1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Henning - stop with the QB roll out!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phins3454, Sep 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Am I the only one who hates it when Henning calls for a desgined QB roll out to the left/right? Its stupid because when Henne rolls out like that the defense knows he has to throw the ball that way. and generally its for only a 5-10 yard gain if executed correctly. I just hate it because it limits our offence. I know its only week one but Henning called those same plays last year at least once in every game. You just dont see other teams using the designed QB roll out too much, unless you have an athletic QB.

2. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Funny. During preseason we were praising Henne for his ability to throw on the run.

3. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Still cant deny the fact that it limits our offence and where Henne can go with the football

4. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    I don't think you understand exactly what a roll-out pass is.

5. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    when a QB rolls out to the left he throwing to the left. When a QB rolls out to the right, he throwing to the right. When a QB drops back or is in shot gun, he can throw to the left or right and down the field for a big pass.

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Henne consistently showed last year and this preseason when he rolls out to the right that he can make big plays. It's when he rolls out to the left and takes forever to get his feet set that worries me.

Given the instability of our interior line, I hope Henning actually calls out more roll-outs (to the right).

DaFish likes this.
  7. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think he's implying that you are oversimplifying the options that are possible with a rollout.
    We saw in preseason that a designed rollout will bring an extra blocker or two to get Henne's feet set. It gives the WRs a little more time to get open if the protection holds up.

dolfan7171 and Pariah like this.
  8. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    there are times to do a roll-out pass. In red zone is a good time or for shot yardage. but Henning calls for roll-out pass on 3rd and 10 when we"re on our own 30 yard line.

9. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Again, I don't think you get the concept of a roll-out pass.

Google it and learn what it is, and what it is supposed to do, then come back and complain if you see fit.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    you keep making the mistake that it is only for passes of 5-10 yards, when, IMO, it's also very well suited for passes of 15-25 yards. Just because the defense didn't allow longer passes doesn't mean that's the intention of the rollout. You have to be willing to give Buffalo's secondary credit. hell, it's the only really good part of their team.

Pariah likes this.
  11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Henning calls a lot of plays that really bug me but the roll out pass isn't really one of them. Henne has been pretty successful on the move.

12. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    And we better get ready to see more roll-out passes this week with a weaker Minn secondary, but a MUCH stronger front. If Henne stands in the pocket too long against Minn we could be in for a long game.

Bpk and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  13. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    agreed, that was my exact thoughts with the next 3 games with Minny, Jets and Patriots, all with very strong interior DL.

14. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    If you wanta think that a 10 yard pass is a big gain.

bigger plays can come from under center, shot gun, or play action.

Most of the great QB's big plays are not roll out passes

krypto likes this.
  15. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I can understand why we call more roll outs. Has anyone noticed that Henne looks slower in his drop this season. Yesterday he seemed like it was way too long getting set back in the pocket. A little more shotgun would be nice.

Bpk likes this.
  16. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Google Hennes biggest plays on roll out passes and compare it to under center or shot gun or play action. he may have more completions but his bigger yardage come from all but a roll out pass

17. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    And you dont think teams will watch film on this and realize that Henne is only succesful rolling out to his right? teams will catch on so fast, all they have to to do is watch last season films

Bpk likes this.
  18. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Dude, I am just telling you that you are not comprehending what a roll-out is. You are being completely shortsighted in your analysis of why we run the play. There are many aspects to the function of the roll-out beyond "run right-throw right, run left-throw left."

What I am saying is learn fully what the roll-out pass is, what its functions are, and why we call it -then come back and argue it. Instead you are presenting a very weak argument for why we shouldn't call it.

Steve-Mo, RickyBobby and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IIRC we had a big pass out of that roll out in the preseason. There's no nothing in the roll out that limits it to a short pass. I fact, you generally have a post as part of the pass patterns that goes with the roll out.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  20. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    man i´m worried for odrick and the outcome of this MRI and also for our ILB depth, i love micah johnson, dont know if i´m ready to throw him under the bus in an away game tryin to stop AP

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That is dumbest thing ever. Henne is good on the roll outs. It is a very smart call

22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Let's cut out all the run plays and throws to Bess while we're at it.

GMJohnson likes this.
  23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Only for a five-ten yard gain?

24. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Mike Lombardi and Mike Mayock both said that the year he was drafted that Henne was by far the best QB throwing on the run in the draft. I'm actually surprised we don't utilize the roll-outs more often.

Bpk likes this.
  25. Oghma

Oghma Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Scotland
    Isn't it possible that we call roll outs in situations where we are expecting a heavy pass rush in order to move the pocket and provide a protection scheme that takes Henne away from the rush?

Or its because our coaches purposely want to 'limit the field' for no reason at all.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It's the former IMO.

mbmonk, CaribPhin and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  27. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Yup..just like the 1st Jets game last year...they rolled him away from pressure several times with some success.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  28. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    That's why it's only PART of your gameplan, so you can mix it up and use it to build on your QB's strengths. And again, it's this silly misconception you have that it is only used for short pass plays. The key to a successful gameplan is the coordinator designing plays down the field on a roll out that gets our WRs open and the QB executing properly.

Do I want to see us use it every other down like we used to with Fiedler? No, that would be stupid and defenses would indeed figure it out. But if you use it a few times a game, it can be very effective.

29. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    My main issue with Henning is he seemed to go really Conservative after we went up 10-0 with 11 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

Henning seemed to take a "Not to lose" approach and was happy to try and settle for FG's. Carpenter missed a FG before the half and this left the door open for the Bills. Luckily our defense played pretty well and the Bill's offense wasn't able to get going, but had we played a better team this approach would have led to another Opening Game loss, just like the Texans beating us when Wanny was at the helm.

The Phins have to do better in the Red Zone and its starts with Henning calling better plays.

Bpk and Merauder like this.
  30. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Henne's rollout vs the Jets last year gave the Dolphins the chance to win the game as it was on 4th down under 3 minutes to play. In fact he did the same exact play several times last year to keep the final drive of the game alive.

31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    more cowbell..more boots, more rollout's...Henne is excellent at throwing the ball on the run.

32. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I gotta say, even though it didn't get us a first down, I LOVED the rollout and throw across to Fasano. Perfect call there. Carpenter missed the FG if memory serves, but that got us into range.

33. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    This thread is a sinking ship.

Pariah, Steve-Mo, Oghma and 1 other person like this.
  34. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Uhm...Henne's biggest plays of his career have pretty much come out of the roll out. The fourth and game completion to Camarillo last year against the Jets comes to mind.

Oh and the biggest play of the preseason THIS YEAR came on a designed QB rollout pass to Fasano when Marshall blocked seemingly everyone downfield. I have zero problems with QB rollouts with Henne.

35. StillyStiff

StillyStiff New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Corvallis, OR
    Henne is a fantastic QB while rolling out. With our mobile offensive line and the strength of Henne's arm, I'd like to see more rollout plays personally. If you think a rollout to a given side limits an offense to only that side, you should watch a Texans game at some point. Matt Schaub has made some amazing passes to Walter outside of the left hash while rolling out to his right. A QB with a strong arm makes this possible because the ball doesn't necessarily hang in the air long enough for the defense to react.

36. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Here's another question:

It was in the 2nd Quarter and Dolphins get to the BUF 31 yard line. It's windy. It's 3rd and 10....Fins up 3-0

Henning called a draw to Ronnie (Typical Henning call).

Ronnie actually gets 11 yards and a 1st down. This drive lead to a TD.

I hated the draw call personally... How about you guys? Was it a call you hated or did you think it was a good call?

37. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I thought it was a good call. I like Ronnie or Ricky 1v1 on a db, which when they go nickel and the o-line executes their blocks, is what we should be getting. It is also the reason that Henning runs play action in those situations sometimes. Which a lot of people seem to hate, but I like. We did the same thing several times last year. Not many teams threaten both pass and run on 3rd and 7+.

38. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    After watching that sweet sweet Monday night game last night, We will need that roll out when playing the Jets. (did I mention how sweet that game was?)

Jets are a bunch of no discipline blow hards, but they do bring some real pressure, and that is where the roll out will help.

A good example of the roll out, see what Marino did against some fat guy's daddy's all world defense, on a Monday night a few years ago.

39. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Flacco rolled out a few times last night and it saved his life:up:

SeanP likes this.
  40. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    This. Flacco showed that a good QB can roll out and make the Jets defense look silly. That pass to Boldin specifically comes to mind.

If Henne can even get half the success Flacco got from the rollout, it'll be deadly against the Jets.