HC hire. We don't even know if he wants to get rid of Shurmur.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

2socks2socksForum Veteran
Dec 23, 2012, 08:03 PM

besides Sherman has already been offered the head coaching job by Jeff Ireland if Philbin doesn't work out:shifty:

Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing
In Our Business there is no second place
Either your first or your last

Vince Lombardi

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Dec 23, 2012, 08:11 PM

"Paul 13 wrote:

I don't see where he gets a HC gig in the NFL though. Lets see... where could the openings be?

San Diego
Arizona
Dallas
Philadelphia
Kansas City
Cleveland
NY Jets?? maybe
Tennessee?? maybe
Chicago?? maybe

I think there's potentially a lot more than that. Buffalo, Oakland, Jacksonville, hell, maybe even Detroit too.

There are a lot more jobs than high profile coaching candidates, and I think Sherman becomes an option outside of that first tier.

AquafinAquafinNew Member
Dec 24, 2012, 10:54 PM

how in hell can anyone say losing Sherman would set us back his play calling was atrocious at the beging of the season .

i will agree that we have had some bad coaches and assistant coaches but i dont beleive losing Sherman will automatically set us back if we continue to get good players .

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Dec 24, 2012, 11:19 PM

Would prefer to keep him for at least 2 yrs as the combo works well for Tannehill.

Imo 3 yrs into the league he should have a good idea how to play Qb in the league so the offense is not as important as it is in those first couple of years.

IMO this is why Nacho failing in NY is so ominious for that franchise, he's been in the league for a long time now and Sparano could even make Henne look decent.

Anyone know if Alex Smith is on a 1 yr deal?

Suspect he and MMoore will be the to hot FA Qb's this offseason as the draft looks a bit bleak for Qb's

PandarillaPandarillaForum Veteran
Dec 24, 2012, 11:34 PM

I hope he stays at least one more year. Losing him right now might be unsettling.

I mean, the experience both he and Philbin have together in Green Bay is invaluable, not to mention his relationship with Tanne. I hope they stay together...

maynardmaynardNew Member
Dec 24, 2012, 11:36 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Would prefer to keep him for at least 2 yrs as the combo works well for Tannehill.

Imo 3 yrs into the league he should have a good idea how to play Qb in the league so the offense is not as important as it is in those first couple of years.

IMO this is why Nacho failing in NY is so ominious for that franchise, he's been in the league for a long time now and Sparano could even make Henne look decent.

Anyone know if Alex Smith is on a 1 yr deal?

Suspect he and MMoore will be the to hot FA Qb's this offseason as the draft looks a bit bleak for Qb's

As a Dolphins fan, it's nice to not have to be concerned with that this year.

It's also possible that Sherm is just happy where he is in S FL, coaching with his buddy and teaching Tanny

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Dec 24, 2012, 11:39 PM

I'm sure the guy had something to do with bringing the Qb here, don't think he's gonna leave him at this point.

UAuab_phinNew Member
Dec 24, 2012, 11:39 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Would prefer to keep him for at least 2 yrs as the combo works well for Tannehill.

Imo 3 yrs into the league he should have a good idea how to play Qb in the league so the offense is not as important as it is in those first couple of years.

IMO this is why Nacho failing in NY is so ominious for that franchise, he's been in the league for a long time now and Sparano could even make Henne look decent.

Anyone know if Alex Smith is on a 1 yr deal?

Suspect he and MMoore will be the to hot FA Qb's this offseason as the draft looks a bit bleak for Qb's

Alex Smith signed a 3 year deal, but I think can be released after this one without much cap hit because I think he's been paid his garunteed money. Either way suspect that he and Moore will be starting on new teams next year.

maynardmaynardNew Member
Dec 25, 2012, 12:15 AM

"djphinfan wrote:

I'm sure the guy had something to do with bringing the Qb here, don't think he's gonna leave him at this point.

I hope so. Philbin is getting into a groove. He will have a full season of player knowledge and film, going over all the details of what went right and wrong. He will form a plan to evolve the offense, like he did in Green Bay, improving the run game by focusing on spacing of the fullback and cut blocking, etc. (from an article that Boomer posted a while ago)

The results will be better if Sherman remains

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD

Alex44Alex44New Member
Dec 25, 2012, 12:37 AM

Honestly I have to ask myself if Sherman wants to be a HC again. He's done it at all levels. He's been successful and he's been fired. He's getting up there in age and you'd have to think he likes his job now around old colleagues building an offense around a young QB he (most likely) helped choose.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

ALalen1New Member
Dec 25, 2012, 01:31 AM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I think we could do better, but we could do worse too.

You know how I feel about it. Wrote about it in the off-season. I think they can do better but change might not be the right thing right now.

WhiteIbanezWhiteIbanezNew Member
Dec 25, 2012, 02:47 AM

"alen1 wrote:

You know how I feel about it. Wrote about it in the off-season. I think they can do better but change might not be the right thing right now.

I'm not sure how I feel about Sherman dialing up Tannehill running plays. They work and our kid has good feet. Just scary stuff.

totototoSupporter
Dec 25, 2012, 09:57 AM

Norv Turner should be available... :wink2: