1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daniel Thomas to the IR

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Dec 19, 2012.

1. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams, Shane Vereen, Mikell Leshoure, mistakes also?

2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Of course. If we examine those other options then we can get a view on how good/bad the decision was. But up to this point it's been senseless criticism, as usual.

3. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Yeah, so?

FinD defends Ireland more than most. He called a spade a spade. Kudos to him. It was a mistake.

I LOL'd at the Saints for taking Ingram in the first round. That was more than a mistake

dolfan22 likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I dunno. I think we aren't getting a traded up 2nd pick worth of production from him, therefore it was bad pick. This wasn't Ireland's best draft. Granted he had no blueprint to draft for though. I don't think you should draft for the best player available I think you should draft the best player available that fits your system. There was no system other than do everything you can to kick a field goal and maybe we'll let the running back throw it sometimes but probably not.

It happens, every Gm has less than stellar drafts.

MAFishFan and Eop05 like this.
  5. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Funny thing to me is: Daniel Thomas should've been a great back in a Philbin/Sherman system, so it all should've worked out in the end.

Unfortunately he didn't turn out all that good, and he gets hurt every 25th play

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    So, there's a difference between a bad decision and a wrong decision. Addressing RB early in the draft was a good idea considering what we had at the time. DT has been a disappointment so far but so have all of the other RBs who were drafted that year. I can forgive a good decision that doesn't work out I.e. trading for Brandon Marshall or hiring Bill Parcells. If u wanna talk bad decisions check out Pat White or Eddie Moore.

7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ok. But Reggie Bush has been a more than capable starter, where is the 10 page thread on how Irish swindled the Saints for a 5th rounder? We have a lot of posters who pretend to be analyzing the GMs performance when they are really just bashing him. And anyone who points this out is a homer or defender.

Lucky for us we have pros running the team and they aren't as easily swayed.

8. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Your argument that Daniel Thomas was a good decision that didn't work out is the same as someone arguing that Eddie Moore was a good decision that didn't work out. In fact, I don't think WanSpiel traded up for Eddie Moore, so it could be argued that the Thomas decision was worse than Eddie Moore.

9. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    The Reggie Bush deal was a win-win for both the Saints and Dolphins. No one got swindled.

Reggie Bush might have been released had Miami not jumped in.

And Reggie Bush has been a decent player for us. He's been the subject of a lot things wrong with the offense this year. And I tend to agree with a lot of it. In fact, I'd rather a healthy Daniel Thomas taking the bulk of the carries. Unfortunately, the guy cannot stay on the field. Thomas and his one cut style fit better and are more productive, IMO.

So put me in the category of people who don't feel Reggie Bush was a clear cut victory for the Miami Dolphins and/or Jeff Ireland. And I think this will be evidenced when they let him walk this offseason, IMO

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If Reggie Bush for a 5th isn't a win then there is no such thing as a win for Irish.

But for some reason he is still viewed as having done a decent job, as evidenced by him keeping his job when the mob wants him fired.

djphinfan likes this.
  11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Since he is only in his second year and he was a second round draft pick, it wouldn't be saying much about his ability if the Dolphins put him on injury reserve, just so they can play a free agent RB and a back they drafted in the fourth round.

Thomas has been injury prone since he was drafted by the Dolphins in 2011. Ireland gave up three drafts picks to move up and take him in the second round. This was another blunder by Ireland. I don't see Thomas being a part of the Dolphins future.

Assuming Bush won't be signed after this season, it appears the Dolphins will be in the market for at least one or possibly two new running backs next season.

12. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Perhaps. But they won't be in the market for a new GM so why not blabber endlessly about something else?

13. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Sure there is. But Reggie Bush, IMO, is not a win. Not a loss....but not a win either

Pouncey, Hartline, Bess, all wins. Wake is a grandslam. Reshad Jones, win.

After seeing the team play this year, I think he's done a decent job with this roster. I think there's hardly any players that do not perform up to their contract, and that's a key. Jake Long, IMO, is the only guy that is grossly overpaid. Dansby, though overpaid, is still a solid player.

I think he failed in a few areas, particularly this offseason at WR among others. But he has a lot of resources this offseason to make right on that. I'm cautiously optimistic.

14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thigpen, Lane, Burnett, Wilson, Carroll, Clay, dare I say Tannehill, all good pick ups from what I've seen thus far. Yeah, WR is our Chernobyl but as u said he has the tools to fix that. If he does, we'll be in good shape.

Eop05 likes this.
  15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That, and they also had a coaching change. But in the end Marty Hurney got canned for reasons other than Jimmy Clausen. One of my old bosses actually played football at UT with Jimmy's brother Rick - let's just say from what I've heard, the apple didn't fall far from the family tree, both personally and on the field.

16. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    We got swindled by the Bush trade! He was going to be cut!

17. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yes, and really he's lost 3 fumbles this year. Not great, but not egregious either. Hes been a great draft pick in my opinion. Coughlin taught Tiki to carry it higher to avoid fumbling.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He should be given one more opportunity next season, I think. Draft a back, and have the 2 best between Gray, Thomas and the drafted back make the team. If the back is a high pick, have Thomas and Gray fight for a roster spot.

19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

What a surprise.

Daniel Thomas is now the two-time, consecutive winner of the Joe Toledo Durability award, sponsored by Viking Home Appliances.

20. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Cool. Let's stick a skirt on him and give him some poms poms as well and make him a cheerleader.

21. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Hey, if your happy with Ireland as the teams GM, so be it. I happen to know many Jets and Patriot fans who are on the Ireland bandwagon also. They want Ross to sign him to a new, long term contract. That way they are assured that the Dolphins won't be a threat in the AFC East for years to come.

Are you a Jets or Patriots fan, or perhaps a Bills fan. It is obvious you are not a Dolphin fan, if you are happy with the job he has done in his five years with the organization.

22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's obvious that you are a fair-weathered fan with nothing but the slightest shred of compunction about bandwagon jumping preventing you from becoming a 49ers or Patriots or what-have-you fan. Your intellectual laziness and inability to rationalize or tolerate anything besides immediate success makes you a nuisance that is best tolerated by better fans.

(That's probably not fair, but at least it's original and not the thirtieth time I've posted it)

Fin D and ToddPhin like this.
  23. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ....sums it all up that you actually listen to Jets fans.