1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daniel Thomas still show no sign of progression.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Time after time today I saw Thomas run right into a mass of bodies when there was an open hole that he didn't see. He has still not progressed any in his field vision. On several plays his inability to see the correct running lane cost us vital yards and first downs. He had another fumble today that could have been crucial had Clemons not made a great play to get the pick in the end zone. And his 3.6 ypc average today (which I believe is right at his career average) is never going to get it done in the NFL. We looked like a far more competent offense with Lamar Miller in the game and I have to believe it's only a matter of time before this staff moves away from Thomas (who isn't one of their guys to begin with.) We must hope that Reggie Bush is back, and soon, as our offense looked lost without him.

***For those of you who claim I view the world through rose colored glasses and never say anything bad about Ireland (which is wholly untrue) here's one for you. Ireland made a mistake trading up to get Daniel Thomas***

Aquafin, xphinfanx, MAFishFan and 4 others like this.
  2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I was wrong about him and admit it. Trade him if Reggie isn't injured for whatever you can get. Miller is proving to be superior to him in every way outside of blocking

Bpk likes this.
  3. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Well he is running with a bit more determination, but yes he just doesn't have the vision. Frankly you wonder if he wouldn't do better bulking up and trying to move to FB, but I doubt that's on the cards at the moment.

If Bush is out he'll keep getting carries by default I imagine. However, if he can get some yards behind what appears to be pretty good blocking over the next few weeks he might have some trade value (not much, but a 6th rounder maybe?) when Bush is better.

Slaton is still unsigned so guessing he could be brought back (and might be anyway with a Bush injury), he has the advantage of already knowing what we're doing mostly.

4. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have never been high on Thomas and I would have preferred the Dolphins use Miller more in the second half. In fact I would have liked to have seen Thigpen used as a runner in the second half, instead of Thomas. I just don't see Thomas being around after this season.

5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He's such a mediocre player. He puts some effort and guts out plays, but he's really just a poor man's Ronnie.

Bpk likes this.
  6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Its crazy, he's got the physical tools, and can be a hard runner, and has some shifty-ness to him as we saw on the screen... like you said its his vision that just throws it all away.

Its the main reason I just dont understand why he's in there at the end of the game, and not Miller.

Trowa likes this.
  7. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Pass protection. Thomas is good, Miller is not.

jsizzle, CrunchTime and WhiteIbanez like this.
  8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Odd, thought he played fairly well, aside from the fumble..again.

Keep in mind the Jest were stacking the LoS, DTrain got his in that situation, stayed in to block and APPEARED to do well enough.

gunn34 and Larryfinfan like this.
  9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I wonder if Thomas actually fumbled today. Additionally, I don't fault him for the fumble at Houston (via concussive blow to the head). So both are questionable. But that is sort of his M.O.

At any rate, Miller got roughed up in pass pro when I watched him. But he's a better runner than Thomas and I'd hoped he'd find his way onto the field mote late. Neither one of them is Bush, who we hopefully won't lose for long.

- sent from my Android device via Tapatalk -

10. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Thomas made a crucial play on a screen for a big 3rd down conversion. I value Lamar Miller more as a runner at this point, but Thomas did have some tough runs inside.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  11. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    What do you question about him fumbling today. As for the fumble where he got a concussion, his poor field vision contributed to him receiving that hit, so I'm not prepared to just give him a free pass.

12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I question whether or not he was down first. Was the rare instance where the play was completely obscured from view.

Blows to the head are illegal. So my thinking is he probably doesn't fumble in Houston either. Just maybe a no-gain on the play. Or Miami gets 15.

- sent from my Android device via Tapatalk -

xphinfanx and unifiedtheory like this.
  13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    another terrific draft pick by IRISH>

14. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I understand the negativity towards a particular player, but let us hope he reaches his potential. His getting better helps the team, especially this year. It has been three games into the season, so let us wait to see if he progresses. If Miami can continue to run with authority, imagine how much this helps Tannehill? Tannehill hasn't exactly been lighting things up. Daniel Thomas can be an important piece of the puzzle.

While Miller is certainly a more exciting runner, this is not a guy you exactly want running the ball with any increased frequency, especially since he was only a starter for a year in college.

Miami was dealt a blow in this game, and we see how losing Bush changes the dynamic of this offense. This offense as of now runs through Reggie. Having Thomas AND Miller complement Bush is a must for Miami to be successful. Miami still managed 185 yards on the ground with Reggie only carrying the ball 10 times. I do not see this changing anytime soon with Tannehill having his rookie pains.

I thought Thomas showed some nice open field ability on the 3rd and 9 screen in the 3rd quarter, extending the drive. We saw this ability when he was coming out of college. Remember, Miami NEEDED a big back when he was drafted a year ago. Whether or not as fans that we agree on Miami moving up to get him is one thing, but I remember some excitement on this site when he was taken.

Tannehill still has some ways to go before we can rely on him to take over/manage a game. So as long as Reggie Bush can continue to do his thing (which I have no question he will), then having Thomas (and Miller) come in and share the other half of the carries is what this team needs for any chance of success this year.

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IMO, Steve Slaton is a more instinctive runner and better suited for this scheme, and the only reason Thomas was kept over him, was draft status.

NorFlaFin and Trowa like this.
  16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It amazes me how well Reggie runs against such stacked fronts. The gap between Bush and Thomas is even larger than I expected.

17. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

So what? Thomas is not the weakest link. Let's talk Naanee and Armstrong.

18. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    There's a thread for that. No need for it here.

19. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Wasn't it a play to Daniel Thomas that shook Revis out of his shoes?

20. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    When Bush comes back we need to try to deal Daniel Thomas away to make our next draft even sweeter than it will be. There's no doubt that Lamar Miller is much better than DT.
    When is the trade deadline and what kind of contract does DT have?

21. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    basically.

22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    If miller catches that screen he is probably still running as I type this. Just saying.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  23. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Go back and look at the Houston tape last year. Daniel Thomas was exceptional when the field is spread and he functions as a pass catching, north-south runner that makes a strong move and gets 5-6 yards a carry. He struggles mightily against base fronts. Why Miami can't see this I don't know...

Why coaching staffs can't see that Odrick is a DT I don't know.

Why Lamar Miller is pass protecting with Javorskie Lane in the game, I don't know...

24. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Trowa, I think I'm going to have to agree with you for about 99% of your assessment here. Ireland is a great talent scout and saw something in Daniel Thomas which motivated him to trade up for him but Thomas either isn't cutting it in this league or on this team. He was a fine college running back and had the potential to make is as a good back in the NFL, but it just hasn't worked out here in Miami.

I don't know what we could get for him, but I think it's time we start looking around. His average is just horrible and I dont see him being another powerback Jerome Bettis.

25. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I agree 100%. Shows once again DTs lack of vision. If he takes that out to the sideline after his first move he scores.

Trowa likes this.
  26. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Trade deadline was moved back if I'm not mistaken. As of now Thomas has no value.

27. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The way Bush, and then Miller was gashing the jets, I have no clue why we stuck with DT. 19 for 69? Everyone else was well over 5 yds a carry.

Sent from my iPhone

SICK and Nappy Roots like this.
  28. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm with you on that. There are some criticisms of Philbin that I see being hurled at him over this game that I think are way off (e.g. running Reggie Bush at the end of the 1st half) but one that resonates with me is why give Daniel Thomas 11 more carries in the second half when not only is he not getting the job done from a yardage perspective, but he's a CLEAR fumble risk? It didn't make sense.

DePhinistr8 and Bumrush like this.
  29. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Agreed. Thomas is clearly inferior.

30. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    This.

31. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Pass protection?

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My sense is that the issue is being over played, especially when you consider how much of a clear fumble risk Daniel Thomas poses.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  33. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Also, this...

"See the play where Tannehill went to hand it off to Miller, but he went the wrong way and Tannehill had to eat it? That's why LM doesnt play"

That's a tweet from Ben Volin.

34. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    If that's why LM doesn't play, that's a pretty stupid reason. Mistakes happen...that's a lot less damaging than Mr. Fumble. I think what Miller brings in ability more than makes up for 1 botched hand-off.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The coaches and quarterback can make adjustments so that they know Miller is on the same page. Again I see why people are making it a big deal, but I don't know that it actually IS a big deal.

36. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Thomas was running extremely hard. However, you and I and everyone knows he is not a true running back. Hence, he finds himself in awkward positions at the end of his bursts.

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't mind Thomas because I think he has talent. Despite this thought, I think its obvious that Miami's most talented back is Lamar Miller even with the success of Bush. Miller just has to get on the same page. There were rumors pre-draft process (eventually confirmed) that he had issues on the board.

ssmiami and Stringer Bell like this.
  38. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    That was more awful vision by Thomas. He scores if he stays to the outside.

39. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think Thomas has played that bad. I think whatever issues he has are being magnified by the other backs on the roster. I'm not sure I'd trust LM over Thomas in short yardage at this point.

40. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Can you post the all 22 to show this?