1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cult of $cientology Loses Battle VS First Amendment

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Phinz420, May 15, 2008.

1. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    *Edit- Oops, Here is the Link Thanks Muck =p
    Trying to use the local government in Clearwater to destroy the rights granted in the First Amendment...So shameful.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    That is pretty shameful. At least sue the people for defamation. That at least sends the message that they could be lying about their 'church'. By doing this they give credence to the message of the protestors.

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Do we know that the 34 merchants and 2 residents were Scientologists? Seems a bit presumptuous (without a link).

Could it be that they simply don't like these kids driving away business?

4. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I was a pastor in Clearwater, Florida from 1984 until 1987 during the early days of scientology's reign there. It has been an unhappy "marriage" between the city, its merchants, and the Hubbardites from day one. As a Christian, I have no use for those folks, but as an American, I defend their right to be. I applaud the city of Clearwater for supporting the same rights for others.

5. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I am baffled as to how that happened.

It is an opinion article from the Tampabay.com St Petersburg Times

I first found out about this on an activist site called Enturbulation, where many former Scientologists mingle around with members of Anonymous & other anti-Scientology critics. They apparently managed to out many of these people on the list with very little trouble.

http://forums.enturbulation.org/15-breaking-news/anonymous-stifles-clearwater-businesses-13738/

6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I was treated by one of the doctors on that list a few years ago. He tried to introduce Scientology into my treatment, even asserting that my problems were the result of subconscious manifestations of childhood injuries I'd long forgotten about.

This doctor also did the same thing to other patients I know.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yet, another hypocrisy of the Scientologists. They lambaste psychiatry, yet try to do many of the same things, only in a bastardized context. I swear, the spin machine that they have is incredible. They even found a way to dismiss Hubbard's son saying good ole L. Ron created the religion to make money.

8. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Scientology's grip hurts downtown Clearwater
    Enlightening response to the cult's claim of people expressing their right to free speech hurting Clearwater business. It's really quite baffling how they have managed to turn a once prosperous downtown area into a dust bowl.

9. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007

It was a well known game in the Science Fiction writer's community in the '30s to come up with make believe religions for the purposes of tax exemptions and the like. L. Ron was the only one who went through with it.

10. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

so, is Scientologie considered a cult or a true religion?

11. Ohiophinphan

Who are you asking?

My personal take is initially it was a pop alternative to phsychiatry then it has blossomed into where it now calls itself a religion. However my calling myself a golfer doesn't make Tiger lose any sleep.

The popular understanding of the word "cult" suggests, imo, an evil motive and there you would have folks who would argue that scientology is just that. Others suggest it is what it claims to be, a helpful alternative to drugs.

Having read their stuff and watched their history up close when I was in Clearwater, I lean towards the former. Cruise's attack on post partum and the groups' diligent hunt for "stars" touch my inner cynic. The structure of the inner circle, the money involved and Hubbard's personal history are huge stumbling blocks for me to take them as a serious religion.

It is possible, however, you will see the group morph into something more like a traditional religion in upcoming years. I expect they will ultimately annouce that L. Ron Hubbard is/was god even if he didn't know it.

Mormonism, in its early days, did some outragous things before it settled into much of what it looks like today. I still reject their claim to be "Christian" but would acknowledge them as a world religion on a par with other faith systems. If one follows their history or those of Christian Science and compares them to scientology you could see some similarities.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think it is time to draw a line in the sand. I'm truly sick and tired of being expected to respect anything, people want to call a religion. Namely cults. Religious cults are very sinister in nature, and Scientology is no exception. Religious cults always have a leader with ulterior motives and are awash in secrecy. Scientology? Check and check. They are about money, nothing else, and their unbending stance on psychology is going to hurt many people. It doesn't stop with them either. Jehovah Witnesses are just as bad. I've never met a single Witness, who was a mentally balanced human being. These are real problems in our society. But just as not every emotion we feel is valid, not every "religion" is valid. I swear, sometimes I feel like it is time to medicate the masses...:pity:

13. DOLPHAN1

:lol:

it was a question in general. i know very little about the organization itself except for the L.Ron Hubbard - Dianetics commercials of the '80s and what is happening today with Tom Cruise. i have no idea if they are even being taken seriously in any circles, religious, social, legal...

14. Ohiophinphan

You state your position very subtly, what do you really think?

15. DOLPHAN1

all that and a smart *** too....:lol:

gafinfan likes this.
  16. Ohiophinphan

I answered the question from the point of view of chaplain to this board. I am certainly not the only "expert" in religious matters, maybe not even the most knowledgable on certain topics, but I felt it appropriate for me to try and give a balanced answer.

Frankly Fin D's position is probably more the norm than folks sometimes think. They have not been viewed seriously in religious or medical circles except perhaps as a threat to people's faith and mental health. They have been serious opponents when it comes to the legal system especially in zealously defending their right to secrecy, religious freedom, and free speech. I believe they still refuse to open their financial books to anyone. It is for those reasons that their efforts to block others are viewed as ironic at best and cynical at worst.

17. Ohiophinphan

Thank you, sarcasm was my first language!

gafinfan and Celtkin like this.
  18. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Here is some info on the Sea Org, one of the aspects of Scientology that is nearly unbelievable.
    Here are just a few aspects of Sea Org life, taken from hundreds of personal testimonials from ex-Sea Org members.

There you have it, you sign a 1 Billion year contract to be their slave. The Sea Org epitomizes everything wrong with this cult, and IMO they need to be stopped.

How awesome would it be to see this family destroying, pyramid scheming cult lose it's tax-exempt status? Talk about chopping off one of the heads of the Hydra....

Fin D likes this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Well, sir, I am not a cult, therefore, I'm an open book.:lol:

Even though, I'm an Atheist, it chaps my behind to no end when people are taken advantage of, by a "faith". I understand people need hope and answers, but those things should actually mean something and not just "hope" and "answers" as nebulous concepts. Our brains are the single most valuable resource on this planet, and for people to be convinced to shut them off, is a travesty. I live by only two rules: 1. Treat people the way you want to be treated. 2. Consenting adults can do whatever they want as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. Scientology and Jehovah Witnesses break both. First of all, neither wants anyone knocking on their door telling them about their religion or telling them their course for mental health is evil. Secondly, trying to ban psychiatry will hurt people who need it, or discouraging people from getting an education will hurt even more people.

As a side note, I think another way to tell if it's a cult is if the "religion" has no moderates. Cults only have 100% full-on, all the way in, believers.

DOLPHAN1, Ohiophinphan and Phinz420 like this.
  20. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    [​IMG]

Also, here is an interesting interview video with some Scilons.

[youtube]VrWb8dHJj44[/youtube]

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  21. Ohiophinphan

I hope you realize that I was just pulling your chain. Actually your position is cogent and well formed! I just liked funning with you.

Fin D likes this.
  22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes I do. However, I chose to use it as an excuse to further my hate filled rant. I used you to further my agenda.:lol:

gafinfan likes this.
  23. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Head of NYC Scientologists, Reverand John Carmichael melts down on camera after stalking protesters for hours & then being dealt with by police.

This is supposed to be the top $cilon spiritual leader in NYC, who resorts to childish verbal attacks against a protester.

[youtube]kbPycLmUrss[/youtube]

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  24. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    How to become a Cult Leader!

Everyone wants to become a Cult leader, watch this video and learn the tricks employed by Scientology and become a god!
    :hi5::hi5::hi5::hi5::hi5:
    [youtube]mnNSe5XYp6E[/youtube]

25. Ohiophinphan

Glad I could help! :up: :wink2: