Dansby Talks about being overweight.along with other players..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Nov 16, 2011.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    20 lbs overweight and the confusion about dressing, tells me he hasn't a clue, nor is he working with someone who does..Leader, highest paid player..not good..results reflect.

2. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    what a good excuse your making for prof athletes who get paid millions to perform with their bodies...a 270lb linebacker IS a big slob...Its a disgrace, and the teams performance reflected it on the field.

''Dansby says he thought he was eating alright but found out later he was wrong.''

That statement makes me laugh...These are grown men, not children.

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Dj, just from having worked for a former player (a Hall of Famer here in Cincinnati) and hearing the stories he and his playing buddies have said; it's just the way the league is. Certain guys go out and get wasted the night before a game. Some guys did more drugs than you'd ever care to know. Some of them couldn't understand the playbook unless it was drawn in crayon, that type of stuff.

And, to boot, they don't have a regimented offseason plan, of course they're going to be overweight/out of shape regardless of how much money they're being paid. It's just the way it is in the NFL (and I'm sure other sports too). But, in a way, I think it's better that it happened to certain players on the Miami Dolphins this offseason. I think it just shows how far the Dolphins really are from being a legitimate contender, and coupled with how badly they've been coached, it's really hit home. I mean, we saw Davone Bess videos of him working out in a gym; that's not the same type of stuff they'd be getting in an NFL program during the offseason. Couple that with Miami probably having as much or more distractions than any other city for any other team...just a bad mixture all around.

For the record, the player I worked for was married prior to getting drafted by the Bengals, and started a family very soon into his playing career. He didn't drink, didn't party, and to this day, still doesn't. He was focused on raising his family. In today's game, there's a very small amount of players who come into the league with situations like that.

However, in the long-run, this season's record will likely get rid of Tony Sparano, and might get rid of Jeff Ireland (though, I'm not sure just how good or bad that will be. Or if we'll ever really know for sure), and will refocus the organization on doing something they've not done in a long time: get a franchise quarterback.

Trackstar likes this.
  4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    20lbs overweight is not a big slob. you need perspective. and I've known plenty of grown men who don't know everything proper about staying in "shape". That has nothing to do with it.

muscle979 likes this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't need perspective Luck, 20lbs overweight for a linebacker is just blantant laziness, I'am not the one who didn't take their craft serious enough where it affected my performance..

I think you need to put into some perspective the impact of what his shape was, relative to his performance for the first quarter of the year...The guy was not good..bottom line, he's admitted it, and it's obvious to me why he is...If you don't wanna accept it, ok, you can keep lookin for answers to an 0 and 7 start.

6. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You make it sound like he just magically dropped 20lbs in the week prior to the Chiefs game and all of the sudden became really. That wouldn't be the case. The entire team underachieved the first seven games of the year regardless of certain players being in our out of shape. I think more or less, Dansby's play the last two weeks is more a product of the Chiefs and Redskins being really bad, and schematic changes within the Dolphins defense; not whether or not Karlos Dansby's in shape or not.

I remember an intervew with Clay Matthews, a physical freak, in which he said he actually put on about 5-10lbs of bulk (i.e. fat) during the season to help withstand some of the punishment he takes. There's a difference between being in shape and being in "football shape". The majority of your LBs and players who are naturally bigger playing the positions they play, aren't going to be guys cut from slabs of granite with 6-pack abs. That's just not the way football works.

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I'm not saying its an excuse, I am saying its an answer. And expecting pure perfection is not being reasonable.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I just don't think what Iam saying is unreasonable for a professional athlete bro..The key word here is athlete, which has a direct correlation to the body..

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    every individual athlete can train their body to be the best that their genetics allow...not doing everything you can do is a disservice on many levels..Iam not expecting all of them to have the same results but they all can put it the time effort, and education, to produce maximum individual results...There is no excuse Ro.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I understand the social life of an athlete, but you still get up and take care of the body...its part of the job...and if they don't think it is, then things need to change, especially in this town.

11. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    You absolutely need perspective. Karlos Dansby is one extremely small part of what caused 0-7 and you want to crucify the man. You act like you were with him all summer. You don't even know what kind of weight he put on. Putting on extra muscle can absolutely make you slower when it comes to running and moving around. But here you are proclaiming Karlos Dansby a fat slob who doesn't take care of body when really all you have to go on is a generic statement that he made.

12. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    In shape or out of shape, the fact is that the Dolphins still lack talent on the team and they remain one of the worst teams in the NFL. They have beaten only the Chiefs and the Redskins and neither of these teams are very good. Even after these wins, I don't see the Dolphins winning more than four games this season. The fact that Dansby and others on the Dolphins were not in shape early in the season clearly shows that this team is made up by a bunch of children who can't do what it takes to remain in shape during the off season without someone constantly telling them what to eat and how to properly exercise.

That is what separates the good teams from the bad teams in the NFL. The Packers held no off season workouts, yet their players were in shape from the beginning of the season. Using the excuse that the players on the team were out of shape and that is why the Dolphins started 0-7, is an excuse for losers. I blame the players who were out of shape and Ireland for drafting and signing players who are not mature enough to do what it takes to get ready for the NFL season.

I am not a fan of Sparano but I don't blame him for the laziness of the players this past off season. He can only work with the players Ireland gives him and Ireland has done a lousy job of providing Sparano with quality NFL talent.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no I don't...Yeah he put on extra muscle, thats why he was 270 lbs and confused about salad dressings..lol..

He is the leader and highest played player on this football team..He has a responsibility to lead his side of the ball and set an example..He failed in that dept, and his side of the ball came out of the gates as the worst unit in the league after 4 games, there was visual evidence that they could not hang from a cardiovascular perspective..I'am being critical because he failed at being our leader, and most likely it cost us football games..

Stop sticking up for a player that got a 50 million dollar contract and who comes into camp 20 lbs overweight and who seeminly doesn't understand some simple nutritional concepts.

14. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's Paul Soliai, at least for this year. But he's the highest paid defensive player in the history of the Miami Dolphins.

As for Dansby, I'm not sure why you're pinning it all on him. There's been guys on both sides of the ball with injuries. There's been churning of the roster in certain places, most notably the secondary. Dansby himself was playing a new role. Vontae Davis and Sean Smith switched sides of the field in certain circumstances, which I don't think has yet be adequately explained. The offensive line was miserable - including Jake Long - right up until the Kansas City game. Tony Sparano went for two against Denver when he should've kicked an extra point. There's a laundry list of reasons as to why the team started 0-7; but I think being out of shape to start the season is pretty far down the list. Maybe the first two games it was a bit more noticeable, but it hasn't been as big of factor as the other things from that point on. This team is just not as good as many people anticipated they'd be. I know you said you yourself were guilty of mis-evaluating them as well. There's just more to it than being out of shape.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ive said my peace with the man, the blame has to start from somewhere, his play in the first quarter of the season reflected what being 20lbs overweight for a linebacker can do, {admittedly so} and his lack of leadership and not organizing his unit this offseason also is to blame.

Play like a probowl player, a crazed fu%$ing dog, help your team go 9 and 7, and I will start the forgiving process.

16. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    The second week of the season Pittsburgh shut out Seattle 24-0
    I wish our defense could look that "awful"