1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutler/Plummer Article

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by anlgp, Mar 18, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11510371

Found it by looking at this article: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Crowell_visits_Bills_about_return.html which debates a "Donovan McNabb for Jay Cutler" theory... which is a whole other debate in itself.

gafinfan likes this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I hate articles like these that place winning and losing solely on one player's shoulders. It's like the "all Vince Young does is win" argument again.

Last I checked, Denver's defense was one of the worst in the league while their offense was one of the best.

steveincolorado likes this.
  3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I understand where you're coming from but think of it this way.

It's that many times that when it came down to it Plummer was able to pull the trigger and get wins when he had to do it.

What about Cutler?

Pilots get paid lots of money not only to fly planes but to execute a safe landing if it is necessary. Cutler should not only get paid money to be a QB but to be able to take the games upon his shoulders if the D doesn't step up and do their jobs.

I agree he could use more help out there in Denver but he should be able to win more for being a "franchise QB".

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Plummer was never clutch, top flight, elite or any other sort of high-praise adjective we apply to certain players. He was merely okay most of the time, frustrating at others. Cutler originally took over the starting job because Plummer kept making mistakes at the worst time. He was costing his team games, not winning them.

Again: Denver's offense with Cutler was the #2 best offense in the NFL last season. This was with a rookie receiver on one side, a fourth round pick on the other, and a stable of running backs who kept getting season-ending injuries every week.

Denver's problem is its defense, not its offense, and not Jay Cutler, whatever you think of him.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Whatever. Jay Cutler is a very good quarterback IMO. Don't blame their crappy defense on him. That's the main reason he's 17-20.

6. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've watched every "heir apparent to John Elway" come through Denver and Jake Plummer was far better than Cutler or Griese. I just think Plummer realized there was a lot more to life than football after his best friend Pat Tillman chose the Army over football, and paid the ultimate price. Cutler throws one bad pass and then he either sulks or he gets mad and then compounds his mistakes even more. Cutler is like Jeff George.....fantastic arm but he doesn't have the mental toughness to be a winner.